The Student Room Group

Women In Computer Science

Hi,

I am going into Year 13 and plan to do Computer Science at Aston University, I just wanted to ask if anybody knew the ratio of male: female students and how they found being on a course that is male dominated?

Also.... I'm not doing A- Level Maths or Computer Science but I have a genuine passion for the subject.... How hard would I find it?
I can't answer for your particular course but I was one of a small number of females on a male dominated course and I had a great time socially :smile:
I now work in IT and gender is irrelevant these days - when I started I had to be 'one of the boys' but that isn't my experience any more
Original post by ReadingMum
I can't answer for your particular course but I was one of a small number of females on a male dominated course and I had a great time socially :smile:
I now work in IT and gender is irrelevant these days - when I started I had to be 'one of the boys' but that isn't my experience any more

ah okay thank you for your insight; did you find anything difficult?
(edited 2 years ago)
Okay, thank you so much for your advice! :smile:
Original post by tsaxoxo123
ah okay thank you for your insight; did you find anything difficult?

No - I really didn't. I was doing engineering - 60+ on the course of which 4 were female.
Original post by ReadingMum
No - I really didn't. I was doing engineering - 60+ on the course of which 4 were female.

Thank you for the help! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by tsaxoxo123
Hi,

I am going into Year 13 and plan to do Computer Science at Aston University, I just wanted to ask if anybody knew the ratio of male: female students and how they found being on a course that is male dominated?

Also.... I'm not doing A- Level Maths or Computer Science but I have a genuine passion for the subject.... How hard would I find it?

Not at that uni but on my software engineering course its about 1 in 10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending