Is this a cavity?

Watch
volka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I noticed a black dot (around 0.5mm in size) on one of my molars when cleaning my teeth yesterday. It feels a little bit more sensitive than the surrounding enamel, and I’m pretty sure there is a dip in the enamel where the black bit is, and it doesn’t brush off. It definitely wasn’t there a couple of weeks ago when I last took a really close look at my teeth…
Is this a cavity? I will try and get an appointment with my dentist, but people I know have had a lot of bother getting appointments so it will likely be a while before I get seen. What can I do in the meantime to stop it getting worse?
volka
Rep:
?
To add, it's not in the middle of the tooth where all the groves are but on the raised part of the chewing surface, if that makes a difference.
sushieater37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From someone who has around 6 cavities filled and a root canal- I’m pretty sure that’s a cavity ! Emergency dentist appointment would be necessary before decay gets worse. Gargle Salt and water solution after meals to keep decay at bay until you see a dentist
Good luck!
Last edited by sushieater37; 1 month ago
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is a cavity, so get to the dentist. keep brushing so the cavity doesnt get any worse in the meantime until its sorted.
a_human_being?
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by volka)
So I noticed a black dot (around 0.5mm in size) on one of my molars when cleaning my teeth yesterday. It feels a little bit more sensitive than the surrounding enamel, and I’m pretty sure there is a dip in the enamel where the black bit is, and it doesn’t brush off. It definitely wasn’t there a couple of weeks ago when I last took a really close look at my teeth…
Is this a cavity? I will try and get an appointment with my dentist, but people I know have had a lot of bother getting appointments so it will likely be a while before I get seen. What can I do in the meantime to stop it getting worse?
Why does your font look so strange?
volka
Rep:
?
(Original post by sushieater37)
From someone who has around 6 cavities filled and a root canal- I’m pretty sure that’s a cavity ! Emergency dentist appointment would be necessary before decay gets worse. Gargle Salt and water solution after meals to keep decay at bay until you see a dentist
Good luck!
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
It is a cavity, so get to the dentist. keep brushing so the cavity doesnt get any worse in the meantime until its sorted.
Thanks for replying. Think it was actually just a bit of something stuck in a tiny groove after exploring with a torch and a needle But will try and get an appointment to get things checked just in case! Thanks again!

(Original post by Asha_m)
Why does your font look so strange?
It was copy and pasted from a note on my computer as TSR crashed when I originally tried to make the thread on here.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sushieater37)
Good luck!
An emergency dentist is hardly necessary for a cavity... a standard appointment would be just fine unless the op is in significant pain from it.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
An emergency dentist is hardly necessary for a cavity... a standard appointment would be just fine unless the op is in significant pain from it.
If it’s not kept clean enough or filled and food continues to get stuck the decay could worsen leading to nerve irritation and sensitivity eventually nerve death and pain which is definitely *not* okay so I’d consider that an emergency and go
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If it’s not kept clean enough or filled and food continues to get stuck the decay could worsen leading to nerve irritation and sensitivity eventually nerve death and pain which is definitely *not* okay so I’d consider that an emergency and go
You might but the dentist wouldnt.. its hardly going to be he apocalypse, as you make out, if you leave it till you book a normal appointment instead of wasting the emergency dentists time.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
For what it’s worth, Napp is right, a cavity is not what would constitute as necessary for an emergency dental appointment unless the patient is in pain. A routine appointment is best.
volka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
For what it’s worth, Napp is right, a cavity is not what would constitute as necessary for an emergency dental appointment unless the patient is in pain. A routine appointment is best.
OK, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads