simplyikrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what degrees do u think are most employable and why ?
kaiana
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by simplyikrah)
Computer science can be used in lots of different fields, so I would say it's pretty high up on the list
cvgk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
medicine
econhelp525
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Computer Science, Medicine, Maths.

Then Economics, engineering

Law

This is just from my perceptions though! I could be wrong, I'm not saying this is an absolute.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty much any of the top STEM courses i.e. sciences, medical types, engineering types, computer science, maths etc. and also law.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Computer science is definitely NOT the most employable. It’s actually got worse unemployment rates than pretty much every other subject. The government keep doing reviews into why this is but there’s no improvement in the stats.

Too many students pick it as a degree thinking it will prepare them for employment. It doesn’t. You need industry experience and commercial awareness plus a bunch of soft skills on top of a CS degree.
simplyikrah
Rep:
?
(Original post by econhelp525)
Computer Science, Medicine, Maths.

Then Economics, engineering

Law

This is just from my perceptions though! I could be wrong, I'm not saying this is an absolute.
which one do you think is highest paying?
simplyikrah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Pretty much any of the top STEM courses i.e. sciences, medical types, engineering types, computer science, maths etc. and also law.
how about business degrees and psychology degrees?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Teaching- we always need teachers.
Medicine/dentistry- we always need doctors, dentists etc I'm
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how about business degrees and psychology degrees?
Anything with ‘business’ in its name = Micky mouse degrees. For psychology only if accredited and you're going for a career in clinical psychology.
econhelp525
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Economics seems to be the best paying across degrees, although I'm not really sure why econ graduates are shown to earn more than maths graduates?? Must be something funny with the data
Anonymous1152
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anything with ‘business’ in its name = Micky mouse degrees. For psychology only if accredited and you're going for a career in clinical psychology.
Business computing
Business information systems
Business analytics

Mickey mouse too?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by econhelp525)
Economics seems to be the best paying across degrees, although I'm not really sure why econ graduates are shown to earn more than maths graduates?? Must be something funny with the data
I think there is a big fall off between economics at a top ranked university and those in the mid ranks. The top few courses are very quantitively focussed which may put them more into maths grad territory, and lots are aiming at jobs which pay very well for new grads and at the five year point.
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
things that are always needed - teaching, medicine, nursing, social work etc
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean most employable in the sense of proportion of graduates going on to graduate level work is almost certainly going to be medicine since the course is essentially designed to be a conveyor belt to working as a junior doctor in a foundation post in the NHS...

In my years of study in HE I've come around to the thinking that other than medicine there are no "employable degrees", there are only employable graduates - and it very much depends on the individuals and what they've done to make themselves employable, rather than the subject they studied.

Also I feel like doing a super niche degree that is objectively not "employable" or at least relevant to the modern workplace explicitly and then still going on to make something of yourself is more impressive than just getting into an "employable degree" and hoping that you get a job with minimal effort involved
cvgk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
depends on skills
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous1152)
Business computing
Business information systems
Business analytics

Mickey mouse too?
Yes. Computer science will teach you all of the fundamentals and help you adapt into any tech/IT related role. I've been working in software engineering and DevOps for around 10 years. Actually, a degree isn't even required.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes. Computer science will teach you all of the fundamentals and help you adapt into any tech/IT related role. I've been working in software engineering and DevOps for around 10 years. Actually, a degree isn't even required.
There’s a lot of technology apprenticeships. Don’t really need a degree for computer science anymore
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ten-Ten)
There’s a lot of technology apprenticeships. Don’t really need a degree for computer science anymore
Agreed.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
According to student beans the courses with the highest employment rates are subjects allied to medicine, teaching and education, veterinary science, nursing, medicine and dentistry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads