Gongala
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm thinking about doing an economics degree at unis but im also considering doing a flying start degree in Nottingham. How do I cater my personal statement towards both an accounting or economics degree?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where would you be applying to for economics?
Gongala
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Where would you be applying to for economics?
I was considering maybe LSE or Warwick University.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gongala)
I was considering maybe LSE or Warwick University.
I think you need to be cautious here. There is a real issue with economics which, unlike most courses, can be hard to get offers for at the leading universities even for very strong applicants. Every year we see people with phenomenal predicted grades apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, AN other and get either no offers or only one. Plenty of reasons to be brave so long as you are happy with the risk and possible year out but you do need to have a very strong and focussed personal statement.

I think you should contact both PWC and Nottingham to see what they recommend in your position. I'm sure loads of others have been in the same place and they will want to attract the best candidates. You really need to prepare an economics personal statement if that is what most of your applications will be for - hopefully Nottingham/ PWC will allow you to submit a second PS for their course.
Gongala
Rep:
?
I think you need to be cautious here. There is a real issue with economics which, unlike most courses, can be hard to get offers for at the leading universities even for very strong applicants. Every year we see people with phenomenal predicted grades apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, AN other and get either no offers or only one. Plenty of reasons to be brave so long as you are happy with the risk and possible year out but you do need to have a very strong and focussed personal statement.

I think you should contact both PWC and Nottingham to see what they recommend in your position. I'm sure loads of others have been in the same place and they will want to attract the best candidates. You really need to prepare an economics personal statement if that is what most of your applications will be for - hopefully Nottingham/ PWC will allow you to submit a second PS for their course.
Thanks for the reply. They have said that I can only apply with 1 PS but the chances of getting in for the flying start degree is quite slim. I think I may write my PS entirely on Economics and hope they can still accept me. Do you think this could work?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply. They have said that I can only apply with 1 PS but the chances of getting in for the flying start degree is quite slim. I think I may write my PS entirely on Economics and hope they can still accept me. Do you think this could work?
Were they (the uni of Nottingham?) clear on whether the chances of getting into the flying start degree were slim because they are generally pretty slim (lots of applicants/ few places) or they would be slim if you apply with an economics PS?
Gongala
Rep:
?
Were they (the uni of Nottingham?) clear on whether the chances of getting into the flying start degree were slim because they are generally pretty slim (lots of applicants/ few places) or they would be slim if you apply with an economics PS?
They said there are usually lots of applicants and around 60 spaces so I thought the chances were slim. I think they would also be slim for economics too though
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They said there are usually lots of applicants and around 60 spaces so I thought the chances were slim. I think they would also be slim for economics too though
I think that lost (most?) decent candidates for accountancy would look at the PWC courses! Would be worth asking if they transfer your application to another course at Nottingham if you don't get the PWC offer. I think some of the universities with flying start courses do this - not sure if all do.

I think the offer rates for economics should be pretty good - unfortunately things were so different due to covid for the last 2 years that there isn't really recent data to look at.
username5814355
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I saw a video from Nottingham stating that they don’t actually look at the personal statement for the programme, they just make sure you have the grades and send you the link for the assessments.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/open-da...3-40f9dcc12290
Last edited by username5814355; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (362)
84.19%
No (68)
15.81%

Watched Threads