KF1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I am interested to apply for second-year entry to LSE and UCL...I know the places for transfer students directly to the second year are very limited if any at all but my question is if I apply for transfer will they ask for my high school grades and all the stuff they usually ask for to a normal 1st year admission (not a transfer just a usual admission) or my grades at the first year of study in my current institution?

Thank you in advance for all the responses
KatetheLecturer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually, yes - some places have the policy that you can't transfer into second year if your A levels didn't meet the standard offer for the course, no matter how well you do in your first year. Best to check directly with Admissions - it's not always clear from the websites.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KF1999)
Hello, I am interested to apply for second-year entry to LSE and UCL...I know the places for transfer students directly to the second year are very limited if any at all but my question is if I apply for transfer will they ask for my high school grades and all the stuff they usually ask for to a normal 1st year admission (not a transfer just a usual admission) or my grades at the first year of study in my current institution?

Thank you in advance for all the responses
If you have not looked already, the Transfer FAQ here on TSR is very good.

Kate' reply above is spot-on. Only the unis themselves can tell you whether they consider transfers for the courses you are looking at, and what info they consider for transfer students. In most cases, decently ranked unis will want your previously achieved grades to be in line with any other new applicant. IE. decent undergrad grades elsewhere won't compensate for weaker level 3 qualifications, but you can always ask.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LSE hasn't had any Yr 2 entrants for nearly 10 years. UCL takes about 5-10 each year.

It's not a great idea to start a degree elsewhere in the hope of transferring to Yr 2 of either university. It's better to take a gap year and reapply.
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
KF1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
If you have not looked already, the Transfer FAQ here on TSR is very good.

Kate' reply above is spot-on. Only the unis themselves can tell you whether they consider transfers for the courses you are looking at, and what info they consider for transfer students. In most cases, decently ranked unis will want your previously achieved grades to be in line with any other new applicant. IE. decent undergrad grades elsewhere won't compensate for weaker level 3 qualifications, but you can always ask.
thank you for your reply ... I can see how decent undergrad grades elsewhere won't compensate for weaker level 3 qualifications but my question is more like what will be the case if we are talking about almost perfect grades at both semesters of year one in a different institution...but as you and kate said I should probably contact the universities themselves when I am about to apply...thanks again for the response, i really appreciate it
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KF1999)
thank you for your reply ... I can see how decent undergrad grades elsewhere won't compensate for weaker level 3 qualifications but my question is more like what will be the case if we are talking about almost perfect grades at both semesters of year one in a different institution...but as you and kate said I should probably contact the universities themselves when I am about to apply...thanks again for the response, i really appreciate it
No worries. Please see PQ's reply about numbers of transferring students and set your expectations accordingly. No harm in asking though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads