Living in Edinburgh vs. Southampton

Watch
runaway_parfait
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What a comparison eh?

Anyway I'm going back for a postgrad degree next year and I'm looking at Edinburgh and Southampton. I'm collecting people's experiences living in either place to help me decide.

I'm 36/f so a lot of the studenty stuff isn't a big draw for me. I like video games, board/tabletop games, walking/hiking, local music, going to the coast. I lived in Glasgow for several years but am from the US.

Getting around on public transport is a big plus for me as I'd prefer not to have a car. Cost of living is also a consideration but not the deciding factor. Thanks for any thoughts! 💜
Mayhee54
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied for the same course (MSc in Occupational Therapy) in both cities, but found that the tuition for an international student at the University of Southampton was incredibly high. It was £10000 more per year than any other uni I considered. I’m not sure if that is the case for all courses, but it definitely affected my decision.
runaway_parfait
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mayhee54)
I applied for the same course (MSc in Occupational Therapy) in both cities, but found that the tuition for an international student at the University of Southampton was incredibly high. It was £10000 more per year than any other uni I considered. I’m not sure if that is the case for all courses, but it definitely affected my decision.
Yikes! It is around 10 grand more in Southampton for my course as well, so it is a consideration for sure. But while I've spent time in Edinburgh, I've never been to Southampton, so I am curious.

Where did you end up studying?
volka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Edinburgh has great public transport and easy access to walking and hiking routes.
Mayhee54
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I ended up choosing Oxford Brookes because their faculty are doing research I’m interested in and there is just so much more diversity within the faculty and course and city. I start in September (assuming visa stuff happens in time!) so I’ll have a better idea soon about whether I found the right place for me.
runaway_parfait
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mayhee54)
I ended up choosing Oxford Brookes because their faculty are doing research I’m interested in and there is just so much more diversity within the faculty and course and city. I start in September (assuming visa stuff happens in time!) so I’ll have a better idea soon about whether I found the right place for me.
Oh, very cool! Congrats! I hope you have an awesome time. 🥳
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads