pineapplemango
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am having a bit of dilemma. I will be a postgraduate student in Edinburgh, and I cant decide if I want to get my own place or if I should live in a flatshare. I have the budget for both, so it is more based on the experience.

If I live by myself I would be able to have people over when I want, I dont have to take other people into consideration as much, and I guess it would overall be a bit more independent. I am, however, worried that it would be harder to meet people/be social and that it would get a bit lonely.

If I live in a flatshare it would help me meet people, as I would be looking for a social flatshare. It might boost the university experience a bit, but it can be such a hit or miss based on who Id live with although I would try to do my research in advance and get to know the people I would live with a bit.

What do you guys recommend for a postgraduate student based on experience? Is it better to have your own place where you can come and go as you please, or is it better to live with some people that you could socialize with and such?

I am aware that this is a very situation based and general question, just thought Id see if anyone on here has any advice.
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pineapplemango)
I am having a bit of dilemma. I will be a postgraduate student in Edinburgh, and I cant decide if I want to get my own place or if I should live in a flatshare. I have the budget for both, so it is more based on the experience.

If I live by myself I would be able to have people over when I want, I dont have to take other people into consideration as much, and I guess it would overall be a bit more independent. I am, however, worried that it would be harder to meet people/be social and that it would get a bit lonely.

If I live in a flatshare it would help me meet people, as I would be looking for a social flatshare. It might boost the university experience a bit, but it can be such a hit or miss based on who Id live with although I would try to do my research in advance and get to know the people I would live with a bit.

What do you guys recommend for a postgraduate student based on experience? Is it better to have your own place where you can come and go as you please, or is it better to live with some people that you could socialize with and such?

I am aware that this is a very situation based and general question, just thought Id see if anyone on here has any advice.
Hello,

Whilst I am not a post graduate myself, I would like to offer some advice.

When in a flat share or shared accommodation, the other tenants are often a lot more casual than expected. Having friends round is common place in communal areas and if friends are in your room then there is not even reason to ask. Unless you were going to be particularly loud really late and wanted to give a heads up!

I know undergraduates who have lived with a postgrad and they fit in together very happily. They all still went out together but had their own separate things too. I did not realise the flat mate was a postgrad until I was actually told!

If you are able to get university accommodation that always has its benefits as you can easily change flat if you are having problems with current flat mates. Though this does not happen much as everyone is very agreeable when in a new situation and has the university in common.
University managed accommodation, or accommodation sites for university students can often place you with fellow postgraduates which puts you all in a similar position and gives you a lot of common ground for forming friendships. It would also be nice to be in the same position as each other.

On the other hand, living in private accommodation is not as isolating as it may first appear. It is definitely more outreach as you do not have 4 other flat mates who are essentially given to you to be friends. You are still able to get involved with societies, university activities, make good friends with your cohort and meet people on nights out. It also has the benefit of complete independence, and as you say, not having to worry about anyone else when organising parties. You can also be as untidy as you like which is in some cases a plus!

I think you can come and go as you please in a shared accommodation as everyone has their own new found independence and their is a level of understanding. However, there are definitely benefits to private accommodation and it shouldn't be ruled out because of loneliness. One o my friends has a studio flat and she still has such a big circle of friends!

I hope this helps a little,
Lydia
pineapplemango
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hello,

Whilst I am not a post graduate myself, I would like to offer some advice.

When in a flat share or shared accommodation, the other tenants are often a lot more casual than expected. Having friends round is common place in communal areas and if friends are in your room then there is not even reason to ask. Unless you were going to be particularly loud really late and wanted to give a heads up!

I know undergraduates who have lived with a postgrad and they fit in together very happily. They all still went out together but had their own separate things too. I did not realise the flat mate was a postgrad until I was actually told!

If you are able to get university accommodation that always has its benefits as you can easily change flat if you are having problems with current flat mates. Though this does not happen much as everyone is very agreeable when in a new situation and has the university in common.
University managed accommodation, or accommodation sites for university students can often place you with fellow postgraduates which puts you all in a similar position and gives you a lot of common ground for forming friendships. It would also be nice to be in the same position as each other.

On the other hand, living in private accommodation is not as isolating as it may first appear. It is definitely more outreach as you do not have 4 other flat mates who are essentially given to you to be friends. You are still able to get involved with societies, university activities, make good friends with your cohort and meet people on nights out. It also has the benefit of complete independence, and as you say, not having to worry about anyone else when organising parties. You can also be as untidy as you like which is in some cases a plus!

I think you can come and go as you please in a shared accommodation as everyone has their own new found independence and their is a level of understanding. However, there are definitely benefits to private accommodation and it shouldn't be ruled out because of loneliness. One o my friends has a studio flat and she still has such a big circle of friends!

I hope this helps a little,
Lydia
Thank you so so so much for this, it was super helpful! I just booked a studio apartment that became available in a student building, so that way I will get my own private space while also being in an environment with other students Thank you again, your advice helped me a lot!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pineapplemango)

When I was a MA student, I booked a room in a private halls flat which housed 6 other people. I thought it would be mostly PGs in there with me, but it turned out to be a mix of levels (2 2nd Years, 1 PGCE student, 2 3rd Years, and 1 1st Year!). We never became close because we were at such different stages, and I also had problems with noise from one of the 2nd Years and a biohazard of a kitchen.

If I were to do it again, I'd definitely go for a studio (if I could afford it). I made loads of friends outside of my accommodation, so I never felt lonely.
pineapplemango
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
When I was a MA student, I booked a room in a private halls flat which housed 6 other people. I thought it would be mostly PGs in there with me, but it turned out to be a mix of levels (2 2nd Years, 1 PGCE student, 2 3rd Years, and 1 1st Year!). We never became close because we were at such different stages, and I also had problems with noise from one of the 2nd Years and a biohazard of a kitchen.

If I were to do it again, I'd definitely go for a studio (if I could afford it). I made loads of friends outside of my accommodation, so I never felt lonely.
Thank you so much for the advice! I am sorry about that experience, that sucks. I was in a similar situation during my undergrad years, and got randomly placed in a flatshare with people I didnt get along with, so definitely dont want that to be repeated.

Thankfully I managed to get a studio a few days ago, so Ill be going that route
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads