darkhorse5911
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm starting yr 11 in September and I have absolutely no clue and no motivation in getting prepared for my exams. I want to get at least a grade 7 in my GCSE's but I don't where to start or which revision method would work the best for me, like I see others with flashcards and notes but i don't think it will help.
Ice.Log
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by darkhorse5911)
I'm starting yr 11 in September and I have absolutely no clue and no motivation in getting prepared for my exams. I want to get at least a grade 7 in my GCSE's but I don't where to start or which revision method would work the best for me, like I see others with flashcards and notes but i don't think it will help.
Active recall and spaced repetition is key! I'll only be giving advice for subjects I did well in.

Sciences - I used Seneca to learn the content and freesciencelessons for practicals only, then I read the textbook page once or twice and did lots of practice questions (helped me get 7-9s throughout the year, and straight 9s towards the end). Class notes should suffice so don't make more - it's useless.

Maths - I used Mathswatch or Corbett maths if i didn't understand the content, then did pages of practice questions in class and on a daily basis (got me >92% in every exam since Year 10).

Geography - I used physics and maths tutor notes, seneca and practice questions - made flashcards on case studies and if I got bored, watched a geography documentary to jog my interest and extra knowledge.

Religious Studies - I summarised the chapter contents in a page, then linked its topics to others. I also picked out many quotes to learn and did practice questions every week since I struggled initially (went from 3/5s to 8 in my mocks). Tbh I feel like this is the subject where making notes can be more beneficial, but don't put off flashcards and past papers to make "neater notes".

Not a TSR genius but hope this helps in a way. I also recommend the pomodoro timer if you're starting to study as it helped me be consistent and study for hours with breaks.

For motivation, think of what you want for the future and why you're studying. E.g You want to study x at uni, and the course is competitive - you must have good GCSEs and A-levels, especially in subjects y, z and n. To progress onto a-levels, you need good gcses.
salearning
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds exactly like a situation I had with German. Beginning of year 11 was the time I started LEARNING German, not preparing for exams. I ended up going from grade 1 or 2 to 9 in my GCSEs. What helped me get on track there was Duolingo xD.

I was also a school failure in general before year 10, grades Us for some subjects, maximum was a 5. I decided to turn this around one day and it paid off. I got all nine 9s and one 8 for my GCSEs (the 8 i was really upset about btw). Not knowing where to begin can be quite daunting, but it is a matter of starting to learn something and getting your first success. As soon as you see positive results, you will get in the game. Thats what I found helpful personally. Just start learning a topic, do well in your class test or something, see the positive result, boost your confidence and you will see that you dont want to get bad scores again.

It is also important to note that revising 24/7 is not the way. I never did that, I want to have a life. Smart learning and efficient time management is the key. Teachers and private tutors can also help guide you, I had a private tutor for history and it was really helpful. I myself currently offer tutoring, feel free to contact me if you would be interested, I could advise you more for free if you'd like to know how I went from 2s and 3s to nearly all 9s.
Aserace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by darkhorse5911)
Ok, so first of all you need to relax. It is the summer holidays right now so take advantage of it. Organise your subjects and topics together, perhaps in folders. Skim through topics of your choice and mark them red or green, (I don't remember, I remember). Spend 30 mins on the ones you don't remember. I recommend scanning the topic page and then writing down everything your retained on a blank sheet f paper. in terms of motivation, well, think about the future. if you work hard now, it will pay off. you can get a nice house etc. when your children ask for something, you can provide. This has been my motivation and i'm currently working towards all 9s in my GCSEs. Start now and you will be so happy later, trust me. Im in the same year as you haha.
Flk10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My advice would be to get into a good study routine right from the start of year 11- I’d say you should be doing 2 hours of work a night (homework and revision) from day 1.

This will eventually just become part of your routine if you stay disciplined and push through it. Discipline is far better than motivation!

I would also set an ambitious goal for the year- ie all 9s. This will help you to push yourself and keep disciplined.

You don’t need to revise 24/7 from September. But I would advise you to really focus on your studies for say the 4 weeks before mocks and exams.

During this time, I would get rid of all distractions (phone, Netflix etc) and really push yourself to study as hard as you can. I would aim to do at least 4 hours revision on a school night and 10 hours a day at weekends/holidays during these periods. Hard work pays off!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed