The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Bella_trixxx
Not 100% sure?!?! Oh come on, that sounds pretty good to me! :biggrin:
*grumble*Much less obscure than UCL's "we hope you will make us your firm choice" */grumble*

Heh, maybe i'll be seeing you there come september....

Already been up twice.... let's just say i hit quite a few pubs :biggrin:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 361
albiesworld
anyone hear about history or ir offers/rejections? I'm getting really anxious as st. andrew's is a big option for me and i can almost feel that LSE rejection coming

hey I posted before but I have an offer from IR and Modern History :rolleyes: :woo:
since I am an international student my offer came long time ago
and don't be scared about lse since they send answers rili rili late
"longer you wait better the news" an admission officer told me :wink:
Haha, I hope thats true cause the waiting is getting to me big time
Reply 363
DeadChicken
Just got am email today from admissions because i'm going up for an open day in a few weeks and was confirming my position....

"we are delighted that you have applied to study here, and you should shortly receive a formal response to your application through the UCAS system. It is our intention that this response will be positive."

not 100% sure but it sounds reasonably good.... however "our intention" is a bit obscure, I mean ARGHHHHH!!!!

I recieved that email.

Was it from the school of computer science, by any chance?
Reply 364
hey guys. does anyone know what this ucas day thing is about? because i am an international student and i dont know if it is the same like for example interviews in oxford or it doesnt have so much significance, for example more like an open day or something.
thanks
Reply 365
I don't know how international students apply, so I will briefly explain UCAS (if you use UCAS, please feel free to skip this bit)

UK students apply to UK universities through UCAS (University & Colleges Admissions Service) and you apply to 5 universities (only a maximum of 4 can be for medicine). The universities will then make offers. Since not all the offers made by the universities are accepted, they make more offers than they have places. If you accept an offer from a university, (and in the case of a conditional offer meet the conditions) then the university MUST take you on that specified course, whether or not they have room. An offer is a legal contract.

When you are made your offers, if you have all your qualifications, an offer will normally be unconditional. If you do not, then usually your offer will be conditional on what grades you achieve. You then accept your offers. If you accept an unconditional offer, that's it. If you accept an conditional offer, you then have the option to set another offer as an "insurance", in case you do not meet the conditions of your original ("Firm") offer.

Universities do not want to be your insurance. If you select them as a firm offer, generally most people meet the conditions, and they can make arrangements for your arrival. If you reject them, then they obviously won't. If you set them as an insurance, it makes life difficult for them logistically.

Therefore, universities hold "UCAS days" in which they invite applicants to see their university department in more depth (read: advertise to you) in the hope, that if they made you an offer, then you'll put them as a firm.

Many universities (even if they don't say it) are reluctant to give an offer without advertising to the student. If you get an initiation to a UCAS day, GO! The first thing said to me at my UCAS day in Southampton was "Ok, since you've all come, we're making you all our standard offer". For some universities an invitation to a UCAS day means that your application has made it past stage 1, and the university is taking your application seriously
Bucky!
I recieved that email.

Was it from the school of computer science, by any chance?

Ye, I applied for computer science and maths :biggrin:

You up at the end of January??
Reply 367
Indeed :smile:
Bucky!
Indeed :smile:

Guess I'll see you there then!
Bucky!
"we are delighted that you have applied to study here, and you should shortly receive a formal response to your application through the UCAS system. It is our intention that this response will be positive."

I recieved that email.

Wow, was this part of the acknowledgement they've sent you? In mine was just:
"For applications from the UK and EU, most of our offers will not be made until after the UCAS deadline, 15th January. This is because we are committed to considering equally all applications eligible for funding from the British government.":mad:
Reply 370
The deadline for my course was 2 and a half months ago and I still haven't heard anything :frown:
butterflyaway
"For applications from the UK and EU, most of our offers will not be made until after the UCAS deadline, 15th January. This is because we are committed to considering equally all applications eligible for funding from the British government.":mad:

Mine was the same...I would have loved to have gotten the first one :wink:
Reply 372
butterflyaway

I received that one from the central admissions office straight after sending in my application.

The new email is from the CS department itself.
Reply 373
Bucky!
I don't know how international students apply, so I will briefly explain UCAS (if you use UCAS, please feel free to skip this bit)

UK students apply to UK universities through UCAS (University & Colleges Admissions Service) and you apply to 5 universities (only a maximum of 4 can be for medicine). The universities will then make offers. Since not all the offers made by the universities are accepted, they make more offers than they have places. If you accept an offer from a university, (and in the case of a conditional offer meet the conditions) then the university MUST take you on that specified course, whether or not they have room. An offer is a legal contract.

When you are made your offers, if you have all your qualifications, an offer will normally be unconditional. If you do not, then usually your offer will be conditional on what grades you achieve. You then accept your offers. If you accept an unconditional offer, that's it. If you accept an conditional offer, you then have the option to set another offer as an "insurance", in case you do not meet the conditions of your original ("Firm") offer.

Universities do not want to be your insurance. If you select them as a firm offer, generally most people meet the conditions, and they can make arrangements for your arrival. If you reject them, then they obviously won't. If you set them as an insurance, it makes life difficult for them logistically.

Therefore, universities hold "UCAS days" in which they invite applicants to see their university department in more depth (read: advertise to you) in the hope, that if they made you an offer, then you'll put them as a firm.

Many universities (even if they don't say it) are reluctant to give an offer without advertising to the student. If you get an initiation to a UCAS day, GO! The first thing said to me at my UCAS day in Southampton was "Ok, since you've all come, we're making you all our standard offer". For some universities an invitation to a UCAS day means that your application has made it past stage 1, and the university is taking your application seriously

oh i see. thanks a lot. but going to the ucas day from slovakia and not getting an offer could be very disappointing. but since i dont have any invitation it makes no sense to worry about it
_denis_
oh i see. thanks a lot. but going to the ucas day from slovakia and not getting an offer could be very disappointing. but since i dont have any invitation it makes no sense to worry about it

Denis, you are from Slovakia? Wow, I'm applying from the Czech Republic :smile:. Which courses are you applying for?
lavada
hey I posted before but I have an offer from IR and Modern History :rolleyes: :woo:
since I am an international student my offer came long time ago
and don't be scared about lse since they send answers rili rili late
"longer you wait better the news" an admission officer told me :wink:

Good job on the offer! Ir+modern history is pretty much what i want to study so we might end up in the same course. Im international as well so going by that logic i should of gotten an offer by now:frown:
Just out of curiosity where are you from?
Reply 376
albiesworld
Good job on the offer! Ir+modern history is pretty much what i want to study so we might end up in the same course. Im international as well so going by that logic i should of gotten an offer by now:frown:
Just out of curiosity where are you from?

haha thank you.. but you are from EU and the acknowledgement mail said that EU and UK students will mostly hear from us after Jan 15 so don't worry:smile:
I am from Turkey:smile: and just out of curiosity which college did you applied for oxford? b/c I got rejected from the same course as well:frown:
Reply 377
Hi I'm applying to StA this year.
Are there some EU citizens here?
I'm not quite sure about my fee status. Could somebody tell me if I have to pay fees as an EU citizen and if so how high they are.
Somebody told me that as an EU citizen I do have to pay they same fees as scottish students.
Thanx in advance.
Reply 378
fg08
Hi I'm applying to StA this year.
Are there some EU citizens here?
I'm not quite sure about my fee status. Could somebody tell me if I have to pay fees as an EU citizen and if so how high they are.
Somebody told me that as an EU citizen I do have to pay they same fees as scottish students.
Thanx in advance.

EU Students pay the same fees as the English students (that is, English students at Scottish universities) at around £1775 per year (£2825 for medicine). Scottish students don't pay tuition fees.

Below is a link to this years fees (2009-2010 haven't been published yet, but will be probably slightly higher (~£50 more)

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/money/Tuitionfees/ug/
Reply 379
Bucky!
EU Students pay the same fees as the English students (that is, English students at Scottish universities) at around £1775 per year (£2825 for medicine). Scottish students don't pay tuition fees.

Below is a link to this years fees (2009-2010 haven't been published yet, but will be probably slightly higher (~£50 more)

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/money/Tuitionfees/ug/

Thx for the answer.
Is it possible to take out a loan from the scottish government?
I'm a bit confused coz I don't find it on the website of the university.

Latest

Trending

Trending