The Student Room Group

is it a good or bad thing if your chosen uni course isn't in clearing?

I'm applying to York for film and I got curious to see if the course was visible in clearing. It is not, so does that mean they've filled/oversubbed the course with everyone who's currently got an offer?
And if I'm say 1 grade below the requirements, is there less of a chance I will still be able to get in?
It doesnt mean anything significant.

Until Results Day, Universities wont know for certain how many vacancies they actually have - although many lower Unis will already 'know' that specific courses will be in Clearing simply because they have not made enough offers/didnt get enough Firm choices etc. Others will be either playing the long game and not admitting this for reputational reasons.

Universities have been very careful this year not to over-offer to make sure they don't overshoot target numbers if grades are as artificially high as expected, but if you meet the offer conditions, you have a place - no question.

For 'near miss' results - it depends on how everyone else has done - see https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/is-it-possible-to-predict-what-universities-will-do-on-results-day
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending