SimSim0303
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm in a really difficult situation, my Indian parents are completely against me taking a gap year and they want me to do a degree in maths which I DO NOT want to do. My mum keeps mentioning the fact that my dad didn't get a degree and he's had a bit of a struggle to get where he is now. I know they have my best interests at heart but I literally feel like I have no say in the matter. So I guess my question is, how do I convince my parents to let me take a gap year to get a bit of work experience and to have a bit more time to decide what I want to do at uni?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SimSim0303)
So I'm in a really difficult situation, my Indian parents are completely against me taking a gap year and they want me to do a degree in maths which I DO NOT want to do. My mum keeps mentioning the fact that my dad didn't get a degree and he's had a bit of a struggle to get where he is now. I know they have my best interests at heart but I literally feel like I have no say in the matter. So I guess my question is, how do I convince my parents to let me take a gap year to get a bit of work experience and to have a bit more time to decide what I want to do at uni?
Hey, convincing parents can be a very uphill battle. In my instance I had to convince them that me pursuing a degree in the arts (media and film) didn't mean I was wasting my life away lol. So what did I do ? I studied my parents and got to the root of their concerns. I then created a powerpoint presentation informing them what my degree really entails and what kind of jobs I could get after Uni.

At the core of everything I think parents just really want to know that you have a plan and won't waste away. I'd suggest if possible you have an honest conversation with them and assure them the gap year won't be a waste of time. Assure them you have a plan (hopefully you do) and allow them to ask you questions and be prepared to answer them. This will show you're responsible and have given your choices much careful thought.

Hopefully this helps and I wish you all the best.

Lee-UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed