Realistically how much money is needed after rent to live on at uni?

Watch
HippyChick04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
After accommodation has been paid wondering realistically how much money will I need a wk/month to live on?
Applying to Surrey, Liverpool, both Manchesters and 2 in London.
Hoping to get full maintenance loan but wondering if that will be enough to live on once I've paid my rent.
Also after rent what other bills/outgoings should I expect for a student studying acting?
HEEEEELLLLLP.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Weekly groceries i would say budget 20-30, then some money on top of that for entertainment and bills, so maybe around 40-60 a week total depending how thrifty you are with the food and going out.

Will you be staying in student accom / private halls? If so then you normally don't need to worry about bills. as they're often included.
Kentinho99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HippyChick04)
After accommodation has been paid wondering realistically how much money will I need a wk/month to live on?
Hoping to get full maintenance loan but wondering if that will be enough to live on once I've paid my rent.
Also after rent what other bills/outgoings should I expect for a student studying acting?
HEEEEELLLLLP.
It depends on where you study. Surrey and London you will need more money as rent is high there and the cost of living is greater of that than Liverpool or Manchester then it depends on what you buy. I'm budgeting so I'm hoping to spend £30 a month on groceries to last the month. It also depends on your excursions. Like going out into the town for leisure or just fun. Again cheaper in the north. Then depends on how much you spend on clothes and things. I'd say looking at £59-£60
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I imagine a uge difference between Liverpool/Manchester & Surrey/London.

I think roughly £100/pw now this seems high but often people forget to account for the expenses they dont see every day like transport to and from home or to mates elsewhere/holidays/gym membership/clubs & societies/ hygiene & cleaning costs/new clothing/other stuff that pops up.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
HEEEEELLLLLP.
Hi HippyChick04,

I've always budgeted for £10 a day and any left overs I'd save for fun stuff Most of the time I'd spend about £20-30 on a weekly shop and about £10ish on washing when I was in halls so sometimes I'd have around £30-40 left over for stuff like nights out or saving up.

Lucy
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
HEEEEELLLLLP.
Hey there

It's great to hear you're applying to Surrey!

At Surrey, I lived on about £30-£40 a week. This was enough for my food and also for me to be going out for dinner or social places with friends.
If your living in accommodation first year, your bills are normally included, so you will only have to think about bills when it comes to getting accommodation outside of the university for your last few years of your degree!

I hope this helps!

Becca (Psychology Student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (14)
14%
I need help researching courses (8)
8%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
40%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (5)
5%

Watched Threads