cassielle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have started preparing my uni applications, and I've decided on which courses I want to take at which uni (mostly anthropology degrees, with one in archaeology and anthropology), but it's a subject I've never studied before in school so I don't know if I'll like studying it at university. (I enjoyed the online courses and wider reading I did on the subject, though)

My parents are asking me to prepare other applications in case an anthropology course doesn't suit me, but I'm not sure if it's possible, especially considering that they want me to prepare a completely different degree (ie. PPE or Economics) as my "backup". I know it's possible to change your course early in the first term, but it is also possible to change to a completely unrelated course, without having done the necessary personal statement/entrance exams/interviews and supercurriculars for that subject?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cassielle)
I have started preparing my uni applications, and I've decided on which courses I want to take at which uni (mostly anthropology degrees, with one in archaeology and anthropology), but it's a subject I've never studied before in school so I don't know if I'll like studying it at university. (I enjoyed the online courses and wider reading I did on the subject, though)

My parents are asking me to prepare other applications in case an anthropology course doesn't suit me, but I'm not sure if it's possible, especially considering that they want me to prepare a completely different degree (ie. PPE or Economics) as my "backup". I know it's possible to change your course early in the first term, but it is also possible to change to a completely unrelated course, without having done the necessary personal statement/entrance exams/interviews and supercurriculars for that subject?
The short answer is yes, it may be possible to transfer IF you have the requisite grades and essential subjects at A-Level (or equivalent) AND they have space on the other course.

You won't need to prepare a second application though. It would just be dealt with as an internal transfer. It's unlikely they would need a new PS.

The key thing is to research the anthropology related courses that you're interested in now, rather than second guessing yourself already. (Parents will always want you to do something safe that they perceive as employable.)
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go to in-person Uni Open Days when they resume in the autumn - and go to the Anth subject presentations, and ask existing students as many questions as you can think off. But also, book yourself onto another subject presentation at each one - this is a good way of confirming to yourself that 'I dont want to do that'. It also reassures your parents that you aren't making this decision blindly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads