The Student Room Group

Easy meals

Hey, so I'll be left at home for a week whilst my parents go camping- we're avoiding me at risk for covid/ isolation as I'm going on a trip to London with my friend. It obvs means I'm cooking for myself. Does anyone have any simple meal ideas that can be narrowed down to make a portion or be re-heated the next day. Not a very picky eater just don't like spicy food much. I can cook well its just ideas i need. Thanks
Reply 1
Curries are pretty easy to make, then with the leftover rice you can have fried rice the next day.
any pasta dishes

make spaghetti and meatballs, make pasta bake, make mac and cheese, alfredo, the possibilities are endless. I'm not saying pasta just because of my name and pfp.

i would also say baked chicken.... you just wash chicken, add seasoning and slap it in the oven then suddenly you have a ton of cooked meat for about 2-3 days to eat with anything

i would say rice but some people think you can cook rice like pasta, theres so many ways to mess up rice without a rice cooker
(edited 2 years ago)
Here’s what I make for when I go to work and make 3 batches at once. Taste nice too, the idea is to keep it in the fridge and microwave when ready. 🙂

Rice
Mushrooms
Peas
Broccoli
Red peppers

I keep them in bento boxes so nothing mixes so I have different flavours and it doesn’t all blend into one. The only thing I mix is the mushrooms and rice so the rice absorbs the flavour of the mushrooms. 🙂
Original post by sassy sausages
Not a very picky eater just don't like spicy food much. I can cook well its just ideas i need. Thanks

Original post by Sinnoh
Curries are pretty easy to make, then with the leftover rice you can have fried rice the next day.

Maybe not the best suggestion :laugh:
Original post by sassy sausages
Hey, so I'll be left at home for a week whilst my parents go camping- we're avoiding me at risk for covid/ isolation as I'm going on a trip to London with my friend. It obvs means I'm cooking for myself. Does anyone have any simple meal ideas that can be narrowed down to make a portion or be re-heated the next day. Not a very picky eater just don't like spicy food much. I can cook well its just ideas i need. Thanks

Pasta is good - and when you reheat it, it has fewer available calories, which is a bonus! Also, if you really don't want to cook, then you could always pick out a healthy ready meal and put some simple veg with it to make a sensible meal with minimal cooking and preparation - particularly if it's only for a few days.
Thank you for the suggestions. Given me good ideas
Original post by mspaghetti
any pasta dishes

make spaghetti and meatballs, make pasta bake, make mac and cheese, alfredo, the possibilities are endless. I'm not saying pasta just because of my name and pfp.

i would also say baked chicken.... you just wash chicken, add seasoning and slap it in the oven then suddenly you have a ton of cooked meat for about 2-3 days to eat with anything

i would say rice but some people think you can cook rice like pasta, theres so many ways to mess up rice without a rice cooker

OP, please don't wash chicken! It's okay sometimes in America but not in the UK
yes dont wash chicken lol

uummm mild currys, pasta dishes, casseroles

theres this thing my mum does when things are a bit hectic, what with 3 kids lol chicken thighs/legs thrown in a dish with vegetables and potatoes, a bit of seasoning then put in the oven till its cooked. tastes great and you can sub the meat for pork chops or more veges
Reply 9
Original post by bones-mccoy
OP, please don't wash chicken! It's okay sometimes in America but not in the UK

Why not? All I've seen on that is about water splashing about which is easily fixed by cleaning afterwards.
Original post by Bio 7
Why not? All I've seen on that is about water splashing about which is easily fixed by cleaning afterwards.

You’re essentially spreading the bacteria on the outside of the chicken around the sink. Simply throwing it in the oven and cooking it appropriately “cleans” it. 🙂
Original post by Scienceisgood
You’re essentially spreading the bacteria on the outside of the chicken around the sink. Simply throwing it in the oven and cooking it appropriately “cleans” it. 🙂

I had to edit my message because what i originally said was a little rude but regardless of you washing your chicken, you still need to use cleaning products on any kitchen equipment /surfaces you have used to prepare the chicken. It is quite difficult to completely stop the spread of bacteria from chicken, however, as cleaning products will bw required to get rid of germs left by chicken regardless it doesnt make much of a difference whether or not you wash the chicken.

Im not sure if you ever disinfect your kitchen sink and sanitize the area, but this has been done in my family continuously because its not just meat that carries bacteria that goes into your sink. As my family also participates in selling food, it is their responsibility to check the quality of all meat they use and make sure that everything inappropriate to sell is removed.

So after saying this id just like to say thanks for thinking of my safety but cleaning chicken has more to it than rinsing it
(edited 2 years ago)
Cheese on toast, jacket potatoe, pizza
cerelac and honey
homemade pizza is easy yk just flatbread for base add some tomato sauce (not ketchup have standards lol) then toppings
Beans on toast
Sausage and mash
Stewed fruit and yoghurt
Ham and pineapple wraps
Turkey and lettuce sandwiches
Pasta
Pizza
Curry
Donburi
Rice or salad
Spaghetti
Dim sun
Stew and lasagna
Pies
Quiches
Cannelloni
Soups
Beans on toast, can be jazzed up with fried eggs, cheese.

Grilled chicken & veg, chuck it all in an oven tray, sprinkle over seasoning sachet, cook for like 45 minutes.

Salad, can be served with bread or a protein if desired

Sausage & mash.

Burgers with fixings

Fish finger sandwich
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest