do i have a chance at top tier consulting from edinburgh uni?

Watch
anon468
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’d really like to work in consulting after i graduate but im also fairly set on edinburgh uni - i just love it and i know it’s where i want to study. do i stand any chances of getting a job at top consulting firms like mckinsey etc? or should i just give up if im not from oxbridge/london
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anon468)
i’d really like to work in consulting after i graduate but im also fairly set on edinburgh uni - i just love it and i know it’s where i want to study. do i stand any chances of getting a job at top consulting firms like mckinsey etc? or should i just give up if im not from oxbridge/london
I definitely wouldn't give up on these firms and Edinburgh is still a great uni. Although getting into MBB is difficult outside of Oxbridge and LSE as I'm sure you know.

Perhaps the best thing would be to still apply to the MBB firms but also consider applying to other strategy consulting firms that aren't quite MBB (e.g. LEK Consulting for example). This way you don't pigeonhole yourself to just 3 firms but can still potentially do the work you're interested in.
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As Ben said, plenty of other consulting firms but pretty sure MBB regard Edinburgh as at least a semi target anyway. Just make sure to be hyper involved in extracurriculars and get internships at big brand names (doesn't have to be consulting). Most consulting recruiting happens at the grad level, not at the internship level.
nvie4321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
I definitely wouldn't give up on these firms and Edinburgh is still a great uni. Although getting into MBB is difficult outside of Oxbridge and LSE as I'm sure you know.

Perhaps the best thing would be to still apply to the MBB firms but also consider applying to other strategy consulting firms that aren't quite MBB (e.g. LEK Consulting for example). This way you don't pigeonhole yourself to just 3 firms but can still potentially do the work you're interested in.
What do you think about applying to EY-Parthenon or Strategy& from Uni of Southampton? Is that realistic or should I look for lower tier consultancies?
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nvie4321)
What do you think about applying to EY-Parthenon or Strategy& from Uni of Southampton? Is that realistic or should I look for lower tier consultancies?
Firstly, it's worth saying that I'm certainly no oracle on the topic. I've only worked at an MBB firm for a few months and currently do a bit of strategy consulting but mainly Econ consulting (probs a 70-30 or 80-20 split).

As with my previous post, I really wouldn't pigeonhole yourself to just a few firms, I can't see the logic in it personally. Target them yes, but you should be applying to dozens of places anyway regardless of the few firms that you really want to work for. There's a fair few strategy consulting firms and practices I don't quite understand why people tend to only focus on a few firms.

Another difficulty is that you've asked whether those strategy arms of big4 firms are realistic from Southampton but this massively depends on how you define realistic. You have to consider that to most highly competitive internships or grad schemes, you probably have a 5-15% chance of success if you're a pretty good candidate so you might be successful in 1/20 applications, maybe more or less, it varies. So is this realistic, is anything below a 50% chance unrealistic, below 20%, below 5%, maybe 1%? You can see the difficulty in answering in that people have different definitions of what's realistic.

But to give you a straight answer, I would imagine it wouldn't be easy to get into those firms from Southampton. They don't have massive recruitment sprees like other parts of the big 4. This doesn't mean you shouldn't apply and target them of course, you should, but all candidates who realistically want to work in strat consulting should apply to all the strat consulting firms in London. Strategy consulting hiring numbers aren't large and so if you were to give yourself a 5% chance of success at each, you'd need to apply to at least 20 if that makes sense so please just spend a fair amount of time on each application but you really need to cast your net a lot wider than a few firms, potentially even into other types of consulting, not just strategy if consulting is what you actually want to do, all candidates should do this unless you're at the very top of the very best unis tbh. This is my general take. Beyond that, I'm still not 100% sure why everyone fangirls over strat consulting, it's not even very technical, I guess they're good brand names tho which can be important. Apologies for the ramble
tierny3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
u can get in from any uni, dont let your uni control where you would like to work

you just need to compensate your uni brand name with something else e.g internship at a high brand name firm, first class degree, exceptional EC etc
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anon468)
Frankly it’s difficult from any university. MBB is more competitive then banking.

Best shot is definitely Oxbridge. My understanding is a lot of people struggle with the case interviews, perhaps trying to work on that.

If your willing to consider Big4 or tier 2 you probably have a more realistic shot, but this goes with everyone, its one of the most competitive grad routes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.93%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.97%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.22%
I need help with my personal statement (51)
38.06%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
26.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.24%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.46%

Watched Threads