Struggling to find work after graduating in Accounting

Watch
nightwolf8
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got a BA Accounting and Finance degree, and I've been really struggling to find any sort of job in the field since graduating. I've been trying for months and months to get one but no luck whatsoever I don't know what to do even do at this point, how do I even get my foot in the door?
Ak4753
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Uni, class, pre-university qualifications and target firms are all important for context.
nightwolf8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ak4753)
Uni, class, pre-university qualifications and target firms are all important for context.
Thanks for replying

NTU. First Class honours. 2 A Levels grade C (Maths and Business) and BTEC IT Distinction*. No previous experience in a finance role (Only in retail). Main target firms were the Big 4 but nothing specific after them, was applying for anything that looked promising
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
did you do the options to get the full 9 exemptions at ACCA? Which part of the country are you in/ would you be looking for work?
nightwolf8
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
did you do the options to get the full 9 exemptions at ACCA? Which part of the country are you in/ would you be looking for work?
Yes, got the full 9. I'm currently in the east midlands (Nottingham) and would want a role nearby
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nightwolf8)
Yes, got the full 9. I'm currently in the east midlands (Nottingham) and would want a role nearby
Thats good! I'll try to respond tomorrow.
nightwolf8
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Thats good! I'll try to respond tomorrow.
Thanks
StarLinyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not work in retail banking?
Ak4753
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for replying

NTU. First Class honours. 2 A Levels grade C (Maths and Business) and BTEC IT Distinction*. No previous experience in a finance role (Only in retail). Main target firms were the Big 4 but nothing specific after them, was applying for anything that looked promising
First of all congratulations on the 1st. This hasn't been an easy period.

Second, if you have no previous experience you may want to start by getting some. Maybe apply to intern at a small ACCA house? With the rest of the academic profile (outside of the 1st), big 4 acca may be a bit harder to land FT with no experience.
fossie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any previous work experience? (Any kind.)

I've rejected people with firsts before who haven't done anything at university apart from their degrees. If you fall into that boat, you need to start bolstering your CV with work and volunteering experience ASAP.

I'm not actually that bothered about relevant work experience (it's amazing how many students/graduates assume employers are), but I do need graduates to prove that they have a real world work ethic. How to do accountancy can be taught on the job, and honestly, I often prefer that (no bad habits). What I like is lots of work experience (ideally at the same time as your degree) to demonstrate you can handle real world hours, and you're likely to be able to cope with the pressures of working full time and studying on block release.

Thanks for replying

huahua_laughing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
have you applied for a graduate scheme? no need for work experience.
nightwolf8
Rep:
?
(Original post by StarLinyx)
Why not work in retail banking?
Never really thought about that, I'll have a look
nightwolf8
Rep:
?
(Original post by fossie)
Do you have any previous work experience? (Any kind.)

I've rejected people with firsts before who haven't done anything at university apart from their degrees. If you fall into that boat, you need to start bolstering your CV with work and volunteering experience ASAP.

I'm not actually that bothered about relevant work experience (it's amazing how many students/graduates assume employers are), but I do need graduates to prove that they have a real world work ethic. How to do accountancy can be taught on the job, and honestly, I often prefer that (no bad habits). What I like is lots of work experience (ideally at the same time as your degree) to demonstrate you can handle real world hours, and you're likely to be able to cope with the pressures of working full time and studying on block release.
2 years in retail, but most of the roles ask for relevant work experience in a finance environment
MCKP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am in the same boat. The problem is all the internships that I have seen are aimed at students who are currently at university. How are you meant to find relevant work experience after actually graduating? I've got plenty of retail and voluntary experience.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How long since you graduated?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To copy something I wrote on another thread about graduate positions:

1) Large accounting firms. Its easy enough to google 'top 50 accounting firms uk' and check their websites for grade requirements. Some will accept your A level results but the number will be limited. EY and Grant Thornton would be good ones to look at for starters - particularly GT. Its worth making a list of, say, 60 firms on a spreadsheet and make a note of what their current requirements are, how firm these look and whether you meet them. That gives you a target list for when grad schemes open and web addresses to look at each couple of days in case new positions become available.

2) Large company grad schemes. For some A levels will be an issue but a huge number where it wont - tends to be more flexible than accounting firms.

3) Civil service - I think that should be a possibility and might appeal?

4) Local government/ NHS/ public sector - should be pretty big employers in Nottingham so worth looking into.

4) Smaller accounting firms. Check https://jobs.icaew.com. I'd guess there is an ACCA equivalent.

5) Normal entry into business accounting - get an entry level job, do some training and progress. Let me know if you are interested in learning more about this route - probably more common as going through grad schemes/ accounting firms but not often mentioned on these forums where people think grad scheme or bust.

When did you start applying for grad schemes, which ones and which stages did you get to? This is important as it gives a guide to how much emphasis you should put on this route. Clearly last year was very tough and very unusual.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try temping.
achieve526kk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
big four are so so so insanely challenging to get into
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads