How does the Civil Service allocate temporary and permanent contracts?

Watch
stenaline
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been successful at interview and was offered a role. I am a graduate whom has been searching for a job for 18+ months, since graduation. This has been an exhausting process, I have had many interviews so I am happy to have been offered a job, finally. I have worked mostly temporary jobs over that time, I do not want to work temporary positions at this stage.

I am over the moon to have been offered this job, I am thankful for the opportunity, I will be taking the job. However, what has concerned me is this idea of a 12-18 month contract.

I do not want to settle into a position and then have to start the recruitment process all over again in 12-18 months.

How are these contracts allocated?

What can I do to ensure that I am given a permanent contract or to at least increase the chances of being offered a permanent contract?
Last edited by stenaline; 1 month ago
Anonymous1152
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
depends on the needs of the business

The point is, you now have your foot in the door

The civil service is huge… use this opportunity to impress and build a network and move on to permanent positions if that is what you prefer

You should be told if your contract will be coming to an end perhaps a couple of months before it is due to end
Last edited by Anonymous1152; 1 month ago
stenaline
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous1152)
depends on the needs of the business

The point is, you now have your foot in the door

The civil service is huge… use this opportunity to impress and build a network and move on to permanent positions if that is what you prefer

You should be told if your contract will be coming to an end perhaps a couple of months before it is due to end
So, they won't tell me when I am given the formal job offer? At this point I am concerned that I would be back out on the streets looking for a job in a years time. As I have had such a challenge with getting a position, I do not want to have to go through this again.
JellyLLJelly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I joined the CS as FTA staff which was supposed to last for 12 months but then was told it was being made permanent after 9 months into it. There's no guarantee but once you are in you can build up your experience pretty quick so even if you need to go through it again it will be loads easier second time. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (15)
14.71%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.84%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.88%
I need help with my personal statement (41)
40.2%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
24.51%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.96%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (5)
4.9%

Watched Threads