The Student Room Group

#YourPathYourFuture - Share Your Experience!

Hi everyone :hi:

Results day is coming up again - and I'd like to quickly emphasize the word 'again'. I'm sure those of you who are anxiously or excitedly awaiting your results are probably a little on edge right now, but it's super important to remember that results day comes every year and it ISN'T THE BE ALL END ALL. Everyone gets results, everyone has some kind of future. It might not be the one you planned, but you have to remember that there will be a future for your regardless. :yep:

Parmezanne's Experience

At the end of the day, they're just degrees. Do what you love and what you're good at, even if it's not 'what you SHOULD do'. :smile:

Have you experienced something similar? Ever felt confused, excited or disappointed in how Results Day or deciding your future went for you? Share your story below!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You can find out more about #YourPathYourFuture by clicking the image below
Random story here but my GCSE results meant I couldn't take Maths A-Level as originally planned. I ended up doing Government & Politics in its place and ended up loving it, despite it not being what I had my heart set on for so long. Sometimes, certain obstacles are thrown in our way just to show us the path meant for us. :heart:
Original post by RazzzBerries
Random story here but my GCSE results meant I couldn't take Maths A-Level as originally planned. I ended up doing Government & Politics in its place and ended up loving it, despite it not being what I had my heart set on for so long. Sometimes, certain obstacles are thrown in our way just to show us the path meant for us. :heart:

I absolutely believe in that. Everything happens for a reason and you might have felt during the year that 'actually, i wouldn't have enjoyed that' or 'I'm not sure I could manage the workload / difficulty'. I'm so glad it worked out for you! Sending you positive energy for results :yep:
Original post by parmezanne

Results day is coming up again - and I'd like to quickly emphasize the word 'again'. I'm sure those of you who are anxiously or excitedly awaiting your results are probably a little on edge right now, but it's super important to remember that results day comes every year and it ISN'T THE BE ALL END ALL. Everyone gets results, everyone has some kind of future. It might not be the one you planned, but you have to remember that there will be a future for your regardless. :yep:

Parmezanne's Experience

At the end of the day, they're just degrees. Do what you love and what you're good at, even if it's not 'what you SHOULD do'. :smile:

Have you experienced something similar? Ever felt confused, excited or disappointed in how Results Day or deciding your future went for you? Share your story below!

I did fairly well in my GCSE's and A levels. I was never one for studying so I took a gap year to have fun and save up some money. I was still unsure about going to uni but thought I'd take the plunge. Everything changed when went on to study Law at university. I realised it wasn't what I expected! 3 months in, I decided to change my course to Sociology. My feelings hadn't changed and I still wasn't enjoying the course.

I realised that university wasn't for me and after a lot of thought, I decided to leave altogether. I didn't have a set plan and I was terrified, I continued working as a waitress and realised I had a passion for helping people so ended up working in health and social care for years before moving into a career in education. I also spent lots of time volunteering and gaining experiencing that way.

I have always loved working and loved the jobs I've had over the years. It's given me so much valuable experience that I've always appreciated and it's got me to where I am today.

There's so many options out there, I took the path that was best for me and my future and I haven't looked back :heart:
(edited 2 years ago)

Parmezanne's Experience

Thanks for setting this up :heart:

I actually missed my grades on results day - I got BBB and I needed AAB to go to the uni I wanted to go to. I was devastated! I also didn't get into my insurance, so I started looking at Clearing. After getting a few offers and even visiting somewhere, I realised none of these unis were right for me and my heart was still with my firm choice. I decided to take a gap year, redo some exams and apply again the following year. I think I cried for about a week, and watching all my friends go to uni that year was hard, I'm not going to lie.

However, I managed to get a good job in my gap year that really boosted my CV, went interrailing with a friend who I had lost touch with who was also on an unexpected gap year, redo the modules I needed to and save a load of money for uni that year. There were really good times and not so good times during this year, but my goal of going to my firm uni was always in my sights. When I got in the following results day I was so happy I burst into tears!

I am so, so grateful for this unexpected detour in my plans. If I hadn't gone to uni when I had, I would have never of met some of my best friends in the world, had the experiences I did and be having the same life I have now - which I wouldn't change for the world. Never feel like because things haven't gone to plan everything is over - it's not, the universe has something even better waiting round the corner, even if it takes a while to get there.

I know these last 18 months have been awful, but I'm so proud of you all. The resilience you've shown is outstanding and you've never given up, even when it got really tough. Good luck to all of you - and remember, we're all here to support you here on TSR :hugs:
My tale has something to say about university "reputation". It involves four universities, two courses and one bout of unconsciousness. It’s a long one, so strap yourselves in.

By TSR standards I got slightly above average GCSE Results, but phenomenal for my school. During my A Levels I was pursuing university applications. I applied for Education and History at 4 universities: Durham, Newcastle, Birmingham, Keele; and I applied for Education Studies at Cambridge. Cambridge had ran my primary choice "Education and History", and had just decided to end that offering - starting with my cohort.

I applied to Cambridge anyway, by the time I discovered this (on the uni open day) I decided it was too late for me to research for more universities. I ended up with 5 offers, including from Cambridge. I was the first person in my school to receive an offer from Oxford or Cambridge for 32 years. I'm still immensely proud of that; even if what followed wasn't exactly to script. By the spring I had choices to make - who would be my firm and insurance university?

Because the course wasn’t the right one for me - I wanted the Education and History combined honours - I rejected my Cambridge offer. I firmed Durham on AAB. Birmingham and Newcastle were the same offer (AAB for both) so having those as insurance choices were little use. Keele was my insurance at BBB/ABC. Results day came and I was very glad to have rejected Cambridge. I got ABC after a shock C result in my English Lit A Level. I had expected higher. C is a fantastic grade and I am not demeaning it by any stretch, but I had been predicted A*AA in this A Level series. The school’s entire English results had been downgraded by a senior external examiner.

So where did this leave me for unis? Durham had not rejected me, but they had not accepted me either. Durham had not made a decision and would not answer the phone either. It was only by posting on thestudentroom that I found out it could be a week until I found out. The uncertainty was more devastating than the end result - which was that they eventually rejected me. The English result was put in for a remark too, but no change and a month after results day I finally knew that Keele was my destination.

I really enjoyed my time at Keele, spent 3 years there and the pastoral support on offer was solid. I volunteered a lot, perhaps a tad too much and that meant my results suffered a little (second year was particularly bad). But covid restrictions meant I had to knuckle down in third year - and pulled out a 2:1 in the end.

Next stop for me was a PGCE in History. Not at Keele, but at a Russell Group university in England. Which will remain nameless. It was a strange year to train to teach in - you can be sure of that. After Christmas, schools went into lockdown and I began to teach online to my pupils - from my bedroom in university halls. During early February I became very ill and one day, my partner and my parents could not get into contact with me all day. They contacted the university half way through the day and they did nothing. After 6 hours of contacting the university, staff finally came through my door to find me unconscious. The staff knew I’d been ill the previous day, they knew all the context that should have led to a room entry but didn’t for 6 hours.

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when the paramedics arrived, who found me in a diabetic coma (Diabetic Ketoacidosis). According to the blood test at the time, I was very close to organ failure, and if left long enough - this could have been a fatality. I got better, recovered after a week in hospital. And I began finding out from the university what actually happened. After an official complaint, the university defended the decision to not enter my room until 6 hours after my loved ones began to raise the alarm with them. After a second official complaint, knowing that this was close to a fatality, the head of student services defended the decision by their colleagues to leave a student in that state of illness. Not even conceding that in hindsight they should have investigated earlier.

Angry, I completed my training year and am now moved to a new city with my partner. I’m happy, we’re happy. But the point of the story is that traditional university reputation doesn’t mean happiness and it doesn’t mean safety either.
I got fairly good grades at GCSE and A-level, but I never really had a plan or knew what I wanted to do in the future. Instead, I chose subjects that I was good at and enjoyed the most.

Still not really knowing what I wanted to do, I ended up going to University of Sussex to study media and communications. I got involved with different media-based societies at uni, and I particularly enjoyed presenting radio shows and working on the uni paper.

One of the great things about Sussex (and one of the main reasons I went) was their First-Generation Scholarship I got a lot of financial help as well as the opportunity to gain work experience through a summer internship after my second year. Funnily enough, I did my internship at TSR.

Looking back, the subjects I studied definitely developed the skills I use in my job now, even though I didn’t necessarily have a career in mind when I chose them. I think if you study things you’re interested in then opportunities will naturally present themselves later on. There’s no rush!
Original post by Vic Vinegar
Funnily enough, I did my internship at TSR.

I remember - welcome back. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I remember - welcome back. :smile:

Haha, thank you! :smile:

Parmezanne's Experience

A different path

I did really well in my GCSE's even scoring one of the highest marks in the county for Business Studies and I loved my secondary school. Onto college I went studying 4 A-Levels alongside a part time job as receptionist at the local leisure centre and a weekend role at the local football club! I didn't realise it then but realistically it was too much and it diverted my attention from my A-Levels.

The college I went to was nothing like my secondary school. It was very relaxed, lacked any real form of governance and it often felt like a lot of the tutors would rather be anywhere but there. It was easy to sign in and then head off to do an extra shift at the leisure centre almost un-noticed. I always wonder what my path would have looked like if my secondary school had, had a 6th form at the time.

To be honest it is a miracle that I got A-Levels but my results were really poor and reflected the effort I had put into my studies. I was pretty disengaged though by this point and in Ibiza on results day!! I had already decided that I was going to take a year out, then look to retake and head to Cardiff to study Law and this remained the plan.

I secured a full time job working as a secretary for a marketing agency in the interim but it was at that point that the original plan changed. Within 6 months I had my first promotion. I was working in the world of sports marketing for the League Cup travelling the country and having the BEST time whilst being paid. I put the uni dream on hold for another year still keeping it somewhere in my mind. Another promotion, a diploma completed in sales promotion and marketing and then I met my (now) husband.

Long story short I now have a 22 year career in Marketing (that makes me feel very old :smile:). I have worked really hard, been privileged to work with some of the biggest brands in the World and even spent the last 6 years heading the Student Marketing team at a University (still makes me chuckle as I never went to University myself yet passionately wanted to create authentic marketing content to encourage students to go). Academically I have always looked for ways to enrich my real work experience and have completed various diplomas in my time - I even did one whilst on maternity leave with my son.

I've experienced the high of getting incredible results and the real low (although the 18 year old me was totally defiant) of not getting the results I knew I was capable of. Having a supportive family and network of peers were the key to getting through both. Keeping me grounded and realistic yet making me remember that the results didn't define me or what I could go on to achieve.

So whilst I never followed the path I always thought I would take I will never regret the one I took! I owned my first home a month before my 21st birthday, I've worked from the bottom up and met some incredible people along the way who are now friends for life and I've had hands on experience that can't be taught. Having said all of that will I encourage my children to go to University if they want to ..... ABSOLUTELY! But if they choose another path then that's also ok with me. Happiness is always the most important thing.

Sending you all best wishes and support for next week :suith:

#YourPathYourFuture

Parmezanne's Experience

I absolutely love this thread. I'll be back to post my journey for sure. :smile:
Here is my path :h: I don’t really talk about my education much as its a little long to explain but nevermind :colondollar: here it is

After finishing GCSES’s (which are sub/under par for tsr standards :lol: ) I went to the sixth form attached to my secondary school I thought it was the right place for me to do further education because I’d always wanted to go there since I was in year 7 + it was fairly local, I knew the teachers etc etc. Long story short it really wasn’t the right place for me, eventually as the term went on even walking into the building made me anxious. I spent 1 year there retaking my maths GCSE as I was 3 marks off a C alongside 3 A Level subjects which I realised I absolutely hated and loathed around January / February. The only talk amongst everyone was university and the EPQ and if you wanted to go to uni or not which totally freaked me out as I didn’t feel ready to go then. As the year went on I knew I not only hated 6th form but I didn’t really know what I wanted. It didn’t help I had a undiagnosed health problem at that time which was making me feel tired, exhausted, and depressed (that’s being managed now though :smile: ).

Eventually I went to another nearby college and did the same course as one of my close friends. I quit 6th form *kinda* - I passed the maths gcse and my old head of sixth form somehow arranged for me to still sit the AS exams (back when you could still get a half qualification). As the level 2 and 3 courses were coursework and more vocational it suited me better and I enjoyed it more, it also helped the environment was more relaxed. Since the course required work experience to pass I also got some good work experience in, and managed to get a job working in a kitchen for a few years until the place I worked for went bust because of covid and the pandemic.

After my old workplace went bust (thanks employer for not warning us and alerting us at 2:30AM :rolleyes: ). I decided to go and study the subject I really loved - I did have to do a foundation year for it which has helped me no end, the foundation year was a helpful introduction to university work like assignments and practicals and it was v interesting :yep: - In this last year I also found out I’m dyspraxic which has helped me get more study support and software for my laptop to help me with my studies in place for when I start the first year of my Food Science degree which I’m starting properly in September :yeah:

Whatever path you take there really is no wrong direction or route as long as you feel happy and want to do it :grouphugs:
Good luck everyone who are getting results next week :h:
(edited 2 years ago)
I was going to do a BETC in surfing when I finished GCSEs, didn't think school was for me!

Some reason ended up at sixth form instead, fell in love with psychology and learning (outside of the context of GCSE subjects) and got A*A*A*Aa with a scholarship to UCL.

Then mental health hit and ended up in hospital about 12 times in first 2 years there. Was on track for worse degree they've probably got in my department so they tried to kick me out (in a not so overt manner - long story....)

I kindly told them to **** off and will continue with my degree. Ended with a 2.2 (which is probably my greatest and worst academic achievement)

I am now a third year PhD student!

I think my story covers most bases :biggrin:
Don't think I've shared in a couple of years - and as always the journey continues.

I went to secondary school in the 00s. I dropped out of school with two Cs at Scottish Higher in Computing and English. That was it. I spent 2010-2012 at a further education college where I fell in love with Media Studies (the only A I ever got at Higher!) and decided to pursue HND Media and Communication after this. I then gained third year entry into a Screenwriting and Filmmaking degree in 2014, but took a break halfway through Honours year due to struggling with severe anxiety and depression.

Then, in January 2016, I bought a fish on a whim. His name was Roan.

Roan changed my life.

Yes, I'm really serious.

I became fascinated with everything relating to fish: their diseases and how the medicines worked to treat them, water chemistry, etc. I decided I wanted to pursue marine biology. I dropped out of my screenwriting degree and applied to five colleges before one was willing to take me on with no background in the sciences beyond a very low grade in Standard Grade Chemistry back in 2008. Due to having an existing three-year degree that one college let me skip ahead two years so I was enrolled directly into a HNC in Applied Science. That's how, at 24, I spent a year in a class with mostly 17-18yos. I received multiple offers for BSc Marine Biology, but didn't make the offer for my dream school and didn't want to move to attend my insurance, so I asked the university to withdraw the offer and instead called up a university closer to home to apply for Zoology in clearing. Then I changed my mind while the phone was ringing and instead applied for second year entry into BSc Biomedical Science and was accepted. This was in August 2017.

Fast forward to today. I submitted my dissertation on Monday of this week and presented my research on Wednesday. I never completed my Honours project in my first degree, and my anxiety was so bad I could barely speak in public, but somehow I managed to present my scientific findings in front of classmates and lecture staff with PhDs. As for my dissertation itself - my supervisor thinks it's valuable information and that it should be published. I am guaranteed at least a 2:1. I have also come out of this degree with the experience of having worked a year in industry in a molecular biology laboratory at a biotechnology company. Next month I begin an MSc in Infection Biology - at that very same dream university I failed to get into in 2017.

I'm 29, for the record. Still in education but still going strong. We all work through education at our own pace - and I have gotten lost going around in circles a few times but I have loved everything I've learned. Also, I'm in talks with an agent to get the debut novel in my fantasy series published, so my screenwriting degree hasn't entirely gone to waste either! #YourPathYourFuture.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sinfonietta
Don't think I've shared in a couple of years - and as always the journey continues.

I went to secondary school in the 00s. I dropped out of school with two Cs at Scottish Higher in Computing and English. That was it. I spent 2010-2012 at a further education college where I fell in love with Media Studies (the only A I ever got at Higher!) and decided to pursue HND Media and Communication after this. I then gained third year entry into a Screenwriting and Filmmaking degree in 2014, but took a break halfway through Honours year due to struggling with severe anxiety and depression.

Then, in January 2016, I bought a fish on a whim. His name was Roan.

Roan changed my life.

Yes, I'm really serious.

I became fascinated with anything relating to fish: their diseases and how the medicines worked to treat them, water chemistry, etc. I decided I wanted to pursue marine biology. I dropped out of my screenwriting degree and applied to five colleges before one was willing to take me on with no background in the sciences beyond a very low grade in Standard Grade Chemistry back in 2008. However, one college was prepared to take a chance on me. Due to having an existing three-year degree they let me skip ahead two years so I was enrolled directly into a HNC in Applied Science. That's how, at 24, I spent a year in a class with mostly 17-18yos. I received multiple offers for BSc Marine Biology, but didn't make the offer for my dream school and decided I didn't want to attend any of the others either, so I withdrew and called up a university closer to home to apply for Bioscience and Zoology in clearing. Then I changed my mind while the phone was ringing and instead applied for BSc Biomedical Science and was accepted. This was in August 2017.

Fast forward to today. I submitted my dissertation on Monday of this week and presented my research on Wednesday. I never completed my Honours project in my first degree, and my anxiety was so bad I could barely speak in public, but somehow I managed to present my scientific findings in front of classmates and lecture staff with PhDs. As for my dissertation itself - my supervisor thinks it's valuable information and thinks it should be published. I am guaranteed at least a 2:1. I have also come out of this degree with the experience of having worked a year in industry in a molecular biology laboratory at a biotechnology company. Next month I begin an MSc Infection Biology - at that very same dream university I failed to get into in 2017.

I'm 29, for the record. Still in education but still going strong. We all work through education at our own pace - and I have gotten lost going around in circles a few times but I have loved everything I've learned. Also, I'm working with an agent to get the debut novel in my fantasy series published, so my screenwriting degree hasn't entirely gone to waste either! #YourPathYourFuture.

This story is wonderful and I also have a passion for all things fish! :h:
Reply 16
Left school with very good GCSEs back in 2003

We were planning to move abroad so hadn't applied for college and had no intention of ever going to one

Nan got very sick, move abroad cancelled to care for her (which I did until her death 2 years into my PhD), applied to college the Friday before term

Got in, left after 3 days because I hated it. Considered my options and applied for a load of jobs, nothing was happening so I reluctantly went back to the college. Still hated it, so spent very little time there, very little time working, loads of time in the pub playing in metal bands and (at that point unsuccessfully) chasing girls

Get the results and they are predictably awful. The college made us all apply to uni even if we didn't want to go, which I obviously did not. I got into one on a course I barely cared about and lasted a couple of weeks, I think I actually went in like 3 times. Dropped out pretty much before my registration had been confirmed, took my crap A Levels, and got a job

Spent the next few years skivvying in jobs - concreting, labouring (I had been doing this since I was very young, about 13) and eventually on a dockside chemical plant

Got sick of that place, left in very bad circumstances after a period of bad illness and after going into a meeting and trying to paste my boss. Dragged out by the fitters, who told me to get my stuff and go home. Wrote '**** your job, I quit' on a torn envelope and walked out head held high

Was sick for a wee time and after that had an opportunity to work abroad, which I did for the better part of a year - bar work, door work, fitting solar panels (weird one). Came home and thought 'I need a degree if I want a job that isn't crap'. At the time I was getting into Buddhist and Hindu philosophy, so scouted aound for options that'd take me with crap A Levels

Heard a guy in a uni close by specialised in this stuff, so got in touch. yes, he did, I should appy even though y grades were nowhere near good enough etc. So I did, got in via widening participation as a mature student from a poor background, coupled with an ace reference from my old RE teacher and a good PS talking about Buddhist metaphysics

Over the ensuing 9 years I would get a first class degree, distinction at MA, highest in my cohort for both, published twice by my MA year, then a PhD

Finished that and thought eh, I quite like teaching, I'll challenge meself and do a PGCE. Went to Oxford and did that

And here we are.
Original post by gjd800
Left school with very good GCSEs back in 2003

We were planning to move abroad so hadn't applied for college and had no intention of ever going to one

Nan got very sick, move abroad cancelled to care for her (which I did until her death 2 years into my PhD), applied to college the Friday before term

Got in, left after 3 days because I hated it. Considered my options and applied for a load of jobs, nothing was happening so I reluctantly went back to the college. Still hated it, so spent very little time there, very little time working, loads of time in the pub playing in metal bands and (at that point unsuccessfully) chasing girls

Get the results and they are predictably awful. The college made us all apply to uni even if we didn't want to go, which I obviously did not. I got into one on a course I barely cared about and lasted a couple of weeks, I think I actually went in like 3 times. Dropped out pretty much before my registration had been confirmed, took my crap A Levels, and got a job

Spent the next few years skivvying in jobs - concreting, labouring (I had been doing this since I was very young, about 13) and eventually on a dockside chemical plant

Got sick of that place, left in very bad circumstances after a period of bad illness and after going into a meeting and trying to paste my boss. Dragged out by the fitters, who told me to get my stuff and go home. Wrote '**** your job, I quit' on a torn envelope and walked out head held high

Was sick for a wee time and after that had an opportunity to work abroad, which I did for the better part of a year - bar work, door work, fitting solar panels (weird one). Came home and thought 'I need a degree if I want a job that isn't crap'. At the time I was getting into Buddhist and Hindu philosophy, so scouted aound for options that'd take me with crap A Levels

Heard a guy in a uni close by specialised in this stuff, so got in touch. yes, he did, I should appy even though y grades were nowhere near good enough etc. So I did, got in via widening participation as a mature student from a poor background, coupled with an ace reference from my old RE teacher and a good PS talking about Buddhist metaphysics

Over the ensuing 9 years I would get a first class degree, distinction at MA, highest in my cohort for both, published twice by my MA year, then a PhD

Finished that and thought eh, I quite like teaching, I'll challenge meself and do a PGCE. Went to Oxford and did that

And here we are.
And you will make an inspirational teacher with all of that life experience behind you. :yep:
Reply 18
Original post by 04MR17
And you will make an inspirational teacher with all of that life experience behind you. :yep:

Hope so but I'm not that convinced :lol:
My eldest did the UNIQ summer school at oxford 2019 and loved it. Applied for the 2020 cohort for physics and did the PAT test and got to interview stage.
She didn't get in and she was really upset about it. She had her place at Lancaster sorted on an unconditional which was her next choice and she accepted and looking forward to that.

CAG came last year in August and got A*A*AA and she was awarded with an excellence award from Lancaster, which meant she had some funds for future endeavours like internships and that. As it was a covid year, come January lockdown, she was allowed back on campus due to no study space at home, something Oxford would have said no to; so her 'redirection' worked out rather well, as she would have suffered mentally studying at home.
She was also awarded an internship at the uni, something not many first years have.
Things have a way of working out in the end, so whether its not getting past that interview, or missing out on a grade, doors will open in one way or another :smile:

Latest