Uni and diabetes (T1D)

Watch
Haïku
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am diabetic and will soon be entering university. I don't know many diabetics and I sometimes feel a bit lonely with my condition, so I'm looking around this forum to see if there are other people in the same situation!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haïku)
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am diabetic and will soon be entering university. I don't know many diabetics and I sometimes feel a bit lonely with my condition, so I'm looking around this forum to see if there are other people in the same situation!
Do you manage your T1DM by DAFNE?
Haïku
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Do you manage your T1DM by DAFNE?
No I don't because I can't seem to count my carbs... But for the moment I think I'm doing well in terms of physical health, it's however more complicated mentally.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haïku)
No I don't because I can't seem to count my carbs... But for the moment I think I'm doing well in terms of physical health, it's however more complicated mentally.
Yes, I understand that.
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haïku)
Hi everyone,

Hey Haïku!

I think you'll be positively surprised with how many individuals are in the same boat as you, and also how supportive people can be! During my undergraduate degree, I knew many people diabetics - and it was something I never met anyone with prior to University (Or at least not known about). An important part of diabetes is teaching people, and your housemates and friends will be wanting to learn to best help you wherever they can; University life is a big community, and communities like to help one-another.

It's also important to inform the University at the first instance. I assume many Universities are the same, but I know the University of Kent will provide a mini-fridge in your room to store insulin vials, and they will also allow you to have additional support. It varies by case, but this can be things like additional exam time if injections are needed, extended library book loan times and more.

I hope this helps!
- Nathan
UKC Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (36)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.84%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.5%

Watched Threads