Doing Triple science GCSE without having it in your GCSE options

Watch
Hazelneel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I am a year 10 student and i am studing for my GCSEs. When i was choosing my GCSE options i wasn't allowed to pick triple science but now I am interested in triple science because i want to do 3 science A-levels which means i need to have triple sience for that to happen. And also because my dad is good at science, he can help me with triple science and i am sure i can do it.So i wanted to ask if it is possible for me to sit triple science GCSE if i have combined science GCSE course and not triple science?I'll really appreciate any reply, thanks.
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hazelneel)
Hi! I am a year 10 student and i am studing for my GCSEs. When i was choosing my GCSE options i wasn't allowed to pick triple science but now I am interested in triple science because i want to do 3 science A-levels which means i need to have triple sience for that to happen. And also because my dad is good at science, he can help me with triple science and i am sure i can do it.So i wanted to ask if it is possible for me to sit triple science GCSE if i have combined science GCSE course and not triple science?I'll really appreciate any reply, thanks.
Unfortunately not. You need to be doing the triple science course to do the triple science papers. You have to do triple science to do A-Level sciences though? Is that what you're school told you by any chance?
Hazelneel
Rep:
?
(Original post by yippy-yikes)
Unfortunately not. You need to be doing the triple science course to do the triple science papers. You have to do triple science to do A-Level sciences though? Is that what you're school told you by any chance?
No, my family told me that i need to have 3 science GCSEs to be able to do 3 science A-levels.
Thanks
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, my family told me that i need to have 3 science GCSEs to be able to do 3 science A-levels.
Thanks
Well, best thing to do is to ask your school. I don't know how it works there but people in my school were able to do Science A-Levels if they got a good grade from GCSE Combined Sciences.

Hope it all works out for you though, and no problemo!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks
You can do three science A levels with 2 Science GCSEs ...
sarahjanesmith
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
u can sit them at an external exam centre
Hazelneel
Rep:
?
As a private candidate?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sure there's no reason why you can't sit them as a private candidate, but you'd be looking at IGCSEs rather than GCSEs if you go down that route, as many private exam centres don't accommodate the GCSE practicals.

I can't really see why you'd need to take the triple if you get decent grades in your combined though. I can't see it hindering your A level application for studing sciences.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 month ago
goneclear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
You can do three science A levels with 2 Science GCSEs ...
Facts
goneclear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can still do 3 a level sciences, you just need a 7-7, maybe 6-6/7-6 depending on the college, u shouldn’t be doing 3 a level sciences if your not getting 7-7 at least tho
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by goneclear)
Facts
Yes - this is a fact - look at entry criteria for sixth form study - even at my selective school we allow it.
Hazelneel
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
I'm sure there's no reason why you can't sit them as a private candidate, but you'd be looking at IGCSEs rather than GCSEs if you go down that route, as many private exam centres don't accommodate the GCSE practicals.

I can't really see why you'd need to take the triple if you get decent grades in your combined though. I can't see it hindering your A level application for studing sciences.
But would it be possible to take combined science in my own school and triple science IGCSE at an external exam centre in the same year?

Yeah but i think studing triple science will make A-level science slightly easier for me
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But would it be possible to take combined science in my own school and triple science IGCSE at an external exam centre in the same year?

Yeah but i think studing triple science will make A-level science slightly veasier for me
As Muttley79 has said you dont need triple science at GCSE to take 3 science A level. Many schools dont offer triple science so schools and colleges dont penalise who dont take it. Have a word with the school or college you intend studying at.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Yeah but i think studing triple science will make A-level science slightly easier for me
No, exams might clash - talk to your school.

You can always ask for summer holiday work on the additional content. We have external students joining our sixth form with double and there is no issue.
Hazelneel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
No, exams might clash - talk to your school.

You can always ask for summer holiday work on the additional content. We have external students joining our sixth form with double and there is no issue.
I will. Thank you for your advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (18)
16.67%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.41%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
38.89%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
23.15%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.85%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.48%

Watched Threads