The Student Room Group

Do I have autistic tendencies?

I’m a 19 year old female and think I may have autistic tendencies. Since a young age I’ve always had a problem with certain textures and a sensitivity to them. I never liked wearing jeans when I was younger, and would always wear baggy trousers or leggings as I didn’t like the feel of the material. Any label in a top or pair of trousers had to be cut out because even if it’s the smallest label or soft, I can still feel it. I’m hypersensitive and can feel things really easily, like if I have a hair down my back or up my sleeve. My mum had to buy me special socks as well when I was younger that didn’t have the seams in them because I hate the feeling, I now have to wear my socks inside out but it takes me quite a few attempts with putting my shoes on before I’m happy that my socks aren’t irritating me. Things such as wearing toe posts in sandals as well, I hate the feeling of them and so cannot wear these type of footwear. I’m also really fussy with my food, and have always had to have my food separate. I’m not as bad now but until around 5 years ago I had a plate which sectioned my food as I hate it touching, and if food does touch or “contaminate” as I would say, I wouldn’t eat it. I just wondered whether these could possibly be autistic tendencies or not.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a 19 year old female and think I may have autistic tendencies. Since a young age I’ve always had a problem with certain textures and a sensitivity to them. I never liked wearing jeans when I was younger, and would always wear baggy trousers or leggings as I didn’t like the feel of the material. Any label in a top or pair of trousers had to be cut out because even if it’s the smallest label or soft, I can still feel it. I’m hypersensitive and can feel things really easily, like if I have a hair down my back or up my sleeve. My mum had to buy me special socks as well when I was younger that didn’t have the seams in them because I hate the feeling, I now have to wear my socks inside out but it takes me quite a few attempts with putting my shoes on before I’m happy that my socks aren’t irritating me. Things such as wearing toe posts in sandals as well, I hate the feeling of them and so cannot wear these type of footwear. I’m also really fussy with my food, and have always had to have my food separate. I’m not as bad now but until around 5 years ago I had a plate which sectioned my food as I hate it touching, and if food does touch or “contaminate” as I would say, I wouldn’t eat it. I just wondered whether these could possibly be autistic tendencies or not.

Possibly, but the things you describe aren't necessarily diagnostic or specific to ASD. You might just be a bit 'funny' with that sort of thing. You've not really mentioned anything about social interactions or how you feel you interact with other people - this would be more useful.

No-one can 'diagnose' you over the internet, and it is not ethical to try to. Have you ever spoken to someone in person about this, like a GP or trusted health professional?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Possibly, but the things you describe aren't necessarily diagnostic or specific to ASD. You might just be a bit 'funny' with that sort of thing. You've not really mentioned anything about social interactions or how you feel you interact with other people - this would be more useful.

No-one can 'diagnose' you over the internet, and it is not ethical to try to. Have you ever spoken to someone in person about this, like a GP or trusted health professional?

I wasn’t really looking for a diagnosis, more of some advice and if anyone experiences similar things to me. I’ve always had friends, I don’t really find it hard to make friends but the people I make friends with always seem to have a nasty side to them. I’ve had two previous best friends who I’ve lost touch with as they’ve turned against me and been nasty to me. I’ve always been too nice and been walked over, but I’ve never had trouble interacting. I get the odd anxiety like anyone would when communicating but it’s never been an issue. I get that this is a main part of autism but I don’t think it’s just that people with this can’t interact. I’ve done some research into it and I’ve seen that some of my things are autistic tendencies, but not necessarily autism in itself.

Quick Reply

Latest