Financial Advisory Watch

sam2933
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I’m a bit confused about all the different options available.

I know a lot of companies offer a 3 year contract to study for the ACA or the ACCA.

But I have heard of other companies that offer 18 month training positions where you also gain profession qualifications. I think these are more financial orientated, e.g Chartered Financial Analist.

How does this compare in terms of future employment options, the general job compared to accountancy and salary?

Is there any lists of companies that offer these types of programs or does anyone have any other general info about them?

Are these companies less common that the ones offering the ACA?

Also how do the exams compare to the ACA or the ACCA ones?

Thank you
sam2933
Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks
love2learn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sam2933)
I’m a bit confused about all the different options available.

I know a lot of companies offer a 3 year contract to study for the ACA or the ACCA.

But I have heard of other companies that offer 18 month training positions where you also gain profession qualifications. I think these are more financial orientated, e.g Chartered Financial Analist.

How does this compare in terms of future employment options, the general job compared to accountancy and salary?

Is there any lists of companies that offer these types of programs or does anyone have any other general info about them?

Are these companies less common that the ones offering the ACA?

Also how do the exams compare to the ACA or the ACCA ones?

Thank you
All ACA / ACCA programmes will involve some time in Audit (we've got a sticky now which should give you some more info), and if you want to become an accountant you need to do one of these.

I'm not sure which schemes specifically you're referring to, but financial advisory is often related either to corporate finance, or advising financial firms on issues such as risk etc.

What are you interested in, and what level are you at now?
sam2933
Hi thanks for your reply!

I am in my 3rd year of Civil Engineering at the moment. Thinking about applying to jobs and kind of moving away from Engineering as I'm interested in the subject but not what the actual job is like! Looks like you don’t really get paid as well as a lot of other jobs.

Considered accounting but it’s quite a commitment as most contracts are 3 years (i.e when you train for the ACA etc).

I’m not exactly 100% set on Accountancy at all. I'm just trying to work out my options and trying to find something that would suit me, i.e more numeracy related. I’m not going to go and be a writer lol. Also hoping to try and find something where its at least a slight advantage having an Engineering degree.

What are you doing at the moment, are you training for the ACA or anything like that?
thiscouldbelove97
Report 9 years ago
Hi

I looked at doing financial advising but a contact told me that its very hard as a fresh graduate to get a place. I can see the point - if I had loads of cash to invest I wouldnt want some young kid telling me what to do! I'm applying for accountancy now, its a big commitment but i'm gunna try for it.

I'd say, money isn't everything, if your happy in a job your going to be more successful than if your unahppy, whatever you do.
psl89
Report 9 years ago
for financial analyst, it is the CFA chartholder and it's also 3years working experience and there's 3 levels of exams to pass. Chartered financial analyst might be better for you but it depends on what you want. as an engineer,you are in a better position to assess risk, so go for CFA :P
animalmagic1984
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At Deloitte you can work in the Investment and Pension Consulting department (part of Private Client Services) and this is effectively providing financial advice to high net worth individuals (I used to work in this department). Its quite a small department (only based in London and Manchester offices) but it is financial advice.
sam2933
Thanks for the replies!

I'll have to have a think.....
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (765)
90.43%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (81)
9.57%

Watched Threads