Find the possible values of k for the quadratic equation 2kx^2 + 5kx + 5k - 3 =0

Watch
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Find the possible values of k for the quadratic equation 2kx^2 + 5kx + 5k - 3 =0 to have real roots.
Name:  16278121370518504840815770772522.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  270.6 KB
so isn't the discriminant supposed to be b^2 -4ac >=0 over here?
but in the ms they just used greater than (>0) sign why?
and why is the curve a sad face? isn't it supposed to be a happy face because the coefficient of x^2 is positive?
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 1 month ago
Apad121
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

It's because if it is =0 it would have one "real root" while your question says "real roots" that's plural which means it must be >0

Hope this helps!
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Apad121)
Hi there,

It's because if it is =0 it would have one "real root" while your question says "real roots" that's plural which means it must be >0

Hope this helps!
oh thanks i inderstood the first part now. but then i don't get why is the curve a sad face though?
Apad121
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
oh thanks i inderstood the first part now. but then i don't get why is the curve a sad face though?
They are plotting to find the value of K. This is no longer the original equation they're plotting but the one beginning -15k² so it is a "sad" face. This is a standard method of finding quadratic inequalities.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That solution is written very poorly and yes I'd read the question to mean at least one real root. They shouldn't turn the inequality to an equality like that. Instead you read the solution set to the inequality from the sketch (looking at where the curve lies above or on the x-axis) with the intersections 0 and 5/8 in mind.

Bear in mind the sketch is of 3k(-5k + 8) and not the original quadratic. The leading term is -15k^2 hence the "sad face" shape.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
That solution is written very poorly and yes I'd read the question to mean at least one real root. They shouldn't turn the inequality to an equality like that. Instead you read the solution set from the sketch (looking at where the curve lies above or on the x-axis) with the intersections 0 and 5/8 in mind.

Bear in mind the sketch is of 3k(-5k + 8) and not the original quadratic. The leading term is -15k^2 hence the "sad face" shape.
so according to the question the discriminant is >=0 right?
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
They

They are plotting to find the value of K. This is no longer the original equation they're plotting but the one beginning -15k² so it is a "sad" face. This is a standard method of finding quadratic inequalities.
Hi there,

Hope this helps!
wait,.... over here you said, "It's because if it is =0 it would have one "real root" while your question says "real roots" that's plural which means it must be >0" but when the discriminamt =0 it has 1 repeated real roots so it's still plural though.
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 1 month ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so according to the question the discriminant is >=0 right?
I would say so, it's not very clear. An actual exam question would be clearer.
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
I would say so, it's not very clear. An actual exam question would be clearer.
thank you!! i was really scared cause i recently had a test on this chapter and rn after looking at this question's ms i felt like i really messed up my grades this time. 😂 so it's a relief to hear that. thanks again. :3 <3
Apad121
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wait,.... over here you said, "It's because if it is =0 it would have one "real root" while your question says "real roots" that's plural which means it must be >0" but when the discriminamt =0 it has 2 repeated real roots so it's still plural though.
It is standard in A level questions to be worded like this which can be frustrating.

One root is another way of saying repeating root because it only touches the X axis at one point. It isn't called "2 repeated roots" _formally but just "1 repeated root" so it shouldn't be plural.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is standard in A level questions to be worded like this which can be frustrating.

One root is another way of saying repeating root because it only touches the X axis at one point. It isn't called "2 repeated roots" _formally but just "1 repeated root" so it shouldn't be plural.
I'd think they'd say "distinct roots" where that is expected. I don't remember it ever being ambiguous. (indeed most weird/badly asked questions in textbooks wouldn't make it to the final exam since they're checked much more carefully) I'd expect them to say "at least one real root" if they allowed a repeated root.

If it was ambiguous, they would/should accept both interpretations.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with the above, but its always worth checking before you (the book) starts talking about a quadratic discriminant, that
a = 2k
(a is the x^2 coefficient) is not zero. Otherwise the quadratic formula is irrelevant (no quadratic term or divide by zero) and hence the discriminant is irrelevant as well. If you simply assume the discriminant / quadratic formula is valid, you might get into problems. In this case, if k=0 you have
-3 = 0
Its not even valid, never mind having any type of roots.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (363)
84.22%
No (68)
15.78%

Watched Threads