What would you need to feel comfortable starting a family at this point in your life?

Watch
username1240252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In theory, what would you need to be ready to go to start a family at this point in your life?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Full time teaching gig and the equivalent of 6 months wage in the bank
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't feel comfortable starting a family at this point in my life (at 25). I want to have some years just with my (hypothetical) partner and focus on the two of us, before we take the next, irreversible step of having kids.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Working ovaries
username5655466
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A house of my own, a good job, savings enough for at least one of my children's uni. And a loving, communicative and supportive partner who is stable financially.
Last edited by username5655466; 1 month ago
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A degree, a well paid job, and a wife.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mental sanity.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
assuming "starting a family" means me getting pregnant. they don't typically allow 16 year olds to adopt babies lool
money
parents that wouldn't disown me for getting pregnant/having sex irresponsibly

(Original post by CoolCavy)
Working ovaries
and this ^^
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The will to get married and have kids
Rufus The Red
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty much everything given my age, relationship status, personal wealth (or lack thereof) and current interest in the matter.
catchrylie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Being in a stable job and having a stable relationship.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Justaboutalive)
A house of my own, a good job, savings enough for at least one of my children's uni. And a loving, communicative and supportive partner who is stable financially.
Had all of that, but once you have the family, they seem to eat an awful big hole in it! so urlocalinmate's idea of mental sanity then becomes a must!😂
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Children are the cement of a good marriage/ partnership, but pay the price for a bad one. So the element the most important for me is having a dependable partner.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At least one property that I own mortgage free, compatible male who is committed to being a co-parent at 18 years, access to a household income of at least £110k and the ability to provide a child with a safe & stable living environment.
Hoping to have achieved most of these within the next few years.
username1240252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
At least one property that I own mortgage free, compatible male who is committed to being a co-parent at 18 years, access to a household income of at least £110k and the ability to provide a child with a safe & stable living environment.
110k is quite a high threshold to start a family in my opinion (even in London I think), as well as a mortgage free property in London
username5655466
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
Had all of that, but once you have the family, they seem to eat an awful big hole in it! so urlocalinmate's idea of mental sanity then becomes a must!😂
Oh they must, there are 5 of us kids in the family, so I know how big that hole can be aha.
urlocalinmate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
I am the big brain here.
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A decent wife.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
realistically speaking i think you are going to have to take up with a wealthy guy to achieve this within the next few years unless there's something you arn't mentioning.

as i honestly don't see how you could get together such a large amount of money/assets so quick
Nobody2u
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
realistically speaking i think you are going to have to take up with a wealthy guy to achieve this within the next few years unless there's something you arn't mentioning.

as i honestly don't see how you could get together such a large amount of money/assets so quick
Why would the guy have to be the wealthy one? It's not unknown, in fact it's increasingly common for the women in a household to earn more than the guys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads