Access to HE (humanities) student. Ask me anything

Watch
GeoSocio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve just completed my year of Access to HE humanities. Feel free to ask me about the course and I’ll try to answer to the best of my abilities. Or if you want to know other things then by all means ! My favourite colour is red and my favourite food is a cinnamon bun.

- GeoSocio
nutellaforlife
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what grade did you get?
GeoSocio
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutellaforlife)
what grade did you get?
The course is split up into assignments which total up to 60 credits which can be converted into ucas points.

I got 45 credits at distinction and then a further 15 credits from study skills, presentation software and exam technique ( these last ones aren’t graded you just need to show you can do them).
Last edited by GeoSocio; 1 month ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GeoSocio)
I’ve just completed my year of Access to HE humanities. Feel free to ask me about the course and I’ll try to answer to the best of my abilities. Or if you want to know other things then by all means ! My favourite colour is red and my favourite food is a cinnamon bun.

- GeoSocio
Why did you choose to do an Access course rather than A levels privately in arts/humanities subjects? Apart from the obvious financial advantage of doing an Access course, that is.
GeoSocio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Why did you choose to do an Access course rather than A levels privately in arts/humanities subjects? Apart from the obvious financial advantage of doing an Access course, that is.
Hello, great question!

I actually did A levels in 2018 - 2020. 😅 I took sociology, geography and did a music diploma. At the time I had no idea what I wanted to do after college and with everything that happened with lockdown I was scared about being out of the college system trying to re apply for university. ( I didn’t apply for university at the time as I wasn’t ready.)

I read about the course and spoke to the lecturers at my college and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. The course showed me how a university would teach their subjects, grade assignments, how to reference etc. Basically all the things I thought I couldn’t do I was showed I could do. It was a major confidence boost for me and I am happy to say I have now gotten into university.

I chose arts and humanities as I have always been interested in sociology and I never got a chance to study English at A level because I had to retake my maths gcse ( I passed ). The humanities course at my college offered me those subjects and more.
louisebirse
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I am starting Access to Social science and humanities in college I am just wondering what your college timetable was like? I know every college will be different but how many different classes did you have spread over how many days etc? Thanks
GeoSocio
Rep:
?
(Original post by louisebirse)
Hi, I am starting Access to Social science and humanities in college I am just wondering what your college timetable was like? I know every college will be different but how many different classes did you have spread over how many days etc? Thanks
Hiya, no worries!

To make it easier, my college timetable looked like this :

M: English , Social movements
T: English, Psychology
W: Sociology, tutoring
T: Sociology , Study skills.

My course was originally meant to be 3 days, but my teachers had other classes as well, so some of the lessons were spread out during the day. For example on Monday I had English at 9:15 and then a break until 2:45, however this was really useful as I could sit in the library and write my assignments .

I hope this helps some what 😅
- GeoSocio
GeoSocio
Rep:
?
Thank you ! And no problem at all, I’m glad to help!

First thing I’ve got to say is your lecturers are your friends. If you get stuck on a question or assignment don’t be afraid to ask them for guidance as it’s their job and I’m sure they would be more than happy to help you.

Second, on the course you should be taught how to effectively manage your time. Try not to leave assignments to last minute ( we’ve all done it ) as that way you can re-read and fix any mistakes earlier on. Lecturers often go over the assignment drafts so if you can get as much done as you can before showing it to them, then the more they can help you with. However, I will say taking a break is also very important so try prioritise some you time as well.

I personally found class discussion also really helps as you can talk over any ideas or worries you may have, for example when analysing a text you might have different interpretations that could be useful. A couple of us would go study together in the computer room and read over each others work, as sometimes when you read your own work so much you miss out the little grammar and niggles that they might spot.

Mainly though I would say try not to fret too much ( although it is natural) as although the course is made to be done in a year, it feels like a lot, but it is do-able! It might be nice to get something that keeps you motivated? For me it was wearing a different pin everyday that said something silly like ‘I got dressed today!’, and for my classmate it was her coffee she could get after 1st lesson.

I hope this helps!
Please feel free to ask any more questions

- GeoSocio
natiama
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GeoSocio)I’ve just completed my year of Access to HE humanities. Feel free to ask me about the course and I’ll try to answer to the best of my abilities. Or if you want to know other things then by all means! My favourite colour is red and my favourite food is a cinnamon bun.

- GeoSocio
hey, congratulations, I am also doing Access to Higher HE Humanities and I am on my unit 12 - Language, Communication and Communities, could you please help a bit with this unit. I am having trouble understanding what is required of me to do, so I can not even start writing it

Natia
Spoiler:
Show

GeoSocio
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, thank you!
I’m happy to help, please may you send the question/brief you need to answer for the unit so I can have a look? I think mine might have been a bit different, but I will try to help as much as I can.

- GeoSocio
natiama
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello, thank you!
I’m happy to help, please may you send the question/brief you need to answer for the unit so I can have a look? I think mine might have been a bit different, but I will try to help as much as I can.

- GeoSocio
Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 18.24.28.png
Views: 11
Size:  125.8 KB
GeoSocio
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by natiama)
Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 18.24.28.png
Views: 11
Size:  125.8 KB
Thank you, this is different to my unit but that’s okay. Have you been going over a few texts and studies in class which you can use in your assignment ? If so this is a great time to start pulling everything together regarding context and key quotations.

I will of course try help you as best as I can, but have you tried talking to your teachers for a bit of help? I’m sure they would be more than happy to go over things if you need it. I just want to make sure you get the best out of this assignment

- GeoSocio
Last edited by GeoSocio; 3 weeks ago
natiama
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, this is different to my unit but that’s okay. Have you been going over a few texts and studies in class which you can use in your assignment ? If so this is a great time to start pulling everything together regarding context and key quotations.
oh, I forgot to mention, I am doing this course online :|, that's the reason why I don't have that much support from my assessors.
natiama
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did try, but I already mentioned to the support team that my messaging system doesn't work, therefore I always have difficulties communicating with my assessors, the only way was through emails, but unfortunately, they said if I use messaging system would be preferable, but it doesn't work (I already tried million times to send messages through that system, i waited 48-72 , but never had any response)

I will of course try help you as best as I can, but have you tried talking to your teachers for a bit of help? I’m sure they would be more than happy to go over things if you need it. I just want to make sure you get the best out of this assignment

- GeoSocio
Orko82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there, I am a mature student looking to go to uni and have been eyeing up a Humanities Access Course. Could I just ask how much work is involved? At the moment I am looking an English based one via distance learning (as I'd like to go and do creative writing, english and media etc) but am unsure of the magntitude of work involved, and whether it's something I can do in my evenings after work and on weekends. Or whether it's something that needs far more of a commitment.

Thank you for your time.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello, great question!

I actually did A levels in 2018 - 2020. 😅 I took sociology, geography and did a music diploma. At the time I had no idea what I wanted to do after college and with everything that happened with lockdown I was scared about being out of the college system trying to re apply for university. ( I didn’t apply for university at the time as I wasn’t ready.)

I read about the course and spoke to the lecturers at my college and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. The course showed me how a university would teach their subjects, grade assignments, how to reference etc. Basically all the things I thought I couldn’t do I was showed I could do. It was a major confidence boost for me and I am happy to say I have now gotten into university.

I chose arts and humanities as I have always been interested in sociology and I never got a chance to study English at A level because I had to retake my maths gcse ( I passed ). The humanities course at my college offered me those subjects and more.
That's a great story with a good outcome. Very happy for you
natiama
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Orko82)
Hi there, I am a mature student looking to go to uni and have been eyeing up a Humanities Access Course. Could I just ask how much work is involved? At the moment I am looking an English based one via distance learning (as I'd like to go and do creative writing, english and media etc) but am unsure of the magntitude of work involved, and whether it's something I can do in my evenings after work and on weekends. Or whether it's something that needs far more of a commitment.

Thank you for your time.
hey, I also started access to he, because next year I am applying for uni as well, the only problem with this course for me is that, when I have questions, or I need someone to guide me through the topics, I have to help myself and I have to do a lot of research to understand some things, there is the messaging system in the course where you can message your tutor, but mine doesn't work and i have already asked the school to try and resolve this, as the grades we take they will count for the application , also i don't know when you uni is going to start, but i am going to start September of 2022 and I started this course in February, just to say that sometimes tutors respond can take some time, of course depends on who is your tutor in a specific unit, in general, there is pros and cons for distance online learning and one of the biggest con is that whenever i need help i dont have it(plus i have never studied in uk before and every countrys studing system is different), so yeah u might have all this thing in conisderation before signing in the course. good luck though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads