The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2022 Entry - Reapplicants' Thread

Welcome to the Dentistry 2022 Entry Reapplicants' discussion thread. This thread is specifically for applicants who are reapplying again for 2022 entry after not securing an offer for previous entry.

Useful links:

Undergraduate Dentistry 2022 entry thread: Official Dentistry 2022 Applicants' Thread! - The Student Room

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

TSR Dentistry Wiki: Dentistry - The Student Room

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

General TSR Rules:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I got my results today and it was a nightmare. I did Biology, Chemistry and Maths and got CBB, which was so shocking because I was getting As throughout year 12 and 13. I have appealed them all, and will be waiting for a response. Let's say they do nothing about it; and I need at least 3 A's to get into dental school, is it worth doing them all in November? Or should I do the 2 easiest ones in November then the hardest in the summer of next year? I'm really stressed because I also have a UCAT test to revise for in mid-September as well, and I have a question to how Uni's will look at my application- since the deadline for dentistry on UCAS is October 15th, I have a bad feeling that even if I get an excellent score in my UCAT they would look at my grades that I got originally and reject me straight away. I just need advice from anyone in this stressful time, thanks.
Original post by km9422
Hi, I got my results today and it was a nightmare. I did Biology, Chemistry and Maths and got CBB, which was so shocking because I was getting As throughout year 12 and 13. I have appealed them all, and will be waiting for a response. Let's say they do nothing about it; and I need at least 3 A's to get into dental school, is it worth doing them all in November? Or should I do the 2 easiest ones in November then the hardest in the summer of next year? I'm really stressed because I also have a UCAT test to revise for in mid-September as well, and I have a question to how Uni's will look at my application- since the deadline for dentistry on UCAS is October 15th, I have a bad feeling that even if I get an excellent score in my UCAT they would look at my grades that I got originally and reject me straight away. I just need advice from anyone in this stressful time, thanks.

It’s best to try to sit them all in November if you can, simply because some universities do not view the November sit as a “resit” whilst some universities view the Summer exams as a resit. Of course it’s best to contact dental schools to confirm what their resit policy is regarding November/Summer exams, but for now, it’s safest to go for the autumn exams for every subject (as they may take a while to get back to you).

It’s understandably a very stressful situation to be in, but at this point in time, you need to refresh what you’ve learnt rather than learn everything from scratch, so try and practice some past papers and go over any key topics which are particularly challenging. Take it one step at a time.

Regarding your application, universities understand that no one has sat any exams at this point, so if your predictions are AAA, they will go based off of that. The more difficult thing for you to do is to convince your teachers to predict you AAA in the first instance.

:ta:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
I got A level CAGs A*AC (French, Biol, Chem) in 2020, redid Chem and got a TAG A* this year. Does anyone know if KCL is accepting this or are they counting it as a resit? And any general advice about applying? I was rejected from all 4 last year, but got an average UCAT which I am pretty sure I'm on track to massively improve on.

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by GordonJ
I got A level CAGs A*AC (French, Biol, Chem) in 2020, redid Chem and got a TAG A* this year. Does anyone know if KCL is accepting this or are they counting it as a resit? And any general advice about applying? I was rejected from all 4 last year, but got an average UCAT which I am pretty sure I'm on track to massively improve on.

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, please send an email to them ASAP. I felt so disheartened after receiving my A-level results this year until I emailed all the dental schools asking them if they accepted summer 2022 resits. They were very helpful and now I am hopeful for getting into university next year. So please ask KCL so you know what to do. Furthermore, for the UCAT situation, what I did was aim for 700-750, which caused me to work as best I can, so even if you come out with 650-680, that is a competitive score. Even then, I know people who got rejected with a score of 650 band 1 etc. Just aim and work hard and you will be fine
is UCAT or BMAT harder? Can someone tell me more about the BMAT? Also, would it be difficult considering I advent taken Maths or physics for A level? I am currently planning to take a year, my UCAT was bad and so am considering BMAT
Original post by km9422
Hi,

Firstly, please send an email to them ASAP. I felt so disheartened after receiving my A-level results this year until I emailed all the dental schools asking them if they accepted summer 2022 resits. They were very helpful and now I am hopeful for getting into university next year. So please ask KCL so you know what to do. Furthermore, for the UCAT situation, what I did was aim for 700-750, which caused me to work as best I can, so even if you come out with 650-680, that is a competitive score. Even then, I know people who got rejected with a score of 650 band 1 etc. Just aim and work hard and you will be fine

where did you contact KCL on?
Hi,

Does anyone know what unis have said they are accepting summer resits for the 2022 entry?
Reply 8
Original post by Hamza1111
Hi,

Does anyone know what unis have said they are accepting summer resits for the 2022 entry?

I emailed a few unis that have got back to me, and the ones that have are : Cardiff, Glasgow and Newcastle saying yes
Plymouth yet to come back to me.

University of Birmingham so far have said on their university website:

We will accept a new application for a place if you have not applied before and wish to take the autumn exams. You must have a minimum assessed grade profile of ABB and you will then be expected to meet AAA in full in the exams (which can be combination of grades from exams or assessed grades already awarded). The requirement to sit the UCAT test is required as well as attend an interview if selected, as per all other applicants.

We will accept any 2021 Dentistry offer holders who wish to take an exam in one or more subject on the basis that you reapply for 2022 entry, notifying us that you were a previous 2021 offer holder. If you achieve AAA, then your place will be confirmed at that point.

I hope this answers most of your question.
so Birmingham doesn't accept summer results or reapplications?
Original post by km9422
Hi,

which schools will accept the Summer resits ?
Is it true that the university of Birmingham does not look at GCSEs if you have achieved a level grades
@mesopotamia do you know which schools accept reapplicants if they didn’t apply last year. I am not resitting anything just reapplying.
does Leeds hold your offer if you're resitting?
Original post by HaruhiSuoh
@mesopotamia do you know which schools accept reapplicants if they didn’t apply last year. I am not resitting anything just reapplying.

Most unis as far as I’m aware, allow you to reapply. I had an interview at Bristol last year and was rejected post interview and I’m reapplying to them. They personally told me I was allowed to do so. I’ll also be reapplying to Kings after being rejected post interview too.
Original post by DrSmile
Most unis as far as I’m aware, allow you to reapply. I had an interview at Bristol last year and was rejected post interview and I’m reapplying to them. They personally told me I was allowed to do so. I’ll also be reapplying to Kings after being rejected post interview too.

The thing is that I didn’t apply to Bristol last year and some unis don’t let you reapply unless you applied last year
Original post by DrSmile

The thing is that I didn’t apply to Bristol last year and some unis don’t let you reapply unless you applied last year

Could you please name some unis you know/heard of which follows this rule?
Original post by Dentchan
Could you please name some unis you know/heard of which follows this rule?

I’ve only heard that QUB and QMUL, none which I’ve confirmed myself just what I’ve heard on these forums
I’ve only heard that QUB and QMUL, none which I’ve confirmed myself just what I’ve heard on these forums

I would advise you to look at these dental school websites and have a read of their admissions policy documents. There are some schools that have rules on who can reapply but can’t remember which - the information is all available on their websites however. Don’t base your application on heresay.

Quick Reply

Latest