scared+confused
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am looking at a room renting with another family. The landlady is part of this family and has said that she does not usually do formal contracts and usually just lets the student live with her as long as they want. What should I do? I am of the mind that I need some kind of contract to protect myself, but what should it include?
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by scared+confused)
I am looking at a room renting with another family. The landlady is part of this family and has said that she does not usually do formal contracts and usually just lets the student live with her as long as they want. What should I do? I am of the mind that I need some kind of contract to protect myself, but what should it include?
Hey!

How did you find the rental opportunity? It may be worth speaking with your universities accommodation office/SU accommodation support to see if they can offer you some advice on the best way to proceed with this. You're definitely right to be cautious - having some kind of contract protects both yourself and her in case anything went wrong, it's not just for stating how long you'll live there

Good luck with it!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know any of her other lodgers or have contact info for other students that used to rent a room at the property?

It sounds like you will be a lodger and the property owner is not keen to issue and sign lodging agreements.
Lodging agreement are very different from tenancy agreements; lodgers have fewer legal rights and shorter notice terms to leave the property after the agreement is terminated.
That is why the price of the accomodation often includes all bills plus meals or laundry and is usually much lower than that of a tenancy agreement for a houseshare.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (362)
84.19%
No (68)
15.81%

Watched Threads