Has anyone painted furniture before?

Watch
Redfrost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I live I new build so the colour scheme of my house is mainly white and grey.

I have some pine furniture which I want to keep as it’s good quality but it looks very old fashioned and a bit out of place in my small bedrooms.

I was thinking of painting it white (maybe leaving the top alone) and distressing it to get a shabby chic style.

Ive never done it before though and don’t want to mess up. I think it’s a shame to ruin the wood as it was quite expensive.

What do you think should I go for it?

Here’s a picture of it
Attached files
Last edited by Redfrost; 1 month ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Redfrost)

I have some pine furniture which I want to keep as it’s good quality but it looks very old fashioned and a bit out of place in my small bedrooms.

I was thinking of painting it white (maybe leaving the top alone) and distressing it to get a shabby chic style.

Ive never done it before though and don’t want to mess up. I think it’s a shame to ruin the wood as it was quite expensive.

Here’s a picture of it
Yes, why not?!

Some practical notes on technique:

If it's relatively modern, the 'varnish' used a a finish could be problematic as it can be difficult to get paint to adhere to it properly. I recommend you use some medium grit sandpaper (about 120 grit) to thoroughly sand the surface and give the paint a 'key'. Make sure you wipe the sanded surface down before painting, preferably with white spirit so as not to raise the grain of the wood. Alternatively, you can use a tacky rag.

Once you've sanded it, wiped it and allowed the surface to dry, you need to use a 'resist' technique to give an authentic finish. Essentially, you apply wax to areas of the furniture where you don't want the block colour paint (which you will subsequently use) to adhere - you choose the areas which would have naturally seen wear, like the edges and corners, raised parts and knobs/handles. Use a wax like an old candle or something and rub it on these areas. Next, apply a water-based primer to the whole piece, followed by three or four coats of a water-based emulsion. Note - it must be a water-based paint. Allow 3-4 hours drying time between each coat, and 18-hours after the final emulsion coat. Finally, take some finer sandpaper than you first used (about 180 grit) and gently sand the areas where you applied the wax. The paint, obviously, will not have stuck to these areas, and sanding it will easily remove it to reveal the wood underneath to give a distressed finish.

This a technique I've used with various old bits of furniture over the years. The other method, which is to sand the piece to give a key, followed by a primer, four or more coats of emulsion and then a hell of a lot of sanding in the areas you want to get back down to the wood is a much more arduous process (because you've got much more paint to remove), and often looks artificial because it's difficult to make it not look like 'paint that's been sanded off'.

My final tip is to be judicious when applying the initial wax resist, and really think about the areas you want to show through as bare wood - as I say, it needs to be the areas which would have seen wear in regular use. Don't be tempted to apply too much wax and show too much bare wood through, because this again gives an inauthentic look.

Good luck with the project. If you do it, please do come back and post up a picture of it. I'd love to see how you get on
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Here’s a picture of it
Which part of the UK do you live in?
Redfrost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Yes, why not?!

Some practical notes on technique:

If it's relatively modern, the 'varnish' used a a finish could be problematic as it can be difficult to get paint to adhere to it properly. I recommend you use some medium grit sandpaper (about 120 grit) to thoroughly sand the surface and give the paint a 'key'. Make sure you wipe the sanded surface down before painting, preferably with white spirit so as not to raise the grain of the wood. Alternatively, you can use a tacky rag.

Once you've sanded it, wiped it and allowed the surface to dry, you need to use a 'resist' technique to give an authentic finish. Essentially, you apply wax to areas of the furniture where you don't want the block colour paint (which you will subsequently use) to adhere - you choose the areas which would have naturally seen wear, like the edges and corners, raised parts and knobs/handles. Use a wax like an old candle or something and rub it on these areas. Next, apply a water-based primer to the whole piece, followed by three or four coats of a water-based emulsion. Note - it must be a water-based paint. Allow 3-4 hours drying time between each coat, and 18-hours after the final emulsion coat. Finally, take some finer sandpaper than you first used (about 180 grit) and gently sand the areas where you applied the wax. The paint, obviously, will not have stuck to these areas, and sanding it will easily remove it to reveal the wood underneath to give a distressed finish.

This a technique I've used with various old bits of furniture over the years. The other method, which is to sand the piece to give a key, followed by a primer, four or more coats of emulsion and then a hell of a lot of sanding in the areas you want to get back down to the wood is a much more arduous process (because you've got much more paint to remove), and often looks artificial because it's difficult to make it not look like 'paint that's been sanded off'.

My final tip is to be judicious when applying the initial wax resist, and really think about the areas you want to show through as bare wood - as I say, it needs to be the areas which would have seen wear in regular use. Don't be tempted to apply too much wax and show too much bare wood through, because this again gives an inauthentic look.

Good luck with the project. If you do it, please do come back and post up a picture of it. I'd love to see how you get on
Thanks, that’s helped!

I think because the furniture is in great condition already I was hesitant to do this as I thought it’s a shame to ruin it lol but I’l give it a go
Redfrost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Which part of the UK do you live in?
Manchester at the moment
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Manchester at the moment
Where did you get that furniture from?
Redfrost
Rep:
?
Where did you get that furniture from?
Bought it 3 years ago from local furniture store the chest of draws costed about £150-£200 it’s solid wood
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bought it 3 years ago from local furniture store the chest of draws costed about £150-£200 it’s solid wood
It looks very nice and good quality build, why do you wanna ruin it?
Redfrost
Rep:
?
It looks very nice and good quality build, why do you wanna ruin it?
In my home (a new build with small rooms and a white/grey colour scheme) it looks very old fashioned and a bit out of place.

Everything apart from the grey carpet is white in my house - the walls, doors, bannisters etc and the pine draws and bedside cabinet pieces dont quite look right
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In my home (a new build with small rooms and a white/grey colour scheme) it looks very old fashioned and a bit out of place.

Everything apart from the grey carpet is white in my house - the walls, doors, bannisters etc and the pine draws and bedside cabinet pieces dont quite look right
It may look old fashioned, but isn't that part of the appeal? The thing with solid wood furniture is that they pretty much look good with any colour scheme. Wouldn't it be better to work on your colour scheme instead? E.g. painting walls, curtains, bedding, wooden flooring etc.

If you are looking for something more fake and modern then just buy them, they are cheap. But I don't think you should ruin a perfectly good quality furniture like that. Sell it.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Redfrost
Rep:
?
It may look old fashioned, but isn't that part of the appeal? The thing with solid wood furniture is that they pretty much look good with any colour scheme. Wouldn't it be better to work on your colour scheme instead? E.g. painting walls, curtains, bedding, wooden flooring etc.

If you are looking for something more fake and modern then just buy them, they are cheap. But I don't think you should ruin a perfectly good quality furniture like that. Sell it.
Yea you are right really. I was thinking it’s a shame as in itself it’s lovely and high quality.

It just looks out of place /bulky with the rest of the house if you know what I mean. It’s my new build house that’s cheap i suppose, it’s like it’s too good for my house lol

Here’s a pic if you know what I mean. I’l
Probably just leave it as it is and put it in the bigger bedroom it will look better in there with some different curtains. There’s a small bedside table which matches it too.
Attached files
Last edited by Redfrost; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yea you are right really. I was thinking it’s a shame as in itself it’s lovely and high quality.

It just looks out of place /bulky with the rest of the house if you know what I mean. It’s my new build house that’s cheap i suppose, it’s like it’s too good for my house lol

Here’s a pic if you know what I mean. I’l
Probably just leave it as it is and put it in the bigger bedroom it will look better in there with some different curtains. There’s a small bedside table which matches it too.
The reason it looks out of place is not because of the colour scheme, but because it is the only piece of wooden furniture in that room. I guarantee if you add a bedside wooden drawer, a wooden wardrobe and maybe some other wooden furniture, it will look amazing. I use a white and wooden mixed colour scheme for my room same as yours (walls and ceiling are white), along with wooden flooring, and it looks amazing. Wood furniture can match up with anything, but if you're only using just one piece, of course it's gonna look out of place!
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
X
I agree with Final Fantasy. Instead of painting it, why don't you add more wooden furniture.

Pinterest might be a good place for decorating ideas. :yep:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/298152437821627408/
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I agree with Final Fantasy. Instead of painting it, why don't you add more wooden furniture.

Pinterest might be a good place for decorating ideas. :yep:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/298152437821627408/
Yep you can also check out Gumtree sometimes people just giving nice wooden furniture away for free! When I was refurbishing my room, I had to get rid of a lot of old furniture and just ended up giving it away for people to collect.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yep you can also check out Gumtree sometimes people just giving nice wooden furniture away for free! When I was refurbishing my room, I had to get rid of a lot of old furniture and just ended up giving it away for people to collect.
PRSOM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads