Late 20s with no qualifications, money or career direction.

Watch
Palace1993
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everybody, I am really sorry for the length of this post, and I will try to be as straight to the point as I can, but I am pleading for any of your help to get me out of my situation and give me some guidance please.

I am 27 years old, going to be 28 in a few months, with no prospects for my future. This has caused me to become stressed and depressed, because I look back at my life and think what have I done and where have all the years gone?

I live in Glasgow, Lots of my family and extended family have graduated and gone on to have good jobs, even my friends have got decent jobs but me personally, have just failed in my life.

Academically in school I did not try hard enough - achieved only 4 A - C's GCSEs which included both English, Maths, Spanish and R.E but the rest I achieved D's. Due to not getting 5 A-C grades, I couldn't get into 6 form to do A Levels.

Since then, I went to on travel for a few years across Asia and Australia, where I worked in low paid hospitality roles.

I returned to UK two years go and worked in a few call centre's which obviously hasn't challenged me at all – I now find myself in a crap admin role that I dislike with no real opportunity of career progression.

I’ve spent endless hours doing ‘soul searching’, personality tests to match me up with potential career fields, researched different fields I may like etc but truth is I don’t a clue what I may be interested in doing, I have only a few passions and none of them I can take into a career.

I mean I cannot live my life like this anymore, I am 27 with no savings and on like £14k a year in a dead end job with no prospects of moving up.

My friends and siblings are on double / triple that money.. I feel so ashamed on what I am doing with my life. I also have shut myself from the friends I have because they always go on about how successful they are and it basically makes me feel like crap.

I just need some guidance please guys. Now the problem is you will ask, what do I like to do? This is the problem, because i have wasted so many years of my life doing hospitality or skill-less jobs, I have no idea what I am good at or what I should do?

I enjoy fitness and genuinely taking pleasure in helping people but have been put off by the idea of being a PT as it’s such a saturated market and everyone has a licence nowadays.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?
Could college be an option? Are there any job fields that don’t require qualifications/skills I could apply for that you’d recommend?

I’ve considered the armed forces but I’ve been away from the UK for too long I’m ineligible to apply until late 2022.

I’m not very hands on so a trade probably wouldn’t be best, I also can’t see myself trying to get into Uni as quite simply I don’t think I have the patience or intelligence so complete a degree.

Please help guys and any questions you have, feel free to ask.
Ella Werner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Palace1993)
Hello everybody, I am really sorry for the length of this post, and I will try to be as straight to the point as I can, but I am pleading for any of your help to get me out of my situation and give me some guidance please.

I am 27 years old, going to be 28 in a few months, with no prospects for my future. This has caused me to become stressed and depressed, because I look back at my life and think what have I done and where have all the years gone?

I live in Glasgow, Lots of my family and extended family have graduated and gone on to have good jobs, even my friends have got decent jobs but me personally, have just failed in my life.

Academically in school I did not try hard enough - achieved only 4 A - C's GCSEs which included both English, Maths, Spanish and R.E but the rest I achieved D's. Due to not getting 5 A-C grades, I couldn't get into 6 form to do A Levels.

Since then, I went to on travel for a few years across Asia and Australia, where I worked in low paid hospitality roles.

I returned to UK two years go and worked in a few call centre's which obviously hasn't challenged me at all – I now find myself in a crap admin role that I dislike with no real opportunity of career progression.

I’ve spent endless hours doing ‘soul searching’, personality tests to match me up with potential career fields, researched different fields I may like etc but truth is I don’t a clue what I may be interested in doing, I have only a few passions and none of them I can take into a career.

I mean I cannot live my life like this anymore, I am 27 with no savings and on like £14k a year in a dead end job with no prospects of moving up.

My friends and siblings are on double / triple that money.. I feel so ashamed on what I am doing with my life. I also have shut myself from the friends I have because they always go on about how successful they are and it basically makes me feel like crap.

I just need some guidance please guys. Now the problem is you will ask, what do I like to do? This is the problem, because i have wasted so many years of my life doing hospitality or skill-less jobs, I have no idea what I am good at or what I should do?

I enjoy fitness and genuinely taking pleasure in helping people but have been put off by the idea of being a PT as it’s such a saturated market and everyone has a licence nowadays.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?
Could college be an option? Are there any job fields that don’t require qualifications/skills I could apply for that you’d recommend?

I’ve considered the armed forces but I’ve been away from the UK for too long I’m ineligible to apply until late 2022.

I’m not very hands on so a trade probably wouldn’t be best, I also can’t see myself trying to get into Uni as quite simply I don’t think I have the patience or intelligence so complete a degree.

Please help guys and any questions you have, feel free to ask.
First of all, do not be so hard on yourself. Just relax and everything will fall back in place. You just need to identify what you love doing most and that will certainly give you direction of what you should do consistently to bring you closer to financial freedome.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Age 20 and sameeeee
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I am in a somewhat similar situation although I was fortunate enough to finally secure a position in a bank after doing basically retail / warehouse jobs after graduation from top universities, the job at the bank is however stressful and quite honestly repetitive and underpaid, but there is some prospect of advancement down the line (extremely slow progression), however I likewise have no savings as the little I had I spent on travelling

Honestly from what you've described I'd look for something like an international lorry driver job, you certainly can have savings from that kind of job, or join an international cargo ship crew. Alternatively try health and social care that pay 500 GBP per week, or some kind of night shift at business processing services semi-warehouse - it is possible to max out 30k with this line of work, google companies like "Williams Lea" and other business processing outsourcing companies

For the long-term though, the best thing would be to learn and secure a trade, whether that's electrician, gardening or some kind of driver. If you do consider going to university I highly recommend something really practical like accounting, nursery or becoming assistant at a dental clinic etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
On the positive note: you have a really transferable experience on CV in call centre / sales, which means you have interpersonal skills applicable to many different roles

I've re-read your post and actually Armed Forces sounds like a good idea by 2022 as well
Palace1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ella Werner)
First of all, do not be so hard on yourself. Just relax and everything will fall back in place. You just need to identify what you love doing most and that will certainly give you direction of what you should do consistently to bring you closer to financial freedome.
Thanks for the reply Ella. How does one discover what they love? Where do I even start?
Palace1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Age 20 and sameeeee
You're still so young, I wish I could roll back the years and work on this now. Best of luck!
Palace1993
Rep:
?
I am in a somewhat similar situation although I was fortunate enough to finally secure a position in a bank after doing basically retail / warehouse jobs after graduation from top universities, the job at the bank is however stressful and quite honestly repetitive and underpaid, but there is some prospect of advancement down the line (extremely slow progression), however I likewise have no savings as the little I had I spent on travelling

Honestly from what you've described I'd look for something like an international lorry driver job, you certainly can have savings from that kind of job, or join an international cargo ship crew. Alternatively try health and social care that pay 500 GBP per week, or some kind of night shift at business processing services semi-warehouse - it is possible to max out 30k with this line of work, google companies like "Williams Lea" and other business processing outsourcing companies

For the long-term though, the best thing would be to learn and secure a trade, whether that's electrician, gardening or some kind of driver. If you do consider going to university I highly recommend something really practical like accounting, nursery or becoming assistant at a dental clinic etc.
Thanks for the reply!

I don't like the idea of driving around all day, I'd like more variety in my line of work if I'm honest. Also being at sea for a long period doesn't sound ideal. Health and social care is a shout! It's a field I have looked into before. I've thought about learning a trade but I don't have the money to earn an apprentice wage for 3+ Years, also I'm not very hands on..

All the best in your role at the bank!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
You're still so young, I wish I could roll back the years and work on this now. Best of luck!
Thanks but aging is freaking me out
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I've seen other people in the same position as you. They normally quit their jobs following an existential crisis, and dress in north face puffy jackets. They hang around the town centre and frequently are seen in handcuffs outside the bus stop. You still have time to save yourself.
TCA2b
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I personally found those quite useless. They're an okay starting point for further research given that they present you with lists of occupations that they think might fit, but ultimately I find the only way you're really going to figure out if a job is for you is by trialing it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I've seen other people in the same position as you. They normally quit their jobs following an existential crisis, and dress in north face puffy jackets. They hang around the town centre and frequently are seen in handcuffs outside the bus stop. You still have time to save yourself.
If you could also add some recommendations for the OP to your otherwise witty comment
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
If you could also add some recommendations for the OP to your otherwise witty comment
sure.

OP - employers like the skills you have demonstrated, such as the call centre job, which can be stressful at times, and require good people skills. Estate agent?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads