The Student Room Group

Post Revision AND Study techniques/tools - A level edition

Post any revision/study and study techniques/tools that you have used so far to help you with exams and comment if they worked for you or not? If they haven't how would you improve the technique/tool ? What other technique/tools would you have used instead?
Original post by GST1_m4n543
Post any revision/study and study techniques/tools that you have used so far to help you with exams and comment if they worked for you or not? If they haven't how would you improve the technique/tool ? What other technique/tools would you have used instead?

Hey, these are the revision techniques I use but just be aware that people taking different subjects will find different methods are more effective than others so please take this with a pinch of salt:

- Flash cards can be useful however, I've found it is most effective when you have a question on one side and answer on the other side.
- Making notes (in my opinion) is a massive waste of time to an extent, especially if you spend ages making it look nice. It is a very passive form of revision and this also applies to reading the notes.
- Practice questions are one of the most useful revision methods (try to do it closed-book and timed if possible to get used to being under time pressure and then correct any mistakes after).
- DO NOT annotate the specification. It is a massive waste of time and you get nothing out of it. You can however use it to make sure you have covered all of the content/check for specific definitions.
- One method I love is to use a whiteboard and write down as much of a topic as I can and then any information I miss out, I write in a different colour. Once I've done that, I will then wipe everything out and write down everything I can remember again and repeat until I have remembered everything I need to in that topic.
- If you don't understand a topic/piece of information, watch a Youtube video on it or ask a teacher about it as you will eventually forget about it and struggle closer to the exams.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending