it was hard work but lots of fun
was a bit upsetting when people didn't get in
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
your volunteering sounds so worthwhile! :woohoo:
don't how if it's extended to NI but Aldi are doing super cheap school uniform bundles (https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/15340...chool-uniform/), that link also has some interesting supermarket price comparisons for uniforms!
sadforsadboys
Badges: 18
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Ooo enrolment and wow timetables already :eek:

glad you're enjoying the volunteering

I helped out with enrolment at my sixth form today but I left early
it was hard work but lots of fun
was a bit upsetting when people didn't get in
Honestly I was so surprised to see the timetable!

It's always gut wrenching when people don't get in

(Original post by laurawatt)
your volunteering sounds so worthwhile! :woohoo:
don't how if it's extended to NI but Aldi are doing super cheap school uniform bundles (https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/15340...chool-uniform/), that link also has some interesting supermarket price comparisons for uniforms!
This might surprise you but we actually have no Aldi here! That link is definitely super helpful - thank you! I've noticed one of the local MLAs go to Tesco recently and collect a lot of their uniform bits to give to those who need them.
sadforsadboys
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
UPDATE 2 - MISERY
An update that's taken a bit longer than I anticipated to write, but here we are. We're coming to the end of August and of the summer, I won't lie, I'm sad to see it going. We're also coming to the end of the Ten Foundations school bag pop up shop which makes me feel sad, mostly because of the artwork on the wall likely being covered up by whoever moves into the unit after us. We're still going to sell our bags in the clothes shop so on the bright side I won't be running between 2 different retail locations all day!
Okay so my maths isn't exactly that good, but I did some number crunching and I think we're raised either close to £100,000 or over £100,000 since retail reopened in Northern Ireland. The bag pop up shop in Banbridge has pulled in roughly £50,000, the clothes shop has made about £40,000, the CastleCourt bag shop pulled in roughly £12,000 and the furniture shop is doing well though I haven't got the exact numbers. Not bad for a small charity, eh? Honestly it wouldn't be worth it had we not had all of our volunteers pitching in across the shops. I've been in about 4 times this week, most likely going back in tomorrow too. I'm moving my volunteering day to a Monday too as I'm out of college at 12:00. I've never been in the town more in my life than the last 4 months.
(I'm obsessed with this gif, it's pure Tre Cool)
College wise, I'm still waiting for my induction date, though my friend got theirs (6th September) and is (sadly) in another campus . No more lunch dates for us I guess. I've picked my first day outfit alongside which of my 500,000 Ten Foundations bags I'll use with it. I also picked out my stationery and have a rough idea of what to bring for my lunch. It's getting closer and closer
I got these new sets of neighbours this summer and oh boy, it just doesn't feel right. It's one of those "the vibes are different" kinds of things. Where they live now used to be elderly couples who barely made an inch of noise, an entirely new generation of kids now live there. I'm just not used to a swarm of kids being around. Good thing the school year is starting up - peace and quiet for me! 🤣 But hey, they're willing to fight one of the long-term neighbours which provides me with GREAT entertainment. Nothing like a street fight, eh?
Anyways, I'm off to clean my room before I do anything else today. Slán!

Tags:

sadforsadboys
?
UPDATE 3 - 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN
Aaaah we're in September now and that means we're closer to the winter time Anyone who knows me knows winter is a difficult time health wise so it'll be interesting how it affects me this year. It managed to knock me off my course completely last year which is quite impressive lmao. At least I'm able to wear a coat to and from college, we weren't allowed to wear coats to and from school (if a teacher, who was most likely to be in a heated car wearing a coat, saw you walking to school with a coat on, they'd tell you off it was pathetic). Maybe I'll find a really nice coat in Ten Foundations, maybe even a nice wee coat.

I would like some of your ideas here: We're going to paint the changing rooms but we don't know what to paint! One idea was to take the designs from our school bags and using those as inspiration, another was to recreate the "Mabuhay" wall from the pop up school bag shop (which is sadly now gone :cry: - until next year!).

I just got word that I'm starting college on the 6th for an induction session, they did tell me it would be the week of the 13th so now I have less time to mentally prepare.
I think I have an idea of what I want to wear. I'm not trying to go overboard but I don't want to look like a slob for my first day lol. The induction is taking place in the lecture theatre which makes me wonder how many people are going to be in my class. Aaagh I'm not readyyyyyyy.

Anywoo I'm off to cry now x

TAGS
Last edited by sadforsadboys; 1 month ago
Cupcakes12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sadforsadboys)
Aaaah we're in September now and that means we're closer to the winter time Anyone who knows me knows winter is a difficult time health wise so it'll be interesting how it affects me this year. It managed to knock me off my course completely last year which is quite impressive lmao. At least I'm able to wear a coat to and from college, we weren't allowed to wear coats to and from school (if a teacher, who was most likely to be in a heated car wearing a coat, saw you walking to school with a coat on, they'd tell you off it was pathetic). Maybe I'll find a really nice coat in Ten Foundations, maybe even a nice wee coat.
How is that even allowed!!?

At our school we could wear coats in lessons if we were cold (we do have some dreadful classrooms that are like greenhouses though). Not being allowed to wear coats when you're walking to school seems ridiculous though, what if it was raining?

Anyways, I am loving your blog so far and I wish you lots of success for the year ahead.
sadforsadboys
?
(Original post by Cupcakes12)
How is that even allowed!!?

At our school we could wear coats in lessons if we were cold (we do have some dreadful classrooms that are like greenhouses though). Not being allowed to wear coats when you're walking to school seems ridiculous though, what if it was raining?
You just get wet or you get in trouble, they’re very much stuck in their ways. Schools are a bit odd here not gonna lie 😂
sadforsadboys
?
UPDATE 4 - JE ME CASSE
Goooooooood whatever time of day it is! I’m currently chilling in my room after my busy day yesterday. I can thankfully say that yesterday was a very successful day indeed with a wide variety of new experiences/opportunities (certainly better than the nightmare I set myself up with last year 😳). Our first port of call was to head to the lecture theatre for the induction. Everything was explained in detail and we got to see some of the extracurriculars (of sorts?) available to us during the course - including trips abroad! ✈️ Alongside these details we were introduced to some of our tutors and the library workers 📖 who work with us as part of our course (we go into these groups in the library to work on certain skills). After a quick break we headed back to the lecture theatre and got put into our main tutor groups; there are three classes in this course and about 22-24 in each class. We also got our schedules which aren’t final as of yet, but we shall see. I guess overall it was a good day, though probably could’ve been better. 😋

Of course after we finished, I decided to call into Ten Foundations after to help out with a little bit of clothes sorting. Emma and I worked through a few bags together, sorting them into three piles: ready to sell; needs ironing; recycling. There are an awful lot of times where we get donated goods that we just can’t sell such as socks or trousers covered in paint stains (I am not going to talk about what some of the stuff we sorted was...), they ultimately end up in our recycling pile and over time that adds up… it’s a real shame. Though, I’d say we get more good quality things than bad. For everything we had to throw into our recycling bag, we have 10 good quality, ready to sell clothes. It’s even better when the donations get washed before coming to us! 🤩 I’m back on Friday and I actually can’t wait!

TAGS

JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like you've been fairly busy recently and have been doing a good job with volunteering!

This week is my last week at work (I have my final two shifts tomorrow and Thursday) before I leave for York on Saturday morning. I've already made a start on packing my small suitcase (all my other belongings are at a friend's place) and I definitely need another bag to pack my trainers and a few extra bits of stuff (there shouldn't be a lot!).

It'll feel weird when I finish my last shift for my Summer job on Thursday and start preparing to return to York because overall, I've enjoyed working where I work, though it's not something I want to do in the future. If I was studying in London, I would definitely consider working part-time where I work as the pay is good and I enjoy seeing and serving the regulars.

Anyway, when I'm back in York and properly settled in my new accommodation, I'm going to do a bit more work on my SPS Dissertation with a caveat - the caveat being that I'm not expected to have done an awful lot except have a clearer idea of what I want to do with my dissertation. I'm probably going to spend the next 2 weeks having much needed time to myself, catching up with friends (the ones who have kindly agreed to let me store my belongings in their spare room), and compiling relevant articles (newspaper articles, academic articles on The Conservation, etc.). But ideally, I don't want to find myself doing too much work - I just want to enjoy the next 2 weeks before the academic year/term resumes again!
flaurie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A Eurovision fan I see? :awesome:
sadforsadboys
?
(Original post by flaurie)
A Eurovision fan I see? :awesome:
Yes

(Original post by JT_888)
It'll feel weird when I finish my last shift for my Summer job on Thursday and start preparing to return to York because overall, I've enjoyed working where I work, though it's not something I want to do in the future. If I was studying in London, I would definitely consider working part-time where I work as the pay is good and I enjoy seeing and serving the regulars.
I definitely get you there! One chapter closes and another one opens, you'll always have the memories on hand and a map to unlock more.
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sadforsadboys)
I definitely get you there! One chapter closes and another one opens, you'll always have the memories on hand and a map to unlock more.
Definitely! It's my last day today and my work colleagues are planning to treat me to bubble tea which is lovely. I should also add that I better remember to pack my other work uniform in my backpack later and remember to return it after my last shift.

Speaking of the next chapter, I might consider looking for part-time work in York, but atm it's best to wait for my academic timetable to be released which will give me a clearer indication of the 'free time' I have. I also have to fit in driving lessons (currently on a waiting list) and I may have to postpone my practical test again (I've lost track of how many times).
sadforsadboys
?
l will probably post an update on Friday going over my week, see u then x
sadforsadboys
?
UPDATE 5 - TOO MUCH LOVE WILL KILL YOU
Well first of all I should start this off with some pretty big news - I met Brian May last week! He was really lovely to talk with and I'm excited to see him again on the stage in May (alongside Adam and Roger of course)!

Back onto the academic side of things, this week has just been a bizarre amount of content intake that I seem to not be used to yet. After every lesson I feel informed on what we learned but also overloaded at the same time due to how long some of these lessons are (ranging from 1.5 hours to 3). It'll take a bit for me to adjust to it all but I am feeling confident in the course (unlike last time loooooooooooooooool).

Other things that have happened this week is a terrible period which is putting me through a lot of pain (as expected), my dad's 49th birthday and us buying him the same shirt that he had on, volunteering for about 9 hours and getting my first set of revision notes done. Oh, and Sabrina releasing Skinny Dipping related things all week? Yep, yep.

DIGITAL MARKETING: This class was almost the end of me - we had to make a TikTok for our homework. I deleted the app as soon as I finished the assignment because of how stressful it was. Anyway, we had to research an organisation's digital marketing skills and discuss it in a TikTok. I opted for Ten Foundations as I had the time in the afternoon to take videos and photos for the explanations.

DEVELOPING A MARKETING CAMPAIGN: This is one of our exam classes and we looked at how we are going to develop a campaign for a made-up business in the exam. We very briefly touched on the theory part and had a lot of discussions than actual written work.

PERSONAL AND BUSINESS FINANCE: Our second exam class, we touched on an introduction to money and how personal finance works. Turns out my tutor had drinks with Slash on a cruise.

EXPLORING BUSINESS: Theory, theory and nothing but theory. This class is designed to support the other classes and give us our background knowledge.

INVESTIGATING CUSTOMER SERVICE: The final class of the week, we very briefly looked at what customer service is and how it works. Moved into working in groups to come up with an event and apply customer service through that.

Have I done anything else this week? Hmm I don't think so really, it's just been a dull and rainy September week. Have you guys been doing much?

TAGS:

Immortal-Reaper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They all sound so interesting! I get what you mean though with being overwhelmed and satisfied with your lessons 🙂
sadforsadboys
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
UPDATE 6 - KIDS IN THE DARK

Big announcement of the week is that I have found a bus that won't take me an hour to get into Belfast! I leave my house at 0725 and don't get into college until around 0858 if I take a certain bus service, but this new one means that while I do still leave my house at 0725, I can get into college for about 0838 (ideally it would be earlier but the bus that brings everyone over to college doesn't start its every-10-minutes service until 0830)!

Academics wise, just more content in class. I mean that's what college is, classes with content. We had a sustainability talk that I zoned out of on Wednesday. Maybe I should write things down.

Outside of academics, I've just been volunteering as normal. I volunteered for 3 hours on Monday, 2 and a half hours on Wednesday, 5 hours on Thursday and I'm going in again today for about 4 hours. I usually bring my iPad with me so I can do my coursework and work the tills, so far so good. I'm using Ten Foundations as one of my focus companies for my work so it works hand-in-hand.
(This is the only gif to possibly describe how I felt when I realised it was Monday)

DIGITAL MARKETING: The focus of this week's class was more to do with the use of digital marketing as an extension to traditional marketing. 7Ps, promotional mix, that sort of stuff.

DEVELOPING A MARKETING CAMPAIGN: Over the two days we went through about 200 slides of content at quite a fast pace. This was more to do with the fundamentals of developing our campaigns. Aims and objectives, colour, taglines, marketing things. We also got kicked out of our classroom because of a scheduling conflict so that's fun.

PERSONAL AND BUSINESS FINANCE: If I'm honest I remember nothing other than filling out a piece of paper with what our income is and how we spend our money.

EXPLORING BUSINESS: The lesson was focused heavily on setting up our research documents and discussing stakeholders. It was awful cold too.

INVESTIGATING CUSTOMER SERVICE: Giiiiiiirl. We worked in pairs to discuss how we would deal with certain scenarios. The class is far too short tbh, or maybe our other classes are too long?

I'm behind on everyone else's blogs, I'll catch up some point.

TAGS:
sadforsadboys
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
UPDATE 7 - DEFLATION

It appears that I have caught the back to school stomach ache. I'm certainly not the only one in my class who's been hit one way or another. Ah the new academic year, you're a delight to us all.
Oh and you know the way people can be "snakey"? I witnessed this second-hand this week and the second hand embarrassment is real 😀

DIGITAL MARKETING: We looked over trends and how they can affect a given marketing segment.

DEVELOPING A MARKETING CAMPAIGN: Our Tuesday lesson was combined with the other class due to our tutor being out. We worked in teams on a research project. We had to decide if it was viable to open a coffee shop in the college campus, accessing competition and stuff like that. Thursday we focused on trying to develop our exam skills, going through a booklet in groups to analyse data and interpret them according to how it would apply to the business in the given scenario.

PERSONAL AND BUSINESS FINANCE: This lesson was mostly us taking the piss really. We had a class discussion on things like credit, getting a mortgage, borrowing money with interest on top and one of my classmates ended up signing up to a credit card to build his credit score back up.

EXPLORING BUSINESS: This class was just us filling out our stakeholders tables. I don't think we did much else.

INVESTIGATING CUSTOMER SERVICE: This one was a little different. My tutor had a meeting so we got sent to the library to work on a table about accessibility of different businesses. All bar one actually accommodate people who need extra help.

TAGS:

flaurie
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yay for finding a better bus :woohoo: hope you feel better soon :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.84%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.18%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.01%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.4%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.73%

Watched Threads