Should I appeal my Uni result?

Watch
crazybanana274
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I got my Uni results last week (First year) and was really happy as I got mostly 2:1s, however in one of my exams I got graded 4/100. Turns out the Uni only got 1 page of 6 on Turnitin, so could only mark that. I do not believe this is my fault, however the Uni are saying that it is a fail and I must resit. Do you think it is worth appealing? I have evidence that I completed the exam in time (Scans of handwritten work with date and time), so proves that I am not trying to gain an advantage. I also had some problems at home which I would rather not mention, but may be considered in an appeal.

Thank you very much for whoever takes the time to respond.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by crazybanana274)
Hi, I got my Uni results last week (First year) and was really happy as I got mostly 2:1s, however in one of my exams I got graded 4/100. Turns out the Uni only got 1 page of 6 on Turnitin, so could only mark that. I do not believe this is my fault, however the Uni are saying that it is a fail and I must resit. Do you think it is worth appealing? I have evidence that I completed the exam in time (Scans of handwritten work with date and time), so proves that I am not trying to gain an advantage. I also had some problems at home which I would rather not mention, but may be considered in an appeal.

From what you've written, there aren't really any grounds to appeal:

I have evidence that I completed the exam in time (Scans of handwritten work with date and time),

Dates and times can be easily changed, and a 'scan' of your work is no real evidence of the time when it was completed. Note - I'm not suggesting you're lying here, just that the 'evidence' isn't robust enough.

I also had some problems at home which I would rather not mention, but may be considered in an appeal.

It's established practice that you cannot claim extenuating circumstances post hoc, that is 'after the event'. The reasons for this should be obvious. Personal problems which you feel may affect your performance in an assessment need to be disclosed before you take the assessment if you want them to be considered. The only time a board/appeals process might consider a post-hoc disclosure of ECs is in very rare cases where you could not reasonably be aware of the impact of the ECs. When I say 'rare', I mean 'very rare', and again I doubt very much whether this would be relevant in your case.

Essentially, the complete work was not uploaded into the portal in time, for whatever reason. The examiners can only mark what they have received, and this has resulted in a fail. I can't see here any actual grounds for a successful appeal.

Sorry.
crazybanana274
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
From what you've written, there aren't really any grounds to appeal:

Dates and times can be easily changed, and a 'scan' of your work is no real evidence of the time when it was completed. Note - I'm not suggesting you're lying here, just that the 'evidence' isn't robust enough.

It's established practice that you cannot claim extenuating circumstances post hoc, that is 'after the event'. The reasons for this should be obvious. Personal problems which you feel may affect your performance in an assessment need to be disclosed before you take the assessment if you want them to be considered. The only time a board/appeals process might consider a post-hoc disclosure of ECs is in very rare cases where you could not reasonably be aware of the impact of the ECs. When I say 'rare', I mean 'very rare', and again I doubt very much whether this would be relevant in your case.

Essentially, the complete work was not uploaded into the portal in time, for whatever reason. The examiners can only mark what they have received, and this has resulted in a fail. I can't see here any actual grounds for a successful appeal.

Sorry.
Thank you for your response, and please do not be sorry. I was after an honest opinion. Without sounding rude, please could I ask your level of qualification, as you sound extremely knowledgable? Thank you again.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your response, and please do not be sorry. I was after an honest opinion. Without sounding rude, please could I ask your level of qualification, as you sound extremely knowledgable? Thank you again.
I work in academia, and I have previous been on module and programme boards where issues like this are considered.

Please note - I cannot tell you categorically whether or not your appeal would be successful. You need to speak to your tutor/school admin office about this in the first instance, and by all means submit an appeal if you want. No-one on TSR, including me, can give you a definitive 'answer' - we can just advise, based on what you write here.
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

As Reality Check has said, sadly it's unlikely you'll have grounds to appeal.

In most university submission policies, it is your responsibility as the student to check your Turnitin submission to ensure that all pages of your submission have uploaded correctly and that it is the correct file that has uploaded - there's usually an option to do this during the upload process, and to also view your submission after it has uploaded. Check your university's policy by all means but I suspect that will be the case - in which case you're very unlikely to be able to successfully appeal the grade.

In terms of personal circumstances, whilst extenuating circumstances are unlikely to be considered after the fact, if you feel that personal circumstances at home have impacted on your studies this year I would recommend speaking to the university about this and getting support in place going forwards if the situation is ongoing or likely to recur.

It can be really difficult to talk about personal issues with the university but its important to get any support and guidance you might be entitled to - whether that takes the form of extended submission dates, additional exam time, additional mentoring/wellbeing support, or access to additional funds to help support your studies. Most universities have student support teams that are available to chat with throughout the summer - or you can talk to a trusted tutor who can signpost you to support services. If you're worried about approaching the university on your own, your students union and/or course reps may be able to provide peer support to you also.

I'm sure its really frustrating to get that mark when you know you've done the work. Do your marks this year count towards your final degree grade or are you on a course where you just have to pass the year? If the latter, it sounds like you've done really well on all your other assessments so focus on those successes, make sure you know what to do if Turnitin has issues in the future (and how to check that uploads have been successful), and focus on next year

Amy Louise
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Keele Postgraduate)

In most university submission policies, it is your responsibility as the student to check your Turnitin submission to ensure that all pages of your submission have uploaded correctly and that it is the correct file that has uploaded - there's usually an option to do this during the upload process, and to also view your submission after it has uploaded. Check your university's policy by all means but I suspect that will be the case - in which case you're very unlikely to be able to successfully appeal the grade.

In terms of personal circumstances, whilst extenuating circumstances are unlikely to be considered after the fact, if you feel that personal circumstances at home have impacted on your studies this year I would recommend speaking to the university about this and getting support in place going forwards if the situation is ongoing or likely to recur.

It can be really difficult to talk about personal issues with the university but its important to get any support and guidance you might be entitled to - whether that takes the form of extended submission dates, additional exam time, additional mentoring/wellbeing support, or access to additional funds to help support your studies. Most universities have student support teams that are available to chat with throughout the summer - or you can talk to a trusted tutor who can signpost you to support services. If you're worried about approaching the university on your own, your students union and/or course reps may be able to provide peer support to you also.

I'm sure its really frustrating to get that mark when you know you've done the work. Do your marks this year count towards your final degree grade or are you on a course where you just have to pass the year? If the latter, it sounds like you've done really well on all your other assessments so focus on those successes, make sure you know what to do if Turnitin has issues in the future (and how to check that uploads have been successful), and focus on next year

Amy Louise
Lovely and positive - I should take tips
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lovely and positive - I should take tips
Thank you . Your advice to OP was spot on - and I'd definitely second what you said about also checking with a tutor/academic school/admin team about grounds for appeal. The answer might be 'no' but it is always best to check with these things as each university has different policies and procedures.

I'm just going off my own experience - both as a postgraduate student who has had my own Turnitin woes (I nearly learned to ensure that I had uploaded the correct draft of work the hard way - fortunately I caught my mistake in time and was able to correct) and, more recently, as an associate lecturer grading work.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Their is no real harm in emailing in your "evidence" and the full paper, but im not sure its valid.

Ultimately the onus os on the applicant to submit their work correctly. I suspect you will be told to take the resit regardless. The good news is its first year and is unlikely to have any bearing on your overall degree classification. The key is to learn from this mistake.
crazybanana274
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keele Postgraduate)

Amy Louise
Thank you very much for your kind message, it is much appreciated.
crazybanana274
Rep:
?
I work in academia, and I have previous been on module and programme boards where issues like this are considered.

Please note - I cannot tell you categorically whether or not your appeal would be successful. You need to speak to your tutor/school admin office about this in the first instance, and by all means submit an appeal if you want. No-one on TSR, including me, can give you a definitive 'answer' - we can just advise, based on what you write here.
Thank you for your response, I greatly appreciate it.
crazybanana274
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Their is no real harm in emailing in your "evidence" and the full paper, but im not sure its valid.

Ultimately the onus os on the applicant to submit their work correctly. I suspect you will be told to take the resit regardless. The good news is its first year and is unlikely to have any bearing on your overall degree classification. The key is to learn from this mistake.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
17.12%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.21%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.41%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.74%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (26)
23.42%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.8%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads