What are you opinions on these Unis

Watch
rxrx2004
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a good day.
Please give me your honest opinions on any of the following unis (eg. XXX have a very bad mental health help service, YYY's city is sh*t)

Thank you

1. Bristol
2. Manchester
3. Southampton
4. UCL
5.Leeds?
6. Southampton?
7. Bristol?
8. Nottingham?
9. Bath?( Not Russel group)
10. Sheffield?
11. Liverpool?
12. Loughborough? (Not RG)
13. Lancaster (Not RG)
Last edited by rxrx2004; 1 month ago
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
Ignore the question marks after some..I've just copied and pasted those from my spreadsheet

I'm hoping this will help me make a descision.
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
It would be great if you could a give a reason for your answers please

Oh and I'm looking to study Physics and Engineering
Kentinho99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rxrx2004)
Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a good day.
Please give me your honest opinions on the following unis (eg. XXX have a very bad mental health help service)

Thank you

1. Bristol
2. Manchester
3. Southampton
4. UCL
5.Leeds?
6. Southampton?
7. Bristol?
8. Nottingham?
9. Bath?( Not Russel group)
10. Sheffield?
11. Liverpool?
12. Loughborough? (Not RG)
Hi my opinions are:
Bristol is a bit fancy for me.
Manchester is alright but I don't care much about the city.
Southampton seems lovely a great place a bit too expensive for me.
UCL well its London its not really my cup of tea.
Leeds is a great place but as I'm from West Yorkshire Leeds is a bit too hyped up for me.
Nottingham is a bit of a big University city a bit too Liberal for me.
Bath seems very nice but very posh and expensive.
Sheffield is a great place lovely city a bit like Nottingham and its not really a place I'd go for university.
Liverpool is a fantastic city lots of culture. Again a bit big for me personally.
Finally Loughborough is a very posh place great for sports but it's a bit out of my reach at the moment.

I'd say my favourite personally is Southampton but again it's your choice. Hope this helps 🙂
Kentinho99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It would be great if you could a give a reason for your answers please

Oh and I'm looking to study Physics and Engineering
Are you wanting to go to a big or small uni
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
That's quite a list of unis.

Maybe you could look more in depth into the modules for each course, see if any have more modules than others that appeal or whether any particularly stand out as relevant to your interests and future career goals.

Bit of a mix between larger and smaller cities too. Living in London for example is different to living elsewhere in the uk (as well as being more costly), some people love it whilst others don't. What sort of place / area appeals to you the most in terms of general living? You will be spending three years of your life there after all.
JOSH4598
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can find all this out on the university league tables as it's unlikely anyone will have a broad knowledge of all of these uni's.

I would recommend researching these yourself and shortlisting four or five to visit at some point. I found visiting the city and walking round the campus far more valuable than advice received online.
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kentinho99)
Hi my opinions are:
Bristol is a bit fancy for me.
Manchester is alright but I don't care much about the city.
Southampton seems lovely a great place a bit too expensive for me.
UCL well its London its not really my cup of tea.
Leeds is a great place but as I'm from West Yorkshire Leeds is a bit too hyped up for me.
Nottingham is a bit of a big University city a bit too Liberal for me.
Bath seems very nice but very posh and expensive.
Sheffield is a great place lovely city a bit like Nottingham and its not really a place I'd go for university.
Liverpool is a fantastic city lots of culture. Again a bit big for me personally.
Finally Loughborough is a very posh place great for sports but it's a bit out of my reach at the moment.

I'd say my favourite personally is Southampton but again it's your choice. Hope this helps 🙂
Thank you, have a good day

Are you wanting to go to a big or small uni
do you mean the city or the reputation?
Kentinho99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you, have a good day

do you mean the city or the reputation?
I mean do you want to go to a University based in a city or close to a town, or a campus university which is out of the city? Also do you want to go to a big city University?
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
That's quite a list of unis.

Maybe you could look more in depth into the modules for each course, see if any have more modules than others that appeal or whether any particularly stand out as relevant to your interests and future career goals.

Bit of a mix between larger and smaller cities too. Living in London for example is different to living elsewhere in the uk (as well as being more costly), some people love it whilst others don't. What sort of place / area appeals to you the most in terms of general living? You will be spending three years of your life there after all.
that's a good idea, I'll have a look at the course content
I'd like to go somewhere like Cambridge and Oxford...the cities are beautiful and I love the idea of a college system because it's probably a lot easier to make friends in a college.

(Original post by JOSH4598)
You can find all this out on the university league tables as it's unlikely anyone will have a broad knowledge of all of these uni's.

I would recommend researching these yourself and shortlisting four or five to visit at some point. I found visiting the city and walking round the campus far more valuable than advice received online.
Thank you, but I just had a look and they don't seem to have an option for Physics...They have Physics and Astronomy but that's not Physics.

I mean do you want to go to a University based in a city or close to a town, or a campus university which is out of the city? Also do you want to go to a big city University?
okay, this is where I'm indecisive and can't choose. I like the sound of a campus uni because it's probably easier to make friends and a city university sounds a little daunting I cant lie.
Kentinho99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that's a good idea, I'll have a look at the course content
I'd like to go somewhere like Cambridge and Oxford...the cities are beautiful and I love the idea of a college system because it's probably a lot easier to make friends in a college.

Thank you, but I just had a look and they don't seem to have an option for Physics...They have Physics and Astronomy but that's not Physics.

okay, this is where I'm indecisive and can't choose. I like the sound of a campus uni because it's probably easier to make friends and a city university sounds a little daunting I cant lie.
Yeah I totally understand what you mean that's what madetmy decision. Myself I'm going to Plymouth marjon University which is a great campus university and has lots of on site activities and it's really close knit. Plus it's only 30 minutes away from the beautiful city of Plymouth. But that's just me. I mean I don't know about physics or engineering personally but it is an ocean city with ships and everything. I mean Southampton may seem like a lovely place and everything. I guess it also depends on how much rent you are willing to pay if you are living on campus/in university accommodation.
Cote1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know Loughborough as a town and it is not really posh. The town is quite small and about 25 minutes drive from Leicester.
Sheffield is a great city.
Manchester is not so much my cup of tea as a city but lots of people love it there.
Nottingham is a nice city but it is not a campus university as such (I don't think).
Kentinho99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cote1)
I know Loughborough as a town and it is not really posh. The town is quite small and about 25 minutes drive from Leicester.
Manchester is not so much my cup of tea as a city but lots of people love it there.
Nottingham is a nice city but it is not a campus university as such (I don't think).
Ah right I don't know much about Loughborough haha it looks like a nice place and the university looks very posh.
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by JOSH4598)

oh and about visiting the unis, I'd love to but I live at least 2 hours away from all of them (which is why I chose them) so it wouldn't be feasible for me to visit more than about 5 of them in person.

Yeah I totally understand what you mean that's what madetmy decision. Myself I'm going to Plymouth marjon University which is a great campus university and has lots of on site activities and it's really close knit. Plus it's only 30 minutes away from the beautiful city of Plymouth. But that's just me. I mean I don't know about physics or engineering personally but it is an ocean city with ships and everything. I mean Southampton may seem like a lovely place and everything. I guess it also depends on how much rent you are willing to pay if you are living on campus/in university accommodation.
that sounds really nice. I might add Plymouth to my list Good luck

(Original post by Cote1)
okay, I'll take your word for it and cross off Loughborugh!
Why don't you like Manchester? I am definitely planning on applying there because it's really good for Physics and Engineering
Kentinho99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh and about visiting the unis, I'd love to but I live at least 2 hours away from all of them (which is why I chose them) so it wouldn't be feasible for me to visit more than about 5 of them in person.

that sounds really nice. I might add Plymouth to my list Good luck

okay, I'll take your word for it and cross off Loughborugh!
Why don't you like Manchester? I am definitely planning on applying there because it's really good for Physics and Engineering
You should put Plymouth marjon on your list because the city is really clean and lovely but again like you say you should go to a University which is great for physics and engineering. Manchester is ok however I think the city is too big personally. But again wherever you choose I hope you have a wonderful time. 🙂
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
You should put Plymouth marjon on your list because the city is really clean and lovely but again like you say you should go to a University which is great for physics and engineering. Manchester is ok however I think the city is too big personally. But again wherever you choose I hope you have a wonderful time. 🙂
sad times I just checked it's 5hours from me! Too far
Thank you, I hope you have an amazing time at Plymouth, I'm sure you'll make lots of friends.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Are there any virtual open days going on? Most unis went virtual last year and may still have some virtual sessions going on this year, or at the very least copies of all the talks / presentations on youtube or their own sites etc.

Based on my personal tastes i think bristol, manchester and sheffield are all great cities to live in with plenty going on and the unis have a great reputation. Nottingham i went to once for a conference and the campus was really huge and green so i think it would be a good campus choice, the city is in a bit of a decline compared to bristol / manchester but there's still plenty to do and the usual restaurants and clubs. I've heard Leeds is also a nice city. I wouldn't touch London with a bargepole as it's not my sort of place, and i don't know too much about the other picks. I think manc, bristol, sheffield and nottingham would be my top picks based on location alone, but that's just my preference and you really need to find somewhere that fits you.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I personally think manc is one of the best big cities to live in. Yeah it's big but everywhere you'd usually want to go is surprisingly walkable once you're in the centre and not spread out too much, and the buses are so good getting around to the mid and outer areas when you want is easy too. I think op would really benefit from a few visits / open days to get a feel for their choices more though.
rxrx2004
Rep:
?
Are there any virtual open days going on? Most unis went virtual last year and may still have some virtual sessions going on this year, or at the very least copies of all the talks / presentations on youtube or their own sites etc.

Based on my personal tastes i think bristol, manchester and sheffield are all great cities to live in with plenty going on and the unis have a great reputation. Nottingham i went to once for a conference and the campus was really huge and green so i think it would be a good campus choice, the city is in a bit of a decline compared to bristol / manchester but there's still plenty to do and the usual restaurants and clubs. I've heard Leeds is also a nice city. I wouldn't touch London with a bargepole as it's not my sort of place, and i don't know too much about the other picks. I think manc, bristol, sheffield and nottingham would be my top picks based on location alone, but that's just my preference and you really need to find somewhere that fits you.
Thank you!!!
ah about the virtual open days..do you know if there are any websites that have a list of all the dates of open days? It's quite hard to keep track of so many!

I personally think manc is one of the best big cities to live in. Yeah it's big but everywhere you'd usually want to go is surprisingly walkable once you're in the centre and not spread out too much, and the buses are so good getting around to the mid and outer areas when you want is easy too. I think op would really benefit from a few visits / open days to get a feel for their choices more though.
thank you
Kentinho99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sad times I just checked it's 5hours from me! Too far
Thank you, I hope you have an amazing time at Plymouth, I'm sure you'll make lots of friends.
Fair enough yeah Plymouth is far away. It's about 5 hours away from me too haha because I live in Yorkshire aha. I guess it's just for me I'm not too bothered about distance because that is my ideal university but each to their own plus it is a huge sacrifice. Anyway thank yousso much and I hope you find your ideal university and have a great time there 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads