The Student Room Group

Graded 0 in first year module - will it cause problems in the future?

Hi everyone,

In my first year I did not submit the assignments for one of my modules (was dealing with stress and issues) and therefore got 0 in that module. I still managed to get a 2.2 overall in first year and have received a 1st in second year.
First year doesn't count towards my overall university grade but I'm wondering if there are any consequences of being graded 0 in that module since it's on my university transcript. Will I have issues when applying for jobs? I'm considering teacher training, do you think it could cause problems?

TIA
Reply 1
First year in general has no impact on the final grade
Reply 2
Bump
Not at all, so long as your overall degree classification is of a decent standard then you will be perfectly ok. I can understand your concern about the zero being shown on your transcript but honestly don't be. Worst case scenario someone may ask about it but you can very easily reply it was your first year and your were adjusting to the new life and studying etc. Additionally teacher training may ask about certain grades on transcripts but again this is pretty rare and it's more a case of they look at your personal statement more and why you wish to be a teacher etc. Don't worry yourself too much!
Original post by Daseri
Hi everyone,

In my first year I did not submit the assignments for one of my modules (was dealing with stress and issues) and therefore got 0 in that module. I still managed to get a 2.2 overall in first year and have received a 1st in second year.
First year doesn't count towards my overall university grade but I'm wondering if there are any consequences of being graded 0 in that module since it's on my university transcript. Will I have issues when applying for jobs? I'm considering teacher training, do you think it could cause problems?

TIA

Depends on your course requirements. In lots of degrees this could lead to your final degree moving from honours status to ordinary/unclassified.

You will need to check the formal course guidelines.
Reply 5
Original post by angelofessence
Not at all, so long as your overall degree classification is of a decent standard then you will be perfectly ok. I can understand your concern about the zero being shown on your transcript but honestly don't be. Worst case scenario someone may ask about it but you can very easily reply it was your first year and your were adjusting to the new life and studying etc. Additionally teacher training may ask about certain grades on transcripts but again this is pretty rare and it's more a case of they look at your personal statement more and why you wish to be a teacher etc. Don't worry yourself too much!

Thanks!

Original post by mnot
Depends on your course requirements. In lots of degrees this could lead to your final degree moving from honours status to ordinary/unclassified.

You will need to check the formal course guidelines.

Thanks, I will try and find the course guidelines, if not maybe my personal tutor will know.

Is there much difference between an honours and a regular degree? For example, if a job requires 'a degree or equivalent' will my degree still count?
Original post by Daseri
Thanks!

Thanks, I will try and find the course guidelines, if not maybe my personal tutor will know.

Is there much difference between an honours and a regular degree? For example, if a job requires 'a degree or equivalent' will my degree still count?

Yes, honours status is important an ordinary degree is unclassified.
It also depends if the course is externally validated. Ie my law degree, I had to pass everything (with 40%) for it to be a qualifying law degree. Same with engineering I think.
So you need to read the handbook for your course.
Reply 8
Original post by Catherine1973
It also depends if the course is externally validated. Ie my law degree, I had to pass everything (with 40%) for it to be a qualifying law degree. Same with engineering I think.
So you need to read the handbook for your course.

I pretty sure my course isn't externally validated because it's not linked to a specific career like law or engineering.

The handbook for the course said nothing and the assessment handbook was a bit vague but I think I have a chance of graduating with honours since it only mentioned passing modules in second and third year, nothing about first. I'll have to speak to the relevant people after summer.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest