The Student Room Group

dropping out subject

I have taken 5 a level subject (Phy ,Chem, CS, Math ,EGP) which subject should i drop out in A2 level for Computer Sc streams ? and if i drop out one will it hamper for my uni?
(edited 2 years ago)
Have you actually looked at the requited subjects for a range of CS degrees?

Btw, no-one needs FIVE A levels. UK Unis do not require more than 3 and taking extra subjects gets you no advantage.
If anything, you risk weaker grades across all your subjects - AAA will always look better than ABBBB
Reply 2
Thanks for your information
Original post by akarajib
I have taken 5 a level subject (Phy ,Chem, CS, Math ,EGP) which subject should i drop out in A2 level for Computer Sc streams ? and if i drop out one will it hamper for my uni?

You sound super smart to be doing 5 A-Levels but as the previous person said, you really don't need that many!

As long as you have two or three that are solid A*A*A*, AAA, AAB, ABB you'll get into most high-ranking unis or Russell groups. I got into UCL with only two A-Levels at A and A* so... don't worry!
Reply 4
Original post by Georgia Jayy
You sound super smart to be doing 5 A-Levels but as the previous person said, you really don't need that many!

As long as you have two or three that are solid A*A*A*, AAA, AAB, ABB you'll get into most high-ranking unis or Russell groups. I got into UCL with only two A-Levels at A and A* so... don't worry!

Thanks a lot
What is "EGP"?

As above, UK unis only require 3 A-levels for entry, and taking additional A-levels confers no benefit - universities do not award "bonus points" for taking more than 3 A-levels (except one medical school but that's irrelevant for your purposes).

The normal expectation is 3 A-levels and so I would suggest you stick with that, so you can focus your studies on just those 3 subjects to ensure you get the best grades possible. While the above poster did get into uni with just 2 A-levels this is very unusual and I would not recommend taking fewer than 3.

If you are planning to study CS at uni the most important subject usually will be A-level Maths. Other than that it's up to you - continuing with physics and chemistry does give you more options if you change your mind though.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
What is "EGP"?

As above, UK unis only require 3 A-levels for entry, and taking additional A-levels confers no benefit - universities do not award "bonus points" for taking more than 3 A-levels (except one medical school but that's irrelevant for your purposes).

The normal expectation is 3 A-levels and so I would suggest you stick with that, so you can focus your studies on just those 3 subjects to ensure you get the best grades possible. While the above poster did get into uni with just 2 A-levels this is very unusual and I would not recommend taking fewer than 3.

If you are planning to study CS at uni the most important subject usually will be A-level Maths. Other than that it's up to you - continuing with physics and chemistry does give you more options if you change your mind though.

Thanks man
Egp (english general paper)
Thanks man
Egp (english general paper)

Thanks for clarifying - that seems to be equivalent to general studies here (not even sure it exists anymore), which for reference is not normally considered by universities when making an offer. So that is a very easy one to drop because it confers no benefit whatsoever! :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks for clarifying - that seems to be equivalent to general studies here (not even sure it exists anymore), which for reference is not normally considered by universities when making an offer. So that is a very easy one to drop because it confers no benefit whatsoever! :smile:

Thanks but this subject is compulsory in my region
Thanks but this subject is compulsory in my region

Ah, that is unfortunate, although perhaps not unsurprising - I think general studies was compulsory for many students in the UK for a long time as well!

If you can't drop that one then I would suggest making sure you take at least three other subjects alongside it. Because usually general studies (and hence I think the general paper) is not acceptable by UK universities for meeting a 3 A-level offer.

Also to answer your original question, dropping one subject (provided you have at least three subjects other than the general paper) will not affect university applications provided you drop it before submitting those. If you submit your application with all subjects listed then drop one afterwards, this may affect things as you would then need to contact each university you applied to individually to inform them of the chance, and it may nullify any offers made to you by then - so definitely drop it before you submit your UCAS application and make sure your UCAS application reflects just the subjects you are taking for exam (if you earned an AS level in the dropped subject you will need to list that however).
Reply 10
Ah, that is unfortunate, although perhaps not unsurprising - I think general studies was compulsory for many students in the UK for a long time as well!

If you can't drop that one then I would suggest making sure you take at least three other subjects alongside it. Because usually general studies (and hence I think the general paper) is not acceptable by UK universities for meeting a 3 A-level offer.

Also to answer your original question, dropping one subject (provided you have at least three subjects other than the general paper) will not affect university applications provided you drop it before submitting those. If you submit your application with all subjects listed then drop one afterwards, this may affect things as you would then need to contact each university you applied to individually to inform them of the chance, and it may nullify any offers made to you by then - so definitely drop it before you submit your UCAS application and make sure your UCAS application reflects just the subjects you are taking for exam (if you earned an AS level in the dropped subject you will need to list that however).

Thanks a lot for your kind information
I will surely look at these process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending