How does a P45 work?

Watch
Askellad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I worked at my previous job for 2 years but I never got taxed because I didn't earn enough. After quitting the job I was never given a P45. Do I not get one if I was never taxed on the job or was I supposed to get one anyway?
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should have got one
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Askellad)
I worked at my previous job for 2 years but I never got taxed because I didn't earn enough. After quitting the job I was never given a P45. Do I not get one if I was never taxed on the job or was I supposed to get one anyway?
You should have been given one.

The point of the P45 is it states what you've earned and how much tax you've paid in the tax year up to the point where you left. You given this to the new employer so they can use the figures to make sure you get taxed correctly in your new job. This is to make sure you don't underpay tax (and get hit by a bill at the end of the year) or overpay tax (and have to wait for a refund).
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you've lost it or can't remember, you can just fill in a P46 for your next job. Make sure to check your next payslip as well to see if it's all correct for your situation.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads