Access to Higher Education diploma minimum age

Watch
TheJabster
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How strict are they with people being 19 to start an access to higher education diploma? I'll be wanting to start an access to HE diploma in September of next year when I finish the 2nd year of college in June of next year. The issue is that I will only be 19 in December of that year, 3 months after the start date. Would I have to wait another year for September of 2023 to start it?

The reason why I'm wanting to do an access to higher education diploma is because I've decided I want to do something else instead of joining the public services which is what I'm studying right now.
Last edited by TheJabster; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to talk to the course provider/college about this directly. It’s at their discretion and their regulations that count
GeoSocio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I did my access course at 18 after doing my A levels (I turned 19 the day after the course finished 😅).
However, it might be best to check with your college / provider.
Last edited by GeoSocio; 1 month ago
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

Like yourself I wanted to study an Access to HE course at 18. Whilst the university provider I wanted to study with (CU Scarborough) would have allowed me to start the course at 18, I would have been unable to get an advanced learner loan. This means I would have had to self fund and pay the qualification cost myself direct to the university before studying.

I took the decision to wait until I was 19 so I could get the loan but like other people have mentioned, check with where you’d like to study as they may have their own rules. And of course it depends on whether you are able and willing to pay for the course fees.

Hope this helps a little!

Mel - CU Scarborough Student Ambassador (Primary Education and Teaching Studies)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads