Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do shared kitchens tend to work? Do people get their own shelves in fridges / freezers etc. and what do you share / not share? E.g. washing up liquid?
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes usually you get a a few shelves/draws, then one shelve in the fridge and freezer, but depending on how many you are sharing with this could be less so you might have to negotiate sharing space.

Everything else is up to you and your flatmates to decide what they/you are willing to share and what not. Generally you will share staples like milk as there isn't really space for lots in the fridge and sort out a rota between the people who use these items, same with washing up liquid as there isn't really loads of space unless you take it into your room every time.
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In Halls we had an assigned cupboard above and below - wasn't very big but enough space. Between the 8 of us we had 2 fridge-freezers, and had a shelf in the fridge and a shelf in the freezer. It didn't really matter in the end though bc some people depending on what food they had in, had more of one than the other, and if you ask didn't mind sharing a shelf
We shared washing up liquid, milk, and things like trays, toastie makers, drinks glasses (shot ones mostly) - ofc it depends how everyone feels about sharing stuff (luckily in the flat I was in we all got on pretty well).

We mostly got the things as and when we needed them - cleaning stuff like washing up liquid, sponges and washing up liquid were gone through quite quickly however (despite having a v kind cleaner who came in twice a week)
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 month ago
flamingolover
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How do shared kitchens tend to work? Do people get their own shelves in fridges / freezers etc. and what do you share / not share? E.g. washing up liquid?
It generally depends on your flat/housemates. In mine we have a communal cleaning cupboard with washing up liquids, sponges etc. Everyone brought one in the beginning and if you notice you are low you just buy one and it works like that. I share milk with one other girl (who shares my fridge). I have 2 fridges between 5 so we each have 2 fridge shelves (one person has a shelf in both fridges). There are only 8 freezer spaces so 2 of us have 1 and the others have 2. We have cupboards on the bottom and on the top. So we each have a cupboard on the bottom and a cupboard on the top so its fair and equal.

Some flats were not organised and just chuck their stuff wherever. I recommend not doing this unless you really dont care. I like organisation so I got there as early as possible to put my stuff in an organised manner which meant that everyone else did as well. If you can find you flatmates before hand this is something you can mention! Same with washing up liquid and stuff. I brought loads of bleach and cleaning stuff, one flat mate brought hand towels for the bathrooms, one brought hand wash for all the bathrooms. (we have 4) etc.
flamingolover
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
In Halls we had an assigned cupboard above and below - wasn't very big but enough space. Between the 8 of us we had 2 fridge-freezers, and had a shelf in the fridge and a shelf in the freezer. It didn't really matter in the end though bc some people depending on what food they had in, had more of one than the other, and if you ask didn't mind sharing a shelf
We shared washing up liquid, milk, and things like trays, toastie makers, drinks glasses (shot ones mostly) - ofc it depends how everyone feels about sharing stuff (luckily in the flat I was in we all got on pretty well).

We mostly got the things as and when we needed them - cleaning stuff like washing up liquid, sponges and washing up liquid were gone through quite quickly however (despite having a v kind cleaner who came in twice a week)
Did your cleaner come into your kitchen to clean?? Ours dont and they also wont clean our bathrooms if there are any empty toilet rolls in there!
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by flamingolover)
Did your cleaner come into your kitchen to clean?? Ours dont and they also wont clean our bathrooms if there are any empty toilet rolls in there!
Yea they did come into the kitchen - they also hoovered the hallway as well :yep: plus also had someone occasionally come and take out the glass bins and foodwaste bins as well
Not sure on shared bathrooms as everyone on my flat had ensuites where toilet paper definitely wasn't provided :nah:
flamingolover
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Yea they did come into the kitchen - they also hoovered the hallway as well :yep: plus also had someone occasionally come and take out the glass bins and foodwaste bins as well
Not sure on shared bathrooms as everyone on my flat had ensuites where toilet paper definitely wasn't provided :nah:
Ours don’t hoover anything! They definietly don’t touch the bins. Ah yeah I’m in shared bathrooms and if there’s any bottles in the shower or anything they don’t clean which is annoying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads