Place where you can sign up to trial different types of jobs/professions

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, just wanted to share an idea I had today.Imagine a place where you can sign up for immersive courses in different professions. It could be like a 1/2 sort of mini internship. i.e. say you are interested in Advertising you can sign up to get a taster in for example taught by someone who works in the industry. You could get a look into the day to day. Do some practical tasks etc. Basically you get an in-depth intense taste to see if you think its something you would enjoy/match your skills.Thought behind this- A lot of people don't know what they want to go into especially out of college. A lot also end up doing conventional jobs and jobs that they don't really want to do and get comfortable and forget their talents or never find it. Society deliberately doesn't want us to know how many options there really are out there. Now you could do an internship, however, from experience a lot of what you do in internships is wasted time, I knew pretty quickly whether I would like/dislike or hard to get into without contacts. With this everyone could have the chance explore a lot of options in a relatively short period of time.Any thoughts?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I for one would love this and am annoyed it doesn’t exist
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, just wanted to share an idea I had today.Imagine a place where you can sign up for immersive courses in different professions. It could be like a 1/2 sort of mini internship. i.e. say you are interested in Advertising you can sign up to get a taster in for example taught by someone who works in the industry. You could get a look into the day to day. Do some practical tasks etc. Basically you get an in-depth intense taste to see if you think its something you would enjoy/match your skills.Thought behind this- A lot of people don't know what they want to go into especially out of college. A lot also end up doing conventional jobs and jobs that they don't really want to do and get comfortable and forget their talents or never find it. Society deliberately doesn't want us to know how many options there really are out there. Now you could do an internship, however, from experience a lot of what you do in internships is wasted time, I knew pretty quickly whether I would like/dislike or hard to get into without contacts. With this everyone could have the chance explore a lot of options in a relatively short period of time.Any thoughts?
How are you paying for this? How are you compensating the company for the waste of their staff, office and consumables for providing this service? How are you paying for all the adjustments for the disabled, for all the travel for those that can't afford to travel to access? How many opportunities are people allowed to have?

It's already available - it's called saying yes to every opportunity that comes your way to making your own opportunities, researching, learning, using the library, using your school and uni careers service, talking to people who have jobs about their jobs, and not least, arranging your own work experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
15.08%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (47)
37.3%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
26.19%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.38%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (9)
7.14%

Watched Threads