Are these grades ok for a Russell Group Uni?

Watch
EH34
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are these grades bad because I keep putting myself down? I wanted to get higher grade in Maths and Science but we weren't taught the right syllabus as I never had a consistent teacher, which really frustrates me.

English Language - Grade 9
English Literature - Grade 7
Drama - Grade 6
Food Studies - Grade 6
Geography - Grade 6
Mathematics - Grade 5
Science Combined - 5-5
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Russel group is a very broad range of unis. Also, it's a research consortium (well, actually a political lobbying group) and membership does not indicate anything about undergrad teaching (except that it might actually be worse than average as their focus and money is being spent on research, not undergrad experience and teaching).

There are certainly RG unis you could get into, and many (most other than LSE and Oxford for most courses in fact) won't care about GCSEs other than your English/maths grades.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The direct answer is yes, you will probably be able to get into some university in Russell Group.

Bear in mind that RG membership does not tell you much about how good a university is. There are many good universities that are not members. (and are better than some members) Mainly it's marketing fluff.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given that you have managed to spell "Russell" correctly, this puts you in the top 5% of the TSR population and guarantees you a place at one of the group's universities.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It will depend which university & course your interested in.

Realistically the maths grade may limit your subject options, and competitive courses & universities which filter with GCSE (past a minimum benchmark) you will probably not make a competitive entry. Although im assuming you had realised medicine/top economics programs etc. Was not on the table.

And of course a political lobbying group is not a great reason to apply to a university.
Ak4753
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If Russel group is all you're aiming for they are more than enough. The top RGs that heavily weigh GCSEs (Oxbridge/LSE) would potentially be difficult to crack.

I'd advise you to retake maths to get at least B (6) at some point though. Some graduate schemes (grad jobs) when you're older will ask for a B at GCSE (eg. KPMG). Do that and you'll thank me later.
Last edited by Ak4753; 1 month ago
Ak4753
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Given that you have managed to spell "Russell" correctly, this puts you in the top 5% of the TSR population and guarantees you a place at one of the group's universities.
Just realised I spelt it incorrectly lol
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes - a few universities and a few courses may be tougher but in general your GCSE results will not be a disadvantage. Some good advice above - depending on possible careers you should consider resitting maths as it much easier to do it now than later.
EH34
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Yes - a few universities and a few courses may be tougher but in general your GCSE results will not be a disadvantage. Some good advice above - depending on possible careers you should consider resitting maths as it much easier to do it now than later.
Yes that's fine, but I'm going into my 2nd year so is it ok if I resit maths? I was already doing higher tier at high school before our maths teachers moved us down to foundation tier because he 'struggled' to teach us, as he said
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EH34)
Yes that's fine, but I'm going into my 2nd year so is it ok if I resit maths? I was already doing higher tier at high school before our maths teachers moved us down to foundation tier because he 'struggled' to teach us, as he said
If going into second year - I think you need to consider whether it might clash with your A level work and whether the courses you might apply for would either require a higher grade or whether some extra study of maths would be beneficial when you've started the course. What are you applying for?
EH34
Rep:
?
If going into second year - I think you need to consider whether it might clash with your A level work and whether the courses you might apply for would either require a higher grade or whether some extra study of maths would be beneficial when you've started the course. What are you applying for?
Either English and Creative Writing (becoming a tv/film writer) or becoming a teacher in english at gcse
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EH34)
Either English and Creative Writing (becoming a tv/film writer) or becoming a teacher in english at gcse
Cool - you may want to keep an eye on the requirements for teaching as they change. I remember when there was an admission test for maths which proved very tough for a lot of people.
EH34
Rep:
?
Cool - you may want to keep an eye on the requirements for teaching as they change. I remember when there was an admission test for maths which proved very tough for a lot of people.
Could I resit it when I am older, perhaps? At an adult college maybe?
Last edited by EH34; 1 month ago
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EH34)
yes - or while at university. You can self study - the challenge tends to be finding an exam centre which is a benefit of doing it while at school.
Ak4753
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EH34)
I'd advise you to resit as soon as you have reached a stage where your a level revision will not be affected by your retakes. As said above, this is likely to be at uni. Maybe try and review the content over various holidays before uni to improve.

In regards to A levels, good luck. Wish you the best.
EH34
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ak4753)
I'd advise you to resit as soon as you have reached a stage where your a level revision will not be affected by your retakes. As said above, this is likely to be at uni. Maybe try and review the content over various holidays before uni to improve.

In regards to A levels, good luck. Wish you the best.
Thanks for this. Much appreciated. BTW, I'm not too sure if exams will be going ahead completely normal next year. I believe they maybe changed a bit.
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as your GCSEs meet any requirements on their website then yes.
tierny3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
whats level 5 -

as long as you have maths and english lan at B or above, you can do anything you want in the world

off the top of my head, oxford may want a few A*s but other than that youll be fine
Ak4753
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EH34)
Thanks for this. Much appreciated. BTW, I'm not too sure if exams will be going ahead completely normal next year. I believe they maybe changed a bit.
Neither do I tbh. Try and sit whenever/however you can tho.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EH34)
Your grades are absolutely fine for the vast majority of Russell Group unis and you don't need to resit your maths for those careers. Better to concentrate on your A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed