Dan859
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I was just wondering if I could do an undergrad in a degree such as biomedical science and then do a postgrad in medicine, or would the undergrad have to be medicine? Thank you.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is the final 4 years of an undergrad Med degree.
Its insanely competitive and as you would already have a degree, you wont get full SF funding.
Don't do it.

If you dont get a place on a 5 year course, then take a gap year, get as much related experience as you can, and reapply for the 5 year degree.
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dan859)
Hi I was just wondering if I could do an undergrad in a degree such as biomedical science and then do a postgrad in medicine, or would the undergrad have to be medicine? Thank you.
As said above, avoid GEM. It is more competitive, costs more and takes much longer. If you do not get into medicine first try then just take a gap year and apply again reflecting on what you can improve since last time, whether that is interview, better UCAT/BMAT or something else. GEM is not designed for those who wanted to do medicine but could not get the grades and so they did a separate degree first, it's for people who wanted to do another degree and later realised they want to do medicine.

As a grad you can apply for the undergrad medicine which is slight easier to get into than GEM but doing undergrad medicine is the easiest, cheapest and quickest way of doing medicine.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can't do a postgraduate medical degree (i.e. a clinical MD or PhD) without having done undergraduate medicine (MB ChB, MB BS etc first).

You can do graduate entry medicine (still MB ChB/MB BS) after a biomed degree, of course, but this is not postgraduate medicine.

(Original post by McGinger)
Its insanely competitive and as you would already have a degree, you wont get full SF funding.
Don't do it.

If you dont get a place on a 5 year course, then take a gap year, get as much related experience as you can, and reapply for the 5 year degree.
GEM is not the final four years of an undergrad medical degree; it is the full medical degree but with shorter holidays and longer terms. GEM students don't just get to skip a year of study.

In England, aside from the first year of GEM where a £3465 tuition fee payment is made directly by the student, GEM students do qualify for tuition fee and maintenance loans, as well as the NHS bursary and grant. Is it an admin headache involving having to apply to multiple agencies? Yes. Will you still get the funding? Also yes.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Don't do it.

Again, this is more wrong information.

GEM is a different course from the standard course - it is condensed and has practically no 'holidays'. It is not just a standard course with a year lopped off it. It's not helpful to the OP to just say 'don't do it' - GEM might be exactly the right choice for this candidate. Yes it's competitive, but that, in itself, is not a reason for a blanket 'don't apply'.

Your information about the funding is also wrong, but Democracy has corrected that already.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As has been covered, you're getting a bit confused with your degrees here As Democracy says, if you want to do medicine at some point, then the easiest and cheapest option is to it as a first undergraduate degree. If you're not sure, and think you might want to do something else first, then you can take graduate entry medicine (note, this is a second undergraduate course, not a postgraduate course) after your first degree in biomedical science - but note that this is a much more competitive option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
13.98%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.53%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.45%
I need help with my personal statement (38)
40.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
24.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.15%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.3%

Watched Threads