The Student Room Group

Money is More Important Than Children

It's simultaneously rotten and funny how capitalism works. When we're children many of us are told we are special, our parents will do anything for us, people care about us, laws are put in place to "protect" us and we concentrate on what we enjoy and live our childhoods in the best way possible for ourselves.

Yet the businesses and industries we inject heavy amount of cash into couldn't really care less if we are children or we are adults. Take FIFA's microtransactions and lootboxes- manipulating kids into asking their parents for money to pay for cosmetic items-or outright making the transactions themselves if their parents' card details are on the console already. Children's love for football is pure and innocent, but the business and profiteering nature behind it tries turning that love into capitalistic sludge.

Obviously it's not just FIFA, there are so many other videogames that attempt to exploit children by tempting them to acquire cosmetic items by using their parents' hard-earned money without the child realizing what he or she is actually doing. Fortnite is another premier example and typically it's the highly successful "AAA" games that are the most persuasive at preying on children so they can make even more of their trash.

The wider issue is that kids don't matter ultimately. If they did matter then companies wouldn't try to toil with them, they wouldn't turn into adults who have all that innocence stripped of them because society demands we are obedient workers who won't question how things work and that all we will ever be are slaves to capitalism. Sure to our own children we love them more than anything else in the world, but to everyone else they are unimportant and meaningless-unless of course they do something to garner attention-so then the media grabs their chance to modify them how they see fit.

All children represent is the purity of what life is until it's poisoned and diseased by monetary need and greed. This is what parents are bringing into the world now-not children but eventual vehicles for money-making. All that sweetness and purity means nothing ultimately-which is incredibly sad because childhood is the closest a lot of us will ever get to what life should truly be about.
Reply 1
Okay you're going to have to humour me, how exactly did you go from children being sweet little cuties to them being evil corrupted vermin because teyve played a videogame by some random company?
You'll forgive me for missing how the buying/playing of a game "corrupts" them..?
Reply 2
Business will do whatever it can for a quick buck. It just takes a while for legislation to catch up. In the 70s/80s it was artificial flavours, cigarette advertising and cigerette sweets, now banned. In the 90s lax safeguarding in schools was banned and shortly we will see loot boxes reclassified as gambling and effectively banned.

Its generally all good for kids on today's society compared to previous generations.
Original post by Napp
Okay you're going to have to humour me, how exactly did you go from children being sweet little cuties to them being evil corrupted vermin because teyve played a videogame by some random company?
You'll forgive me for missing how the buying/playing of a game "corrupts" them..?

I don't know if you read the post clearly because at no point did I say children are evil. It's not them playing the games it's the microtransaction practices in those games that will convince children to get their parents to pay for cosmetic items. At no point did I say "corrupt" either, I said "manipulated", which is entirely different. Corrupt is turning children into being "evil" as you spin it, and manipulation comes from the influence and persuasion of microtransactions in getting children to squeeze money out of their parents bank cards.
r/im14andthisisdeep
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending