Non-law degree to becoming a solicitor under the SQE route

Watch
yhuss98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I now know with the new way to qualify as a solicitor a law degree nor GDL are Not compulsory to take
In theory, a person with a Chemistry degree who passed the SQE 1&2 would qualify as a solicitor eventhough they had no GDL
Therefore I would like to study a non-law degree
However, though the GDL isn’t compulsory, I’m unsure how someone would learn the content of law needed for the exams
I’ve seen that a person would need to do a PGDL and then pass the LLM SQE1&2 (on the UoLaw website this would cost nearly £32,000)
Could someone please enlighten me through this new route and the cheapest possible route? I would be grateful for any input - thanks!
I am planning to study a degree completely unlinked with Law to open up my options in case a legal career doesn’t work out
Thanks for any help
Last edited by yhuss98; 1 month ago
Titch1781
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yhuss98)
So I now know with the new way to qualify as a solicitor a law degree nor GDL are Not compulsory to take
In theory, a person with a Chemistry degree who passed the SQE 1&2 would qualify as a solicitor eventhough they had no GDL
Therefore I would like to study a non-law degree
However, though the GDL isn’t compulsory, I’m unsure how someone would learn the content of law needed for the exams
I’ve seen that a person would need to do a PGDL and then pass the LLM SQE1&2 (on the UoLaw website this would cost nearly £32,000)
Could someone please enlighten me through this new route and the cheapest possible route? I would be grateful for any input - thanks!
I am planning to study a degree completely unlinked with Law to open up my options in case a legal career doesn’t work out
Thanks for any help
Hi i was thinking of studying a non-law degree and doing a GDL afterwards. (I've chosen now just to do a law degree).
There is an SQE preparation course offered by the university of law. This course prepares you for the SQE as the name suggests. Here is the link to read about it - https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgrad...ntials/online/
It would maybe be worth emailing the University of law asking the question about funding. Also the Lawyer portal website is a great help for aspiring lawyers.
yhuss98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Titch1781)
Hi i was thinking of studying a non-law degree and doing a GDL afterwards. (I've chosen now just to do a law degree).
There is an SQE preparation course offered by the university of law. This course prepares you for the SQE as the name suggests. Here is the link to read about it - https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgrad...ntials/online/
It would maybe be worth emailing the University of law asking the question about funding. Also the Lawyer portal website is a great help for aspiring lawyers.
Thank you but that SQE preparation only prepares you for the SQE 1 assessment 1 and not the second assessment for the Sqe 1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads