Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
what difference does it make if you stay at home and attend uni and don't move out, in terms of social life?
would love to hear any uni experiences and stories too
xx
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what difference does it make if you stay at home and attend uni and don't move out, in terms of social life?
xx
Quite a big difference, especially the first 2 years.

A lot of the social aspects of university happen in the evenings and in accommodation (either halls or student housing). A lot of spontaneous fun & banter happens in these environments. Also if you want to join societies or sports teams if you are commuting it is quite hard to make time for these just due to the typical timings of when they run.

A good compromise is living at uni in first year, making a group of mates who are happy for you to crash on their couch if you go out midweek in second year. Although you may find after you move out once, you lose the desire to move back in with your family.
Last edited by mnot; 5 months ago
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
xx
Hello,

You can still get a full and rewarding university experience if commuting. I have lots of friends who commute and they do not miss out on events just to commuting. It sometimes means having to stay over at a friend's or getting a late night bus but university students never mind having someone on the sofa. I even kept an air bed for my friends!

You can get involved with societies, reach out to other commuters and hang out with your course mates between and after lectures. This allows you to have a university experience but still go home at the end of the day if that is the situation that suits you best.

I would have to admit there is a little more ease with living in. This is because you can just wander home to your flat at the end of the night and in a sense you are given 5 friends in your new flat. Everyone is in the same boat and finding new independence so it is easy for new flat mates to find a routine together, and simple things like nipping to the shops as a group can help form a bond.

University is what you make it and commuters can have a great time too. As I say, a lot of my friends are and they still have a brilliant time.

I hope this helps,
Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.55%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.41%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.31%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (216)
46.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.25%

Watched Threads