Filing complaints to the OIA

Watch
Lozza1022
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone here got any experience in filing a complaint to the OIA? I have until February 2022 to file one.

For context, I'd be filing complaints against the Sheffield School of East Asian Studies for a plethora of reasons, though most notable for failure to implement my Learning Support Plan effectively and bullying against students (trust me, I experienced that on Japanese Studies from one teacher, and from a Korean teacher).

I guess the advice I'm looking for is what makes an effective statement for the complaints and dissatisfaction with previous outcome sections, as well as sounding reasonable in solution sections (I'd hope to get some form of compensation out of it but an apology would be acceptable at least).
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is something that your student union should be able to help and advise on.
Lozza1022
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
This is something that your student union should be able to help and advise on.
I've already tried that, got some good advice from one of the financial service workers but on the whole, my SU has been pretty useless about it, just been passed around between multiple services saying "you should contact this service" this and "we cannot do anything, please file it to the OIA" that. So much for "Best SU Experience in the UK".
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I filed two complaints in March 2020 (or maybe April 2020, I forget) with OIA: one was a joint complaint with two peers, regarding an issue that affected us all, and then a separate complaint about disability-related issues (which was linked to the group complaint but since I was the only disabled person, the OIA and I agreed those concerns should be filed separately).

I'd recommend having a thorough read of the info available by the OIA site, as it tells you want you can and can't ask for/expect. I too was seeking an apology and a proper offer of adequate financial compensation when I filed my complaints; however, my peers and I asked in the group complaint that the apology ought to come from a specific person (in our case, the Principal - i.e. head of entire uni). We were told that this is not something the OIA is able to assist with, in terms of telling specific people to do or not to do something (oops)

It's important to note that taking things to the OIA is not to restate your complaint, but to cite a failure in the management of your complaint, by the uni. So whilst I haven't looked at the paperwork I submitted in a while, I believe myself and my peers stated (alongside my general complaints about how they'd handled the issue that caused me to complain in the first place) that my uni had gone against their own protocol; also, that the handling of the complaint had taken longer than reasonably expected (this was in 2018-19, so pre-covid, so uni couldn't cite that as an excuse).

Due to the disability complaint, our complaints were prioritised as urgent by the OIA and we had a very good (and seemingly senior) casehandler assigned to it. In the end, our group complaint was deemed Justified by the OIA, resulting in better compensation and changes to procedures for future cases (which my uni have to provide proof of implementing, to the OIA). My disability case was resolved via a four-figure settlement sum in the end (my uni were very desperate that things should not end up in court ), so I don't know whether the OIA would have deemed it Justified or not. I was told my the casehandler it was quite a complex and unique case... :beard:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
17.01%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
14.43%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise