Blue_skies124
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I picked pharmacy to do as my undergraduates but I’ve started questioning whether I should do it because of how many negative reviews I’ve read about it and the lack of progression it has especially working in community pharmacy.
I checked for medicine with a foundation year on clearing but there isn’t any courses open to U.K. applicants via the clearing website. I’m now thinking of waiting for my results then depending on how I do, take out a gap year to continue working and getting experience and then going for pharmacy but I’m not sure on how it works. Would I lose the place I receive for pharmacy and would I have to reapply again?
I don’t know what to do because I know for sure that my grades wouldn’t be good enough for medicine
And would it be possible to take out a gap year and then apply for medicine with a foundation year?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blue_skies124)
I picked pharmacy to do as my undergraduates but I’ve started questioning whether I should do it because of how many negative reviews I’ve read about it and the lack of progression it has especially working in community pharmacy.
I checked for medicine with a foundation year on clearing but there isn’t any courses open to U.K. applicants via the clearing website. I’m now thinking of waiting for my results then depending on how I do, take out a gap year to continue working and getting experience and then going for pharmacy but I’m not sure on how it works. Would I lose the place I receive for pharmacy and would I have to reapply again?
I don’t know what to do because I know for sure that my grades wouldn’t be good enough for medicine
And would it be possible to take out a gap year and then apply for medicine with a foundation year?
Medicine demands high grades and relevant experience. Its highly competitive and isn't a course/career to be undertaken lightly.

Medicine places in Clearing are exceptionally rare as most Unis will either take near miss applicants or those who they interview but didnt make an offer to. Foundation places (ie. 6 year Med degree) are even more unlikely as spare places will usually be given to near-miss applicants from the 5 year course.

Med Foundation courses are usually 'widening participation' courses - ie. for those from low achieving schools or specific UK postcodes with low Uni attendance rates. However, most Med Schools will make lower grade 'contextual' offers for the standard 5 year Med degree to those meeting similar criteria. Check carefully.

My advice would be to wait until you have your A level results before you make any decision.
If your results are high enough for Medicine (AAA) then take a gap year, get some experience in any sort of 'care' setting over the summer, take UCAT/BMAT and apply in September. You can only apply for 4 choices for Medicine so your 5th choice could be Pharmacy - and yes. your previous offer Uni wont mind a reapplication. You can't 'carry over' any offer from this year - you have to make an entirety fresh application.

Its also worth looking at other Bioscience/Biomed courses - less completive and may be available in Clearing this year.
Blue_skies124
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Medicine demands high grades and relevant experience. Its highly competitive and isn't a course/career to be undertaken lightly.

Medicine places in Clearing are exceptionally rare as most Unis will either take near miss applicants or those who they interview but didnt make an offer to. Foundation places (ie. 6 year Med degree) are even more unlikely as spare places will usually be given to near-miss applicants from the 5 year course.

Med Foundation courses are usually 'widening participation' courses - ie. for those from low achieving schools or specific UK postcodes with low Uni attendance rates. However, most Med Schools will make lower grade 'contextual' offers for the standard 5 year Med degree to those meeting similar criteria. Check carefully.

My advice would be to wait until you have your A level results before you make any decision.
If your results are high enough for Medicine (AAA) then take a gap year, get some experience in any sort of 'care' setting over the summer, take UCAT/BMAT and apply in September. You can only apply for 4 choices for Medicine so your 5th choice could be Pharmacy - and yes. your previous offer Uni wont mind a reapplication. You can't 'carry over' any offer from this year - you have to make an entirety fresh application.

Its also worth looking at other Bioscience/Biomed courses - less completive and may be available in Clearing this year.
What if I achieved AAB would that draw out any possibilities of doing medicine
I feel so unsure on what I want to do
I was happy with pharmacy until I read about the lack of progression and declining pay in pharmacy
Would that mean I’d have to rewrite a new personal statement
Or could I perhaps defer my place at the accepted uni because I’ve seen many people who didn’t have to rewrite their personal statement and secured their position at their chosen uni
I think I meet the widening participation criteria but if my grades weren’t of the accepted medicine entry requirements, would that decrease my chances of being accepted
Last edited by Blue_skies124; 1 month ago
gryffindor_02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blue_skies124)
I have read a lot of articles etc. that have suggested taking a gap year this year is probably a very bad choice unless you're committed to spend basically all of it doing relevant work experience but it seems like you plan to do that which is good!

A lot of places seem to be very oversubscribed and asking people in medicine and allied subjects to defer a year anyway - maybe you could ring or email your chosen uni to ask to defer if you get a place? You only lose your place if you decline it flat out or don't meet the grade requirements as far as I'm aware 🤷

As for foundation year for medicine...it is going to be even more competitive for 2022 entry than 2021 according to an article I read (don't remember which, sorry) so really think about it. A lot of people won't get into their med courses due to missed grades and so will apply for foundation year if they really want to pursue it (this is likely to be higher than normal as med seems to be even more oversubscibed than usual) along with those who would apply normally!

Whatever happens, good luck! What is meant to happen will happen even if it doesn't seem like it at the time!
Blue_skies124
Rep:
?
(Original post by gryffindor_02)
I have read a lot of articles etc. that have suggested taking a gap year this year is probably a very bad choice unless you're committed to spend basically all of it doing relevant work experience but it seems like you plan to do that which is good!

A lot of places seem to be very oversubscribed and asking people in medicine and allied subjects to defer a year anyway - maybe you could ring or email your chosen uni to ask to defer if you get a place? You only lose your place if you decline it flat out or don't meet the grade requirements as far as I'm aware 🤷

As for foundation year for medicine...it is going to be even more competitive for 2022 entry than 2021 according to an article I read (don't remember which, sorry) so really think about it. A lot of people won't get into their med courses due to missed grades and so will apply for foundation year if they really want to pursue it (this is likely to be higher than normal as med seems to be even more oversubscibed than usual) along with those who would apply normally!

Whatever happens, good luck! What is meant to happen will happen even if it doesn't seem like it at the time!
Why is it a bad choice to take out a gap year this year? Is it to do with covid restrictions or any other factors
Ok, I’ll be doing that
I think I’ll give both of my chosen unis a ring and ask them if it’s possible to do that
I don’t think I’d get the grades to even do medicine so it’s a bit of a reach for me but with pharmacy I’d be happy doing that but with the job market I’m questioning it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (362)
84.19%
No (68)
15.81%

Watched Threads