Sclaremonths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
i need help with this question why do we use the circumference of a circle over the area of a circle? Also once I calculated the energy how I know whether or not the string breaks?
The string is fixed at one end and wrapped around a tuning peg of radius 3.0 mm at the
other. The tuning peg needs to be turned through 3 complete rotations to increase the
tension in the string from 0 to 70 N in part (c).
Discuss, by estimating the energy stored in the string, whether there is a significant risk to
the guitar player when the string breaks.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You use the circumference because you have to calculate the extension of the string. The cross-sectional area of the tuning peg doesn't feature in any of the calculations.
Sclaremonths
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You use the circumference because you have to calculate the extension of the string. The cross-sectional area of the tuning peg doesn't feature in any of the calculations.
right- but my question is why or is this a general rule?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sclaremonths)
right- but my question is why or is this a general rule?
The question is about energy stored in the spring, energy stored is proportional to extension squared, to work out the extension when it's wrapped around a circle you would use the circumference of the circle and not the area. If it were wrapped around a pentagon you'd use the perimeter of that.
Sclaremonths
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
The question is about energy stored in the spring, energy stored is proportional to extension squared, to work out the extension when it's wrapped around a circle you would use the circumference of the circle and not the area. If it were wrapped around a pentagon you'd use the perimeter of that.
okay thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads