Can someone give the reason why please (dividing a polynomial by a quadratic)

Watch
jojo55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there .

Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 12.05.15.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  97.5 KB

I'm reading the attached question and I do not understand why we stop dividing because the degree of -12x +5 is smaller than the denominator in the question.

Could someone please explain why do we stop dividing when we get to the part where the degree is now smaller?

(I've not put the rest of the answer up. It jus shows the values of A, B and C).

Thanks
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jojo55)
Hi there .

Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 12.05.15.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  97.5 KB

I'm reading the attached question and I do not understand why we stop dividing because the degree of -12x +5 is smaller than the denominator in the question.

Could someone please explain why do we stop dividing when we get to the part where the degree is now smaller?

(I've not put the rest of the answer up. It jus shows the values of A, B and C).

Thanks
As divsion is the inverse of multiplication and the result of multiplying some polynomial with a quadratic must follow
constant * quadratic = quadratic
linear * quadratic = cubic
quadratic * quadratic = quartic
If the right hand side is linear or constant, there is no polynomial which can multiply a quadratic to generate it. Hence you have a linear (or constant or zero) remainder after division by a quadratic.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
The Malevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think of it in terms of numbers, not polynomials, it works much the same way.

When the numerator is greater than the denominator, such as 9/5, you can split the fraction into 5/5 + 4/5, which is basically 1 + 4/5. When the numerator is no longer greater than or equal to the denominator, the fraction cannot be simplified further.

Similarly, when the polynomial in the numerator is of lower degree than the one in the denominator, the fraction cannot be simplified any more (at least for the purposes of this exercise). This is why you end up with a linear factor in the numerator, and a quadratic factor in the denominator.

Hope this helped!
Last edited by The Malevolent; 1 month ago
jojo55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks a lot. I understand it now .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.14%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.14%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
47.62%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
23.81%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.38%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
4.76%

Watched Threads