rjgekgr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to do history at Cambridge but am worried about my grades...

For GCSE I got 9999877777 and am predicted A*AA

I know my predicted are good but am not sure about my GCSEs. Also, I recently went to a talk by Cambridge uni and they said that you should be applying with higher predicted grades than that of the entry requirements (so I would need A*A*A)to make a competitive application which I obviously don't have.

Could anyone give any insight into this?? Is there any point in applying or am I just wasting my time?
Last edited by rjgekgr; 1 month ago
raquelthestudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
apply anyway, I'm sure they are more interested in the student you are now rather than the student you were a few years ago when you did your GCSEs. As long as you meet the grades and show the interest in the subject that they like to see, you might have a good enough chance of getting in. And at least if you do apply, you'll know whether or not you would've got in, otherwise you'll always be wondering. Best of luck to you.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need your predicted grades to meet the standard offer to be reasonably offered an interview - after that point the main focus will probably be the interview itself. GCSEs are not weighed especially heavily by Cambridge, and you have good GCSEs anyway generally speaking.

Since you meet the standard offer with your predicted grades (and are presumably taking A-level History), I don't see any reason to not apply. History is also not one of the especially competitive courses at Cambridge; over a third of applicants usually get offers, and of those most achieve the offers too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads