Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey all,

So I’m studying the LPC in September and naturally I wanted to apply for scholarships to ease the cost of the course. I took the scholarship test and got the confirmation email that I passed.

In July I got the results from my university that I achieved a First; this was great because I thought that now I should be eligible for the Business and Law First Scholarship which was worth £5,000.

This is where the problems began.

First of all I wasn't able to get my official transcript and award from my university until the middle of August when the results of the scholarship were due 30th July, so I figured I would email the scholarship team and see if there was any way to verify my results so I could still be eligible for the scholarship. This then began a long chain of emails where the scholarship team kept telling me that ‘You cannot choose any specific scholarship(s). It is the University’s decision to decide which award and amount is to be given to which student.’. This was not what I was asking for at all… I just wanted to know if there was any way I could confirm my result from my undergraduate degree so that I could still be eligible for the scholarship that required a First.

After MULTIPLE emails where the scholarship team even told me that no scholarship required undergraduate results of a First or distinction at Masters (?), I called them and was on the phone for 30 minutes having the same back and forth discussion. They told me that if a scholarship required evidence they would ask for it after results of the scholarships came out. How on earth does this make sense? Say they have 50 scholarships that require a First, and they offer it to everyone that has the ‘highest grade’ on the scholarship test and are then told by 30 of those students that they don’t have a First, what do they do with the leftover scholarships after results day?

I was hoping that someone could please explain this to me as I am just so fed up. Results day has passed and I was offered another scholarship for £2,000 but not the one I wanted. I just want to know if that is because I was not eligible for the Business and Law First scholarship due to them not knowing my results, or because I just did not perform well enough on the test.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey all,

So I’m studying the LPC in September and naturally I wanted to apply for scholarships to ease the cost of the course. I took the scholarship test and got the confirmation email that I passed.

In July I got the results from my university that I achieved a First; this was great because I thought that now I should be eligible for the Business and Law First Scholarship which was worth £5,000.

This is where the problems began.

First of all I wasn't able to get my official transcript and award from my university until the middle of August when the results of the scholarship were due 30th July, so I figured I would email the scholarship team and see if there was any way to verify my results so I could still be eligible for the scholarship. This then began a long chain of emails where the scholarship team kept telling me that ‘You cannot choose any specific scholarship(s). It is the University’s decision to decide which award and amount is to be given to which student.’. This was not what I was asking for at all… I just wanted to know if there was any way I could confirm my result from my undergraduate degree so that I could still be eligible for the scholarship that required a First.

After MULTIPLE emails where the scholarship team even told me that no scholarship required undergraduate results of a First or distinction at Masters (?), I called them and was on the phone for 30 minutes having the same back and forth discussion. They told me that if a scholarship required evidence they would ask for it after results of the scholarships came out. How on earth does this make sense? Say they have 50 scholarships that require a First, and they offer it to everyone that has the ‘highest grade’ on the scholarship test and are then told by 30 of those students that they don’t have a First, what do they do with the leftover scholarships after results day?

I was hoping that someone could please explain this to me as I am just so fed up. Results day has passed and I was offered another scholarship for £2,000 but not the one I wanted. I just want to know if that is because I was not eligible for the Business and Law First scholarship due to them not knowing my results, or because I just did not perform well enough on the test.
Hello

I am so sorry to hear that you have experienced this.

I am unsure on why this has concerned. But my best advice would be to contact the proposed campus that you wish to study at (contact the student information team) - https://www.law.ac.uk/students/support/

Im sorry this is not the answer you were looking for but I hope this helps

I wish you the very best of luck during your studies

Tabby
(Student Ambassador - Guildford)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.96%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.39%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (27)
24.11%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.79%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.25%

Watched Threads